Seeing the US via the 2 zone loophole (Part 3)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_traveler

Engineer
LAX-SAN 10/11/08 #768 Dp 9:40 AM

This day was planned to be spent with the group at the Gathering riding the transit system in SAN. We were scheduled to meet at LAUS and travel together on a Surfliner departing LAUS at 8:30 AM (on #566). I went to the QT to pick up my tickets. However, when I looked at the tickets available, I realized that I had printed these tickets – and they were back at the hotel! (Luckily, it was only a 5 minute walk.) I had set it up so I could pick up all my train tickets at the QT – but because I had a voucher, I had to print these at home! (Luckily, with the Surfliner being unreserved, I could use those tickets on #768 without exchanging them.)

I paid for this segment, earning an additional 200 AGR points!

SAN 10/11/08

This day was spent the local transit system in SAN.

SAN-LAX 10/11/08 #591 Dp 6:20 PM

This train I made! A number of the group members – including me - chose to ride BC back to LAUS.

I also paid for this segment, earning an additional 200 AGR points.

LAX Amtrak yard 10/12/08

The group received a tour of the LA Amtrak Maintenance yards!

The return trip east was not the “Trip From H3ll”, but it was close – so I’ll call it “the Trip From Heck” instead! EDIT: It turned out to be “The Trip from H3LL” after all!

LAX-BFD 10/12/08 #5817 Dp 1:15 PM

This trip was a combo of an Ambus from LAX to BFD and then I planned on taking an SJ from BFD to EMY (to earn some more AGR points) and catch the CS there. However, it did not work out as planned!

Instead of joining the group for lunch, I left the group around noon because I wanted to catch the 1:15 PM bus to BFD. I noticed the departure board at LAUS had “Bakersfield bus 1:05” and “Bakersfield bus 1:15” listed. Around 1:10, I noticed the 1:05 disappeared from the board. So I asked a security guard where the buses depart – since there was no announcement. He walked me around the corner to the bus loading area. There the 1:05 was ready to pull out, and I was instructed to board the 2nd bus. When I did, the bus was more than ¾ full! (They must announce only outside!)

The bus departed about on time. But about 1 hour out, while climbing the Grapevine, the bus BROKE DOWN! (The driver thought that it may have been an injector problem.) So I got to sit and watch the I-5 traffic zipping by for about 1 hour from the side of I-5 – until another bus arrived!

By the time we got going again, and I finally arrived in BFD, the train to EMY had departed! However, there was a later train to SAC (that connected to the CS), so I could take that instead. But that meant that I had 1 ½ hours to wait at BFD!

BFD-SAC 10/12/08 #703 Dp 6:20 PM

Since this train originated in BFD, the train was at the station. Although departure was scheduled for 6:20, the boarding began at 5:45. The consist of the SJ was all Amtrak California equipment, power (P-40?) #2051 and 4 Amtrak California coaches (numbers unknown).

Although departure from BFD was on time, we held for a freight outside of Lodi for almost 1 hour, so arrival into SAC was about 50 minutes late, Because this is a guaranteed connection to the CS, the CS was held for our arrival. By the time all the passengers made the transfer, #14 departed SAC almost 30 minutes late.

This LAX-SAC segment would have cost $52. Being a “special route”, I redeemed 1,000 AGR points, for a ¢/point value of 5.2¢/point!

SAC-PDX 10/12/08 #14 Dp 11:59 PM

As explained in the previous section, #14 departed about 12:30 AM, due to the late arrival of #703. I had planned on try for an onboard upgrade, but due to the late arrival and all the troubles that day, I just wanted to crash and get some sleep, so I did not even try.

#14 was one of the very few (at least for me) trains that I was assigned a specific seat upon boarding. To my surprise, seat # 62 is the 2nd row from the front of the car. The good news was that I was only 2 rows from the Sightseer. The bad news was that seat # 62 was an aisle seat and there was a light right above the seat that stayed on all night – plus the noise from the end door opening (from people going to the Sightseer). Luckily, I had a coat that I placed over my head to darken it out.

#14 consisted of 2 P-42’s (#131 and #97), an odd engine (#456), baggage car # 1210, transition sleeper #39033, 3 sleepers (#32020, #32056 and #32013), PPC #39974 (Sonoma Valley), Diner #38059, Sightseer #33015 and 2 coaches (#34136 and #34515)

Because I went coach, the only meal I bought on #14 was breakfast. My meal companion was a man from TX doing a western circle trip on Amtrak.

The ironic thing was that I saw this specific train on the LA S&I line prior to #14’s release to LAUS during our tour of the LA yard. I then caught up with it that night in SAC!

As explained, #14 departed SAC about 30 minutes late. Due to scheduled track work in the mudslide area, UP would not release #14 from KFS until 10:25 AM – a 2 hour delay. Arrival into PDX was over 2:20 late - arrival was after 7 PM on 10/13!

A “good” thing was seeing the mudslide area in daylight.

I paid for this segment, because the ¢/point value did not make an award redemption feasible. I earned an additional 236 AGR points for this segment.

PDX-SEA 10/14/08 #586 Dp 12:15 PM

After a short overnight stay, I departed PDX for the trip back east – again using the 2 zone roomette award PDX-BHM and a 1 zone BC award ATL-KIN with a paid BHM-ATL segment.

This train utilized Talgo equipment, and because I was on an AGR roomette award, I was in BC. The consist was #90251, #7900, #7450, #7550, #7800, #7300, #7500, #7400, #7425, #7402, #7403, #7404, #7101 and cab #470.

Departure from PDX was on time, but arrival in SEA was 15 minutes late.

My impression of Talgo was that it is nice, but the each car is smallish (with under IRRC 50 seats each) and being so low to the tracks, it is sometimes rough riding. (But these are my impressions only.)

SEA-CHI 10/14/08 #8 Dp 4:45 PM

Train #8 operated from SEA-CHI, but was combined with train #28 in SPK. The consist was 3 P-42 (#’s unknown), baggage car #1206, transitional sleeper #39038, 2 sleepers (#32041 and #32017), diner #38068, 2 coaches (#34080 and #34111) were “train #8”, and 2 coaches (#33024 and #31041), Sightseer Lounge #34138 and sleeper #32073 were “train #28”.

Departure from SEA was on time. Train #8 was later combined with #28 in SPK.

The ironic part was that upon boarding, our SA recognized us and said to us “Back again?” The thing was he was not our SA before! Although we traveled on “train” # 27 (to PDX) the week before, he was on “train” # 7 (to SEA). Chris recognized us for our taking photos at the numerous stops of the EB!

Our dinner companions were a couple from MKE celebrating their 50th anniversary!

The following morning, my breakfast companion was a woman from the UK who is traveling around the US for 2 ½ months. She came to the US, and is departing from here, via a freighter. She said it was very interesting being a vegetarian aboard a Polish freighter.

During the crossing of the Rockies, I observed that the ground in spots was covered by snow!

The portion from SEA-MSP was uneventful.

#8/28 arrived in MSP on time – or even early! However “train #808” (1 coach) was added to #8/28, and also 3 PV’s were added to the train. However, upon arrival into CUS, I did not get the car numbers or names. We departed MSP 45 minutes late, and arrived CHI about 35 minutes late.

The complete PDX-BHM segment (including the CHI-CVS portion described in Part 4 and the CVS-BHM segment I did not get to take) would have “cost” $1,679 and “cost” 20,000 AGR points. The ¢/point value for this segment would have been 8.4¢/point!

http://picasaweb.google.com/railfan51/LAXSANPDXCHI#

NEXT: The REAL trip from H3ll!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back