Self Employed and the train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertRat

Lead Service Attendant
I have seen more than several comments from forum members about being self-employed. I'm curious and also am considering being self employed in a few years myself. Why do you take Amtrak? Is it because you don't have time constraints and so can afford delays if necessary? I'm assuming even self employed people have meetings to make as well. Or is it because it's always cheaper than going by air or by car? Or is it because airplanes don't have room for your equipment (computer, printer, etc)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it more relaxing myself. ^_^ . Not driving, so I can look around - and walk around even! Plus I would think that trains have potential customers depending on your line of work. Easier to talk on a train than on a plane as well.

Or is it because it's always cheaper than going by air or by car?
For short haul trips the train is cheaper, but for the most part the train is more expensive than flying. Even before the market crashed flying was cheaper. I used to pay about 250 after tax for Tucson-Charlotte round trip plenty of times. Amtrak is about double that. You do get extremely flexible tickets with the train vs air, but most of the time that doesn't matter to me (even though I routinely take advantage of it).

All of the above! I have found that I can work much much better in a roomette than almost anywhere else. It's so easy to set up notebooks, or computers and just close the door and be in a very productive place. I don't think delays are a big problem for anyone, airlines always get delayed, traffic is always prone to delays etc. so delays happen anyway you go. It's more the actual travel time on train vs. flying and yes since I'm self employed I can plan for extra travel days as I need them.

Or is it because it's always cheaper than going by air or by car?
For short haul trips the train is cheaper, but for the most part the train is more expensive than flying. Even before the market crashed flying was cheaper. I used to pay about 250 after tax for Tucson-Charlotte round trip plenty of times. Amtrak is about double that. You do get extremely flexible tickets with the train vs air, but most of the time that doesn't matter to me (even though I routinely take advantage of it).
Coach or roomette?

All of the above! I have found that I can work much much better in a roomette than almost anywhere else. It's so easy to set up notebooks, or computers and just close the door and be in a very productive place. I don't think delays are a big problem for anyone, airlines always get delayed, traffic is always prone to delays etc. so delays happen anyway you go. It's more the actual travel time on train vs. flying and yes since I'm self employed I can plan for extra travel days as I need them.
True about those delays... :rolleyes: Do you take just a computer?

I have seen more than several comments from forum members about being self-employed. I'm curious and also am considering being self employed in a few years myself. Why do you take Amtrak? Is it because you don't have time constraints and so can afford delays if necessary? I'm assuming even self employed people have meetings to make as well. Or is it because it's always cheaper than going by air or by car? Or is it because airplanes don't have room for your equipment (computer, printer, etc)?
I normally use a roomette from Chicago and a Coach back to Chicago. The reason I do this is because Amtrak's has no change fee UNLIKE THE AIRLINES! Thus if I have to extend my business trip no problem. In additon; there is no luggage fee UNLIKE THE AIRLINES! I save special computer work for the train trip. For example most of our company's sales literature was written while riding Amtrak. Lastly; I used to drive a lot for business, until one evening I almost died driving home late at night. That was the point I decided to let Amtrak drive.

We travel by train for several reasons --

* Being semi-retired gives us more time for travel

* Rail is our preferred method because it's much more relaxing

* We get to see much more of our great USA while traveling by rail

* It's just so much darn fun!!

I prefer roomette to coach when it comes to where to park my laptop. The trays in coach are great but not very accomodating, not for me anyway. I don't carry more than a flash drive and of course the power bar.

Forgot about my experience with using the lappy in the Sightseer lounge. Nice view out but not many power outlets to use of course. I do like the table for my paperwork but again can't really stay in the lounge long without a recharge.

I prefer roomette to coach when it comes to where to park my laptop. The trays in coach are great but not very accomodating, not for me anyway. I don't carry more than a flash drive and of course the power bar.
Forgot about my experience with using the lappy in the Sightseer lounge. Nice view out but not many power outlets to use of course. I do like the table for my paperwork but again can't really stay in the lounge long without a recharge.
I have purchased an external computer battery; it gives me an extra 2-3 hours before the internal computer battery starts working. I have found that 50% of the time the Superliners have outlets. It also works great on Metra.

The Superliners I've been in have great access in the coach and of course the rooms have dedicated outlets, but the lounge doesn't have much. Fastest way to make yourself popular there is to have a power bar with an extra long cord :) so others can recharges lappys and phones while still enjoying the view.

I've heard of those external batteries. Interesting idea.

Fastest way to make yourself popular there is to have a power bar with an extra long cord :) so others can recharges lappys and phones while still enjoying the view.
I do have one of them, and other users were grateful! :)

On my last trip in August, on one of the trains (I forget which), in the Sightseer behind the upstairs counter, there was a power strip there for use by passengers. It was marked "AMTRAK"! :cool: I had never seen that before - or since! It may have been on the SL, but was not on any of the 3 other Sightseers that I was on that week.

Lastly; I used to drive a lot for business, until one evening I almost died driving home late at night. That was the point I decided to let Amtrak drive.
Hm. Fall asleep?
Yes: I had the insane idea to drive from Baton Rouge to Chicago in one day! NEVER AGAIN!! Besides all the food is good on the CONO except the crab cakes (tasteless).

Ouch. Yeah. Seems like a good idea but never is...

I guess train travel is deductible for taxes? Of course rules are different for each situation, but I'm assuming there are some deductions for business...

I find it more relaxing myself. ^_^ . Not driving, so I can look around - and walk around even! Plus I would think that trains have potential customers depending on your line of work. Easier to talk on a train than on a plane as well.
OK, that begs the question, "What line of work?"

I am currently unemployed, but I used to be self-employed- as an internet-based jeweler. There is an old cliché about being self-employed: you can choose to work any 90 hours a week that you want. There is a lot of truth to it. It takes a lot of work to run a business like mine, and I worked my butt off for a number of years there.

However, as I was my own boss there were things I could choose to do on my own. My accounting system was my own. My expensing system was my own. I could write things down my way and keep track of things the way I felt like it.

My business operated fairly locally, and the majority of my travel was by car. But, for instance, if I had a potential client (I did high-end sales on contract) in Buffalo, I could make an appointment to view the stone for sale at any reasonable time for them- lets say 6:30 in the evening after they get home from work, with the assumption being that we'd discuss it over dinner. I talk with them and discuss with them, I tell them the stone will be worth, lets say, $30-40k. We agree to terms, a contract, a 5% or $1750 commission based on the greater, with my listing for sale the next day and a guarantee of sale by 12 days from the meeting.

Now, I have a lot of options on this. I could leave my house in New Jersey at 5AM the same day and drive like mad to get to Buffallo in time, check into my hotel after the meeting, and list the stone from my laptop the next morning. Or I can leave the house at 3 pm the day before, get there at 3 in the morning, grab a hotel room, and get up at 3 in the afternoon to prepare for the meeting.

Because I could set my own pattern of life, there were methods of travel and living availible to me. But I wouldn't say it gave me more time. Just time more on my own terms.

Ouch. Yeah. Seems like a good idea but never is...
I guess train travel is deductible for taxes? Of course rules are different for each situation, but I'm assuming there are some deductions for business...
Yes. As is driving, flying, taking a bus, or any other form of travel.

I am self employed and when I have to travel out of state for a conference, I take Amtrak.

Aside from always having preferred rail travel and having an ever-increasing dislike of flying, my business is in railroad and rail transit consulting. I figure I should support the industry that pays my bills, although I haven't done work for Amtrak.

When sleeping accomodation is required and you can't book very far ahead, you can often find cheaper flights so saving money isn't a prime factor for me although I do try to get the best deal for my clients as they pay for my travel. Avoiding airports and flying cattle cars is more of an issue so I guess it's a quality of life argument. If you have to travel a lot, comfort and stress reduction become more important with every year you are on the road. In fact, I really look forward to the train trip as being a perk of the job, the longer the trip, the better.

Gord

I find rail more comfortable for me as well. Flying is very hard on my ears and I don't enjoy being pretty much chained to my seat. The views out the window are incredible at 30,000 feet but that's about it.

I find rail more comfortable for me as well. Flying is very hard on my ears and I don't enjoy being pretty much chained to my seat. The views out the window are incredible at 30,000 feet but that's about it.
Well I find the view at 30,000 feet boring, Five hours absolutely the same view. :rolleyes:

Aloha

Not at sunset time, surely! The colors and the rays are amazing.

Still not enough to keep me flying though. I'm just saying.

Well I find the view at 30,000 feet boring, Five hours absolutely the same view. :rolleyes:

Aloha
Ask your pilot if he'll fly at 32,000, maybe things will be better. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back