Seeking itinerary suggestions: PVD to Ocean City (MD) or Elmira (NY)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant
My sister’s collegiate athletic team is competing in Ocean City, Md., on February 22-23, and in Elmira, N.Y., on March 7, and I’m looking at going to one or the other from Providence, R.I. I’ve looked at what Google, Transit, Greyhound, and Amtrak have suggested, and both destinations seem to entail a complex journey.
Those familiar with Elmira or Ocean City—what are the best/most reliable connections from those places to nearby transportation hubs?

Ocean City would be easier, as you could book a single Amtrak reservation via a NER or Acela to BWI and a connecting van from there. Multiple same-day options exist for this itinerary. Elmira would require taking the overnight Regional to connect to either a Keystone and connecting bus from Harrisburg or to an Empire Service and non-Amtrak ticketed bus from Rochester which requires a connection en route.

Looks like Amtrak from Providence to BWI, and then a thruway van connection to Ocean City would be easy enough, although somewhat pricey?

Oh, I see it was already suggested...

Getting from Providence to Elmira is more difficult, using various connections to reach Elmira via Albany and Binghamton or Albany and Syracuse...it is much easier to connect via New York City, using rail or bus, and then bus via Binghamton to Elmira.

Getting from Providence to Elmira is more difficult, using various connections to reach Elmira via Albany and Binghamton or Albany and Syracuse...it is much easier to connect via New York City, using rail or bus, and then bus via Binghamton to Elmira.
That's why we need the NYS Southern Tier service being discussed elsewhere.;)

Thank you all for the insights on the regional transportation picture in Elmira and Ocean City. Based on your suggestions and additional research, it appears that Ocean City is the more accessible destination. Amtrak’s ticketed connecting van service via BWI is out of my price range ($200+ each way) so it looks like a combination of Amtrak PVD-WIL and Greyhound WIL-OCM via Salisbury will best fit within my means.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the insights on the regional transportation picture in Elmira and Ocean City. Based on your suggestions and additional research, it appears that Ocean City is the more accessible destination. Amtrak’s ticketed connecting van service via BWI is out of my price range ($200+ each way) so it looks like a combination of Amtrak PVD-WIL and Greyhound WIL-OCM via Salisbury will best fit within my means.

When I went to Ocean City last summer, I went to WIL and then took a rental car. The Greyhound option would seem to be good for you.

Renting a car in Wilmington is very easy as the rental agencies are in the station. It’s an easy drive on 4 lane road to OC, especially that time of year with little beach traffic. I would be surprised if a rental for a couple days, especially if over a weekend, is much more expensive than bus; but you do have to be 25 or older for Avis, that I use.

That's why we need the NYS Southern Tier service being discussed elsewhere.;)
Is there even train tracks In that area? They should make a train going upstate through Middletown, Monticello, Binghamton, Elmira, Ithaca.

Back