Second thoughts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazy Z

Service Attendant
I have been planning and checking and thinking about this "little" trip for quite awhile. We started with going to Savannah, then added on the Florida part and it just keeps growing!

So last night, my very tired 10 year old started asking some questions about the trip and was getting sort of nervous/upset (mostly brought on by end of the week school exhaustion) and finally asked:

"When did I agree to this?"
biggrin.gif

Oh my! I laughed so hard this morning when I remembered. That is now our slogan for the our trip!

She is concerned about 5 days on the train. We are going straight over California to Florida because she wants to be in Florida for her birthday (which is the day we are scheduled to arrive). We can't leave earlier or stop along the way. Our return trip will have the stops. It is funny...she is concerned about being "stuck" on the train for 5s day, and that is my last concern. We have always been able to entertain ourselves and by that time, as past years have shown, we will be worn out from the always busy last months of school and will need the rest!!

My concerns, which will not be shared with her, of course are: personal safety, motion sickness, bed bugs (20+ nights in hotels has me trying to come up with a plan), transportation off the trains, eating healthy for 3 weeks away from home, staying healthy, expenses of hotels, meals, etc.

Have you ever taken a long, long trip with young children? She will be turning 11 on the trip.

We did Florida and back once - but that was just one overnight each way. And NYC on a night train with young kids (bedroom). But your daughter will love it. It's much better than camping :)

And the scenery will be remarkable. Plus you all will meet so many other folks. Take her to the Sightseer Lounge where viewing is best, and bring lots of books.

We have done many family trips (we have 5 children) and the train is our favorite mode of transport. My daughters will always bring a lot of games. And we bring books.

I know that someone here had posted a link to a YouTube Video of a family that travelled by train from St. Louis to Seattle, documented it on video and edited into a heart warming movie on Youtube. Check that out...

BTW - My 17 year old daughter just completed a 7 day Amtrak trek - going around the US with our grown son (all on Amtrak points with a roomette). They had a blast. They went to Chicago - then the TX Eagle to San Antonio, spent a night there - then the Sunset to New Orleans (another hotel), then home on the Crescent to Washington. 4 nights on trains and two in hotels. But back when they were growing up - we always looked forward to an occasional Amtrak trip, even with young ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 nights on a train may seem like a lot to her right now. But I'll bet you that when you reach Florida, she will be saying

WHY DOES IT HAVE TO END SO SOON?

sad.gif

I know I do!

mosking.gif
But really, I'm almost sure that she will find others near her age, or that she'll just enjoy viewing the scenery out the window. (I find the view is better and more interesting at 3-15 feet than at 30,000 feet!
tongue.gif
)​

Who knows - by the end of the trip, there may be a new AU member!

cool.gif

I would look at flying out and taking the train back. It will resolve numerous issues:

1) The overall trip will be shorter.

2) She won't be "trained out".

3) The fun part will be on the way back so after the Florida vacation is over, the "second vacation" will begin.

4) You can use the extra days for more or longer stops on the way back or just save those days.

5) Since train cost generally does not drop for round trips, your only concern is finding a good deal on a one-way flight.

Bed bugs? you are really over-worrying there unless you plan to stay on no-tell motels. We travel a lot and don't have problems.

Healthy eating on the road is more than possible. It is only a matter of choosing wisely. Three meals on a train? Make that lunch lighter with a salad in lieu of a full meal.

:hi: Sounds like trip anxiety, a common malady before leaving home on long journeys, but the excitement of rolling out into the night on a train will overcome lots of this anxiety!My ten year old Grandaughter has taken several day trips on Trains with me and keeps asking when we can take a "Real" trip on the Train and go to Disneyworld!Shes a typical ten year old, with all that entails, but once the Train is rolling up the tracks it works out fine, just like your trip will! ^_^

Wouldnt worry a bit about personal safety, you are going to be in sleepers, the safest way to travel of all, bedbugs have disappeared from the scare-em-to death media, as was said only the hot bed places would have this problem! Taking healthy snacks on the Train to supplement the Amtrak choices is always a good idea, and a small DVD Player (lap-top works too)to watch movies always helps! I-Pod music is another tool, and of course yall can Walk the Train!" for exercise and change of scenery!

This time of year there are alot of people from various countries, cities and all walks of life traveling, and the scenery is really nice outside the windows of the train! (guess I'll have to admit the desert isnt all that great IMO, but most of that occurs @ night! ^_^ )

This is a great time of year to be in Florida, the weather is great, the crowds are down, and the prices, if you do your research, should be lower now that the Summer is over and the holidays season is still in the future!

Just relax, let the excitement build, keep reading this forum,ask questions and before you know it youll be packing, the excitment will be building and youll want the trip to last forever! :) As the commercial says, hotels/tickets etc. $2,000! Memories that last Forever: Priceless! :wub:

Five days cooped up on a train is a long time, especially for a child. Children view time differently than adults. I remember when I was a young boy a single day seemed to last forever. Even as an adult I still find five days on a train to be a bit much to stomach. Not everyone can rest soundly and comfortably on-board a train and lack of restful sleep can create additional stress for them. I would strongly second the suggestion above to fly one way and ride the train the other. That would do a lot to cut down on the traveling time and also show your daughter that you take her views to heart. If this trip is for her birthday and she's concerned about being burned out why not make a change to address her concerns?

My concerns, which will not be shared with her, of course are: personal safety, motion sickness, bed bugs (20+ nights in hotels has me trying to come up with a plan), transportation off the trains, eating healthy for 3 weeks away from home, staying healthy, expenses of hotels, meals, etc.
I think you'll be safe on the train but if you have specific question about it feel free to ask. Motion sickness might be an issue for people who get car sick or boat sick. I can't advise you on bed bugs. I have yet to catch any. I tend to stay in 3/4 star hotels but I don't know if that's the primary factor or not. Transportation questions can be answered by people who are familiar with the areas you'll be visiting so feel free to ask. Eating healthy can be a huge issue on-board Amtrak. My advice is to bring as much of your own food as you can. Most of what Amtrak stocks and serves is pure junk food. I have saved several thousand dollars on hotels all over the world thanks to priceline and hotwire but they're not for everyone.

I’ve done many, many train trips with the kids (including a 10-day trip with only one day spent off the train), and not once did I hear “I’m bored” or “I want to get off the train”.

Sleepers are nice for kids because not only does it feel like bunk-beds, which I suppose they are, but being able to just crawl up in to their upper bunk and read or use electronic devices gives them a feeling of having a personal space removed from what you might be doing. Most of the time, my kids were looking out the window.

The key with Amtrak is eating light. You are not going to find healthy food on the train besides the fruit you might have in the sleepers. So, the best way to handle food is to look at the menu and see if there is one plate of something that you both can share, instead of each of you getting a separate meal. Snack on some of the fruit if you are still hungry. I drink plenty of water on the trips to help keep the metabolism going and flush out all the sodium that is in the meals. As long as you make each meal as light as possible, you will be fine for being on the train that long.

Try and step off at as many stops as you can during the day. Even on short stops, you can get off the train and walk down (or up) to a different car and get back on board there. We would get off at our sleeper and walk down to one of the Coach cars, then walk back to our sleeper on board the train. It is decent exercise considering the situation.

I’ve yet to have one of my kids tell me that our last train trip was too long.

My son and I recently completed a trip out to Glacier and Yellowstone and back all on the train from the East Coast. He thought the train ride was too long. He enjoys riding the train, but he is the active sort who doesn't like sitting still for long periods of time. One thing that really helps is to make sure you spend time in the Sightseer lounge and not in your sleeper the whole time. Also, be sure to take a deck of cards and other games to entertain her. He said many times that he was ready to get off. However, a couple months out, he said he would go again even though he is ready to get off when we get there. It is a great way to see the country and your daughter may really like it. Think of it as an adventure because it surely will be and you will be making memories for both of you.

Thank you EVERYONE for your honest and valued thoughts, opinions and suggestions!

Flying is not an option, as she is 100% afraid to fly. I will give her a couple of weeks or so and bring it up again. I think it is hard for her to get her head around it all. One thing I know about my girl, if she steps on that train, she is IN it all the way and will do great. She has never done something without taking the first step herself (does that make sense?)

The thing is, for us, this is the only way in the coming years that we will be able to travel any distance. Driving is just too far and don't want to do that with just her and I. She is very curious about all the places we are planning to visit, has her own ideas about them, etc.

Texas Sunset scared me with " bit much to stomach."
biggrin.gif
part of being on the train for 5 days! The plan for going straight over is so we can get there by her birthday, which is her wish. We can change it and stop over and back doing the same, which would break it up a bit. I will slowly start playing a scene of celebrating her birthday in New York City instead!

I know she wants to do this, and I do, too. I know it is not going to be easy, but it is a gift to be able to travel in this manner. Our lives are so busy and consumed by things that need to be done. I believe that once she settles in and realizes that she does not have homework to do and bedtimes and responsibilities and that she has my attention and time for the next 5 days, she will "get" it and be fine!

rolleyes.gif

Hi,

I have visited the States and ridden coast to coast over many Amtrak miles with my son, from him being age 10, in a mix of sleeper and coach seating.

Safety was never an issue for one minute, and you can bring stuff along to "convert" your sleeper into a familiar place... books, games, dvd players, etc, etc. You should bear in mind that any opinions on this forum are just that... individual opinions, not expert advice... you know your child better than any of us. My advice is to go for it, just describe the whole trip as "matter of fact" as possible, a non airborne means of transport to deliver you to Florida for her birthday. The fact that it might turn out to be a lot of fun, a mini adventure in itself, could then be a bonus.

Children tend to pick up on their parents own concerns, so the more relaxed and low key you are about the train, the less it might become a negative deal for your child.

I find long distance Amtrak train trips sort of turn passengers into a "mobile village community", with folk looking out for each other as the journey progresses.

I wish you the very best of luck on your trip, and hope your trip is the first of many!

Ed :cool:

Hi,

I have visited the States and ridden coast to coast over many Amtrak miles with my son, from him being age 10, in a mix of sleeper and coach seating.

Safety was never an issue for one minute, and you can bring stuff along to "convert" your sleeper into a familiar place... books, games, dvd players, etc, etc. You should bear in mind that any opinions on this forum are just that... individual opinions, not expert advice... you know your child better than any of us. My advice is to go for it, just describe the whole trip as "matter of fact" as possible, a non airborne means of transport to deliver you to Florida for her birthday. The fact that it might turn out to be a lot of fun, a mini adventure in itself, could then be a bonus.

Children tend to pick up on their parents own concerns, so the more relaxed and low key you are about the train, the less it might become a negative deal for your child.

I find long distance Amtrak train trips sort of turn passengers into a "mobile village community", with folk looking out for each other as the journey progresses.

I wish you the very best of luck on your trip, and hope your trip is the first of many!

I love Caravanman's answer to the OP. Everything he said is what we have discovered about train travel with a child, especially the "mobile village community". We started taking long distance trips with our granddaughter 2 years ago when she was 7. In June, just she and I went from California to Virginia to visit relatives there. Three nights each way in sleepers, meals in the diner, lots of time in the SSL, making new friends--it was all fantastic. She is always happy to get back home to her mom, dad, and dogs, but she is always kind of sad when she has to get off the train at the end of our trips. We start planning our next trip while we are still on the train.

So just relax, allow your daughter to relax, and get ready to make some great memories with her.

Hi,

Thanks, Ed...your post brought tears to my eyes. I do know her best :) I have kept my concerns away from her..was surprised when she expressed concern herself!

I remember several years back, when she was about 4 years old. I wanted to take her to visit family in Italy. I was advised by most of my family that it would be better to wait until she was older, that it would be too much. I now look back and regret not taking her. She would have been the perfect age. At that time, I was all she needed and she was quite "portable"!

She is some what "shy", but loves meeting new people and talking, etc. I think she is in for a treat!

Thanks, again!

My kid is a "roll with the punches" type of kid. He makes due on our overnight (2-day) trips to Florida. I get us a roomette on the Viewliner, and immediately pull down the upper bunk. The upper bunk becomes his play area.

We bring his DS and a DVD player. And therefore, he can while away the hours playing video games or watching movies.

However, train travel itself is not exciting nor entertaining to most kids. I doubt any kid would be "wowed" by a train especially over 5 days. Nor do kids particularly enjoy watching the scenery go by the window for days on end.

In terms of pure entertainment value, I would put a 5-day train ride about equal to spending 5 days in the back seat of a Civic.

I dont ride much anymore; I have neither the money nor the time. But I am in the travelling flea marketeering business. Bed bugs? I've never had trouble with them and I DO stay in no-tell motels. $35 a night dumps. Stains? Sure. Bad mattresses? Don't get me started. Bed bugs? Not once.

Seriously, I'm sure you stay nicer than I do, and my main stress is whether they can park my class 6 rig!

Have you ever taken a long, long trip with young children? She will be turning 11 on the trip.
Aloha

At that age, give her something to be in charge of. At ,9 on a shorter trip, I put my granddaughter in charge of Meal reservations and Deciding when to have the beds changed from day and night arrangements. She did an excellent job and describes her trip as "awesome".

Aloha

At that age, give her something to be in charge of. At ,9 on a shorter trip, I put my granddaughter in charge of Meal reservations and Deciding when to have the beds changed from day and night arrangements. She did an excellent job and describes her trip as "awesome".

Good idea! In her classroom this year, the teacher has assigned the students each a job. They take it seriously and get "paid" at the end of the week! Thank you!

Aloha

OK, that does it, Eric. We MUST get our gals together on a train sometime. (I think your granddaughter is a month or 2 older than mine).

That is exactly what we did last summer. I put Miki in charge of diner reservations and room arrangements. The SCA loved it! And Miki describes our trip as "Awesome"!

Patti

I was just thinking about the first train ride with my son, he was 10. It was a day and 1 overnight to L.A. He is pretty active and I really worried about him being cooped up. He took his PSP and mp3 player. He pretty much stayed in the upper bunk of the roomette the whole time, it was his little space. He seemed really content there. Even in coach this year, him and his friend had their own little coach seat space.

I never let him walk about the train by himself, always went down to the restrooms with him. I would leave him in the roomette if I needed the restroom or to take a shower in the morning. I was a little hesitant about that but figured most people would not know he was there by himself.

He did want to go to the lounge car a few times to get a snack or soda. We ate all of our meals in the dining car which he loved.

Before we left I went to a candy store and bought a few different candies he could have. And, at Target they have the dollar area, I bought him a couple of little things there and spaced it out to give to him on the train. I cannot remember what I bought though. With your daughter you could get her a lipgloss, a cute writing pad and a fun pen, bobbles for her hair. It gives them something else to do and something to look forward to, what the next little gift will be.

Does she have a gaming device to take? You could get her a new game to give her on the train. I bought my son a new movie for his PSP.

You two will have a great time. Would love to take a longer trip with my son.

I was just thinking about the first train ride with my son, he was 10. It was a day and 1 overnight to L.A. He is pretty active and I really worried about him being cooped up. He took his PSP and mp3 player. He pretty much stayed in the upper bunk of the roomette the whole time, it was his little space. He seemed really content there. Even in coach this year, him and his friend had their own little coach seat space.

I never let him walk about the train by himself, always went down to the restrooms with him. I would leave him in the roomette if I needed the restroom or to take a shower in the morning. I was a little hesitant about that but figured most people would not know he was there by himself.

He did want to go to the lounge car a few times to get a snack or soda. We ate all of our meals in the dining car which he loved.

Before we left I went to a candy store and bought a few different candies he could have. And, at Target they have the dollar area, I bought him a couple of little things there and spaced it out to give to him on the train. I cannot remember what I bought though. With your daughter you could get her a lipgloss, a cute writing pad and a fun pen, bobbles for her hair. It gives them something else to do and something to look forward to, what the next little gift will be.

Does she have a gaming device to take? You could get her a new game to give her on the train. I bought my son a new movie for his PSP.

You two will have a great time. Would love to take a longer trip with my son.

Thank you, good ideas! The trick is to bring enough to help with boredom, but not too much to carry! :) We BOTH like to play games on the DS (I have my own!), so that is well worth bringing, and I like the idea of a new game for it. Anxious to teach her a few more card games. We also LOVE puzzles, was thinking about one of the puzzle mats?? We both like to text our friends (OK, who is the adult here?). I know she will miss "her" shows on TV, but we will have to make sure they record and she can have an iCarly, BTR, SpongeBob - a-thon when we get back (which will give me time to catch up on my 3 weeks' worth of work!!)

I have not spoke of the trip the last few days, and she herself is asking again and last night wanted to know if we would be going by Niagra Falls! She DOES want to go on the trip, just nervous about confinement, etc.

I love the dollar aisle idea - she LOVES little surprises. I also have some little card things that ask questions and you share answers (like convo starters), which might be good to bring.

Thanks again for the ideas :) we appreciate it!

Don't forget a camera. My grandddaughter has taken some beautiful pictures of scenery out the window, interesting stations, new friends she met in the lounge, and from the "railfan window" in the back. She entered some in the county fair's youth photography division and won some nice ribbons.

Don't forget a camera. My grandddaughter has taken some beautiful pictures of scenery out the window, interesting stations, new friends she met in the lounge, and from the "railfan window" in the back.
Aloha

This is a good suggestion. My Granddaughter took pictures on the OTOL trip. They are labeled "from Evan's" camera in this gallery. Some are good, some are her having fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back