Seattle trip planning, need a few suggestions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texline

Service Attendant
We have another ballpark trip lined up This time to Seattle Safeco field. Our plan is to take the CS to Seattle. The accommodations is where we are stuck.

The hotels near the ballpark are $300 a night. The hotels in the area in Seattle are not much lower. I looked through other posts and hostels were suggested. The price is great and I am used to dorm living, however my wife won't do it. I think I came up with an alternative.

I see the light rail has a station near King Street. I was thinking get off CS at King St and take the light rail to Sea-Tac as they have a lot of chain hotels with reasonable rates.

I did see a hotel right at the end of the line. I also read some horrible reviews. The reviewers say it's a very bad neighborhood. I did see a few more a couple of blocks away that had good reviews. I am wondering if it is going to be a problem accessing light rail.

I did read about light rail being good access to downtown. We plan to see the sites and I don't want to rent a car so that works.

Any suggestions appreciated. It has been 40 + years since I was last there so nothing is familiar to me.

The train to ball parks is something my wife and I are enjoying. Again thank you to all that have helped with our travels.

Near the light rail is a good idea. However, the Tukwila/International Blvd station is on the edge of a bad neighborhood.

Your best bet would probably be a decently reviewed airport area motel that has a shuttle to the airport. You can their shuttle to the airport and the light rail from the airport to Safeco Field.

Be advised that some hotels in the surrounding area but significantly further away do have shuttles and advertise as airport hotels but are much further away than those on the International Blvd. strip. The address should be in SeaTac, not Renton or Tukwila.

The Seattle HI Hostel close to King Street Station is located in the International District about three blocks away, a short walk.

They have Private Rooms available for around $75-80 including a light Breakfast.

I've stayed there several times and think its great since most downtown Seattle Hotels are way overpriced!

Check it out on line!

I used a Homewood Suites that had a terrific deal, listed as SEATAC, but was a good five miles away. They had an on demand shuttle. We just called when we well getting close so the shuttle would be on its way. When compared to downtown pricing in June, this was a steal, plus we got breakfast, we never were back for the evening Manager's reception. We arrived on the CS and left on the EB.

I had a good experience at the Moore Hotel a few years ago. Their prices have gone up since then but are still quite reasonable, especially if you don't mind shared bathrooms. http://www.moorehotel.com/
The Moore is my hotel of choice when I visit Seattle. It's a sure sign that I have stayed there often when all the front desk clerks know me by name. ;)

The Seatac Hilton is very close to the light rail station. I felt relatively safe walking between the two in the morning dark (60'ish woman pulling a roller).

I've never actually stayed in Seattle since my brother in law lives near Redmond. However, there's certainly less expensive neighborhoods for hotels/motels in Seattle, like in North Seattle or near the University of Washington. The neighborhood might be a little bit iffy though, but there's bus and light rail service.

If you don't mind spending $15 each way on a cab ride to save $100 or more, my father and I were very favorably impressed with the Mediterranean Inn fairly close to the Space Needle.

Edit To Add: Our stay was April 2014; $101.40 plus tax for a room with two double beds for the night.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't mind spending $15 each way on a cab ride to save $100 or more, my father and I were very favorably impressed with the Mediterranean Inn fairly close to the Space Needle.

Edit To Add: Our stay was April 2014; $101.40 plus tax for a room with two double beds for the night.
There's fairly reliable public transportation between King Street Station and Queen Anne where that and other hotels are located.

Another good hotel up on the hill by the Space Needle in the Queen Anne hood is the Inn @ Queen Anne.

Small European type place at reasonable prices (for Seattle)that gives discounts for extended stays.

I stayed there for a week and really enjoyed it. Google it up.

Thank you everyone. We are dialed in. We are counting on the light rail to link it together but have a back up. Looking forward to riding the Cascades back, a new one for us. Got bedroom C on the Starlight. Safeco field down but so many more to go.

Thanks again.

There's fairly reliable public transportation between King Street Station and Queen Anne where that and other hotels are located.
Not arguing, but when you arrive with a senior citizen on a delayed Coast Starlight, the last thing you (well, I) want to do is hassle with public transportation... especially when carrying luggage for two weeks!

Have you looked at AirBNB options or Priceline?

I recently paid $85/night ($101 with tax) on Priceline for Renaissance Seattle Hotel which is downtown between 5th and 6th and walking distance to light rail stops.

I paid $3.99 to Uber from there to the Amtrak station on my morning of travel.

I currently live in an AirBNB and find the prices are quite reasonable compared to hotels.

Happy to provide links and more information about either of those options.

Lots of great lodging choices in Seattle but I would recommend staying out of the downtown area in the later evening hours. The business traffic disappears and the streets are polluted with homeless vagrants and vagabonds, We stayed up on the hill near the space needle at the Maxwell three years ago. It was a pretty nice 3 star hotel and very well maintained..

Not arguing, but when you arrive with a senior citizen on a delayed Coast Starlight, the last thing you (well, I) want to do is hassle with public transportation... especially when carrying luggage for two weeks!
The OP mentioned light rail, so it didn't seem like a stretch to suggest taking other public transportation.

Whenever I travel and need to spend the night, the only place I look for Hotel accommodations is Trip Advisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels In addition to its map feature...

SEA Hotels N&Sa.jpg

...the quantity of reviews and detailed info about each hotel far surpasses what can be found on any forum I'm familiar with. Each is ranked with respect to all the others. So far you've received mention of 8 different hotels here, some of which said little more than "I stayed here". However, on Trip Advisor those same 8 hotels have over 10,000 reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a big user of trip advisor. It is a great tool.

The suggestions here have been great. The one thing I keep forgetting is Air b&b. My grown kids use it and find fantastic places.

I should have mentioned the trip date is June. I checked out the places suggested and the rates are good now but are double or higher in June for most.

We found a few that had reasonable rates, high percentage of good reviews and were close to light rail so we booked one. Close enough to Safeco that Uber, taxi or bus is a second option. Thanks again for the tips, really helped out.

Now I am figuring out transit into Downtown. My wife has a list of places she wants to see. Hopefully it will be like our San Diego trip, everything was easy by transit for $5 a day.

My wife is getting to know Amtrak. She called the hotel and was concerned about a late check-in. The clerk said late check-in no trouble. "Yes but were traveling on Amtrak". Clerk said you can always call us but no problem.

I truly appreciate the folks on this forum. By sharing, you help me avoid problems and enhance the experience. Thanks.

We are taking Cascades to Portland on way back. We wanted to add that to our list of trains. Not such a crazy idea.

Back