Select Plus and Metropolitan Lounge Access

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesteldorf

Lead Service Attendant
Hello,

I am typing this from the Metro Lounge. I've been to Chicago twice in the past two weeks and each time had to insist/nearly argue before I was allowed access. Not a huge deal, but I hate being looked at as if I am a freeloader or someone who doesn't belong. I even suggested to AGR that they print Metropolitan/Acela Access on the new cards.

I know that AGR is under new management and it may only be partially under their control. However, does anyone have any advice and/or connections to AGR and/or Chigago Union Station to educate attendants so that this problem is minimized.

Yes, I ride coach into Chicago since La Crosse is so close. It is a given that when given a choice, I would rather wait in the Metro Lounge. Anyone else been having problems too?

Hello,
I am typing this from the Metro Lounge. I've been to Chicago twice in the past two weeks and each time had to insist/nearly argue before I was allowed access. Not a huge deal, but I hate being looked at as if I am a freeloader or someone who doesn't belong. I even suggested to AGR that they print Metropolitan/Acela Access on the new cards.

I know that AGR is under new management and it may only be partially under their control. However, does anyone have any advice and/or connections to AGR and/or Chicago Union Station to educate attendants so that this problem is minimized.

Yes, I ride coach into Chicago since La Crosse is so close. It is a given that when given a choice, I would rather wait in the Metro Lounge. Anyone else been having problems too?
Check with RTABERN. He used to have this problem but got it fixed. He may be able to give you some tips.

One thing I did some time ago was to make a note of the person at the Metropolitan Lounge desk (name, if possible), and send a comment/complaint to Amtrak each time it occurred. If the agent was never informed of the rule, then hopefully that complaint will result in the agent being so informed.

That said, I haven't had a problem getting into the lounge in a while.

Usually when I'm in Chicago I'm either arriving or departing in a sleeper so it's a non-issue for me. However last year at the Gathering I did enter the lounge once using my Select Plus card. It did create a bit of confusion for the agent on duty who wanted to know what train I was going to be on. I explained that I wasn't departing on a train, just wanted to join my friends who were departing on a train. Eventually she just gave me a pass without a train number on it, but then changed her mind and still wrote train #48 on the pass for some reason.

Needless to say after Bill caught the City of NOL I just left the lounge rather than trying to board the LSL with my pass. :lol:

Back