Securing Luggage in Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
What type of racks are used in the luggage storage room in the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge. Could a travel lock with a cable be used to attach luggage to the rack?

If you have used a lock what would you recommend? I do not need TSA approved since it will never be used on luggage other than storage.

Very limited space for luggage at the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge. If you really feel the need a travel lock with cable would work. You would be a space hog, and clearly have ID your baggage as containing high value items. However you could wrap it around a post, and then thur the bags.

When they redid the Metropolitan Lounge to the current location they fail to match the luggage space that they had from the last space. Then they add “fee to enter”, and opps too many bags no place to put them.

Maybe it is just as good to just have something distinctive on the handle to keep someone from taking it by mistake. There is no way to actually secure a zippered bag.

Maybe it is just as good to just have something distinctive on the handle to keep someone from taking it by mistake. There is no way to actually secure a zippered bag.
I have colorful duct tape on my luggage. One so that I know it’s mine and hopefully so others know it’s not theirs.

I have used duct tape, color duct tape, and ribbons. Of course back in day everyone had the same green duffel bag. So travel with a group it was still a mess find the right bag. Big colorful name tag, and a full list of contacts inside the bag. That how I roll.

We use a Masterlock cable gun lock to lock the handles of our luggage together at the Chicago lounge. It is not a guarantee against theft by any means but it hopefully prevents someone from inadvertently lugging off a bag when there are two other bags attached to it. We have never used it on the train itself but have attached distinctive tape or ribbons to the handles of the luggage. The ribbon on my wife's luggage is so gaudy and obnoxious looking that I am sure people conclude that the bag obviously belongs to a mentally deranged person who would have nothing of value. in their luggage.

Open luggage racks at the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge. My two suitcases are cabled together and, if possible, to the rack.
Yes the cable can be cut but that's not likely. As Rasputin said, two bags attached together provides a certain amount of deterrent - accidental or intentional.

Back