Septa in Indianapolis

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
I was driving the I-465 today in Indy and saw a couple of buses painted in the distinctive SEPTA colors and SEPTA also written on the sides. Anyone know what they would be doing so far away from home? Maybe taking folks to the 500 race?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was driving the I-465 today in Indy and saw a couple of buses painted in the distinctive SEPTA colors and SEPTA also written on the sides. Anyone know what they would be doing so far away from home? Maybe taking folks to the 500 race?
Which way were they going, and did they look new?

I've seen groups of two or three brand-new (still partially shrink-wrapped) New York City Transit Authority buses eastbound on the Northwest Tollroad (I-90) west of Chicago but east of Rockford. Presumably, they were being delivered from a factory somewhere north and west of Chicago.

Which way were they going, and did they look new?

I've seen groups of two or three brand-new (still partially shrink-wrapped) New York City Transit Authority buses eastbound on the Northwest Tollroad (I-90) west of Chicago but east of Rockford. Presumably, they were being delivered from a factory somewhere north and west of Chicago.
These were NB on the east side of Indy a little N of I-70. Two of them right together and only the driver in each. I was going SB so only caught a glimpse, but definitely the SEPTA logo on them.

Well to settle my own curiousity I looked around. New Flyer builds SEPTA's new buses and they have 3 plants all located west of Chicago so I believe they are new orders being delivered

Link to The Site

07-facilities_map2.jpg

Map showing the 3 plants

Well to settle my own curiousity I looked around. New Flyer builds SEPTA's new buses and they have 3 plants all located west of Chicago so I believe they are new orders being delivered
But that would not explain why they would be as far south as Indy. Indy is not on any direct route between those three factories and Philly. Perhaps there is a subcontractor building them as well.

Back