Second Norfolk train starting in March

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is an added southbound train to Norfolk Monday-Friday, plus Sunday (presumably to turn for the second Monday morning northbound).  So by my count, there are 13 southbound trains to Norfolk and 12 northbound trains from Norfolk. 

I hadn't noticed the extra SB train.  So, that adds an extra frequency overall on Sundays (rather than "just" an extension of a train from RVR to Hampton Roads).

Seeing this, I checked Saturday and there are now five NB Regionals on Saturday (versus four on Sunday).  Right now, it's 4 and 4.  So the state got an extra RVR-WAS round-trip (NB Saturday, SB Sunday) with a deadhead thrown in.  TBH I'm now puzzled at the logic for making it a "screwball" deadhead...the existing one (to NPN) was due to some oddness on that line, but there seems to be no real reason to retain it in the reshuffle.

The current schedule has 5 northbound/4 southbound regionals from/thru RVR on Saturdays, 5 southbound/4 northbound on Sundays.  I don't see an extra train north of RVR.  Virginia Beach seems to lose much of its thruway service with these changes.

IF that's the case and that's a big IF.. I see them deadheading the train to RVR. I'm sure that NS wouldn't be to keen on a train set sitting there all weekend. 
The Amtrak facility where the current NFK train overnights is on an otherwise long-abandoned branch. It's located at a wye where the main line turns northwest to head to the Lambert's Point yard. This branch turns east and used to connect to the line that runs to the Navy base. That connection has been abandoned and the old rail bed is now people's back yards along Cape Henry Ave. where it intersects Ballentine Blvd. Amtrak's facility is at the intersection of St. Julian Ave and Maltby Ave. https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8601799,-76.2651357,221m/data=!3m1!1e3

Even if NS still owns that branch, I don't see any issue with Amtrak parking a train there on Saturdays.

If there are no deadhead moves, there will be three trainsets in Norfolk on Sunday night...One from Friday night, and two from Sunday night.

The Friday only train to NPN seems to disappear in the new scheme, eliminating the longstanding deadhead move NPN to RVR.

If there are no deadhead moves, there will be three trainsets in Norfolk on Sunday night...One from Friday night, and two from Sunday night.

I hadn't noticed the extra SB train.  So, that adds an extra frequency overall on Sundays (rather than "just" an extension of a train from RVR to Hampton Roads).

Seeing this, I checked Saturday and there are now five NB Regionals on Saturday (versus four on Sunday).  Right now, it's 4 and 4.  So the state got an extra RVR-WAS round-trip (NB Saturday, SB Sunday) with a deadhead thrown in.  TBH I'm now puzzled at the logic for making it a "screwball" deadhead...the existing one (to NPN) was due to some oddness on that line, but there seems to be no real reason to retain it in the reshuffle.
There is still a deadhead on Friday.  However, it operates from NFK instead of NPN. They are doing this because they feel the start is better served from RVR. It also appeases CSX,  a company that was instrumental in moving the departure time from NPN.

I strongly advise writing a complaint to management -- go right to Mr. Anderson -- about the failure to update the printable schedules.  It is flatly unacceptable.

Unless you have their name and address, go to the boss.  :)
Fair enough. :)  

Amtrak has issued a "Service Alert" on their website informing passengers of said train being available now starting on the 4th. 

84 will run NFK-NYP and 94 will run NFK to BOS. 

93 and 95 will run BOS to NFK. 

On Friday 95 will deadhead back to RVR. 

Anothwr article about the new service.  The article also mentions that the $132 million Acca Yard project is completed.

https://augustafreepress.com/virginia-announces-additional-amtrak-service-to-norfolk-beginning-march-4/

Amtrak has the schedule update for NE Corridor 1 (New York - Washington) dated March 4, 2019 posted,  but NE Corridor 3 which is the NE Corridor-Virginia service has no update.

Amtrak has the schedule update for NE Corridor 1 (New York - Washington) dated March 4, 2019 posted,  but NE Corridor 3 which is the NE Corridor-Virginia service has no update.
They probably don't want to update it until after 1am. It may shut down the NEC if someone falls. :ph34r:

Back