Seattle Hotel/Motels

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbleweed

OBS Chief
Where is a decent place to stay in Seattle that is close to the tourist stuff (downtown?) at a decent price? Also, what are the "must sees"? The plan is to arrive on a Thursday and leave Saturday on the EB....

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is a decent place to stay in Seattle that is close to the tourist stuff (downtown?) at a decent price? Also, what are the "must sees"? The plan is to arrive on a Thursday and leave Saturday on the EB....
Charlie has just the place for you...his living room. :D

Wyndham has a couple motels a couple of blocks from the Space Needle. They're decent & average price ( around $100)

Downtown and decent price don't work well together. In July, we took the Coast Starlight to Seattle to catch a cruise, The Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square was nearly $300!

Pay a visit to Pike Place Market!

The closest hotels to the station are in the Pioneer Square area. There is a Best Western, Courtyard, and Doubletree. As you get closer to downtown a few blocks north, there are a whole bunch of options from the typical Westin / Hyatt / Sheraton's as well as many smaller boutique hotels. I personally like the Kimpton properties. Although I have never stayed there, the Edgewater looks great and has an interesting history.

Expect to pay around $200 - $300 a night, maybe a little less on a Friday night.

Keep in mind some of the touristy stuff isn't right downtown. Pikes market is downtown, but The Space Needle and associated worlds fair stuff is a little ways north. You can usually stay a little cheaper up by the Space Needle. Seattle does have a decent light rail (Link) plus the famous (or infamous) Seattle monorail which gets you from downtown to the Space Needle area.

Two or three hundred a night will get you a nice location downtown. Staying out by the airport will get a nice rate far away from everything. Pick your poison. Maybe somebody has found a way to mix oil and water but my stays in Seatlle have always conformed to one or the other.

Priceline is your friend. Make a "safety" reservation, then do Priceline about 2 weeks out (you don't get good deals on Priceline until close to the date). Go to biddingfortravel.com for Priceline bidding strategies, although be warned the webmaster is crotchety if you don't precisely conform to the format and methodolgy if you request a bidding strategy.

We have stayed several times @ The Inn @ Queen Anne on the hill close to the Space Needle and they have Kitchens since you're staying a few days!Nice and under $150 a night, check it out on Google or the Hotel sites!

As was mentioned staying by SEA- TAC is alot cheaper and the Light Rail to Seattle is convienent and cheap to ride!(Passes are available, Seniors only pay 75 cents with the Orca Card!

There is a Hostel Intl. in the International District ( China Town)Two blocks from King Street Station in the old Americans Hotel, it has private rooms and shared rooms, under $100 a night Breakfast included!

Nothing fancy but I've had no complaints staying there, the Baths and Showers are shared and down the hall!

I'm also a Seattleite. My go-to inexpensive hotel in Downtown Seattle is the Executive Hotel Pacific (http://www.executivehotelpacific.com/).

Accommodations are on the small side, but comfortable and it's in a safer area of Downtown, just a few blocks from the University Street light rail station. They also offer a complementary wine reception every night.

Must see tourist destinations are Pike Place Market (look into taking a food tour), Seattle Center (ride the monorail there from downtown), visit Kerry Park and if you have time take a ferry over to Bainbridge Island and enjoy the cute downtown area.

I always stay at the Moore Hotel. It is priced under $100/night for single room occupancy ( or even less for European style i.e several rooms sharing one bathroom) and is located just a couple of blocks from Pike Place Market and about three from the Westlake Center, where you can catch the monorail to the Space Needle and the Link Light Rail. It is an older hotel (so old you have actual room keys instead of cards :lol: ) and has its quirks: no air conditioning being one of them. But then how often does one need air conditioning in Seattle? :)

For must-sees, this is strictly my opinion of course but Pike Place Market is one of them. Be sure to see the flying fish at the Pike Place Fish Market! A visit to Seattle for me is not complete without at least one meal at Lowell's Restaurant in the Market. I love their breakfasts; their Dungeness crab omelettes are outstanding!

For other attractions, you might want to check out purchasing a Seattle City Pass. For $64, nearly half the price of regular admission, you get admission to the Space Needle (two visits within 24 hrs; I generally go once during the day and once at night), the Seattle Aquarium, and an Argosy Cruises Harbor Tour. You also get admission to your choice of either the EMP Museum or Woodland Park Zoo and admission to either the Pacific Science Center or the Museum of Flight. I've done all these except for the Museum of Flight and consider them all must-sees. A couple of other things to see and do are Bill Speidel's Underground Tour and take a ride on a Duck. One last place to visit if you are into the odd and the wierd is located on Seattle's Waterfront: Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe.

That's just a few of the things to see and do in Seattle. Now you see why I try to make it to Seattle at least once a year. So many things to see and do and I haven't scratched the surface yet! You probably wouldn't get to all these places in the time you're in Seattle unless you're more energetic than I am ( which doesn't take much!) but at least that gives you some ideas to choose from.

Space Needle - Seattle is an interesting enough backdrop to make it worth the asking price.

Pike Place Fish Market - Besides the Space Needle this is the second most iconic attraction.

Harbor Tour - If you have the time I might suggest a ferry to Bainbridge Island instead.

Underground Tour - A curious and educational experience (with the right guide).

When the weather is nice I enjoy walking along the waterfront. Maybe have a meal or a drink or find a patch of grass overlooking the water to lay on.

Follow this link for Frommers' Suggested Itineraries...

... But then how often does one need air conditioning in Seattle? :)
Umm, this week until today and a good part of August and July this year. It can get quire warm sometimes during the peak summer tourist summer tourist season (80s-low 90s). While most of us here don't have home air-conditioning, there are always some weeks each summer we wish we did. I certainly wouldn't want to go on vacation taking a chance of it being in an un-airconditioned hotel in 90 degree weather.

After about the first couple of weeks of September though May, though, no A/C would not be a concern.

Oh, I know that it can get quite warm in Seattle as I live near Spokane. And this summer has been unusually warm. Last year I stayed in Seattle when it was in the low 90's. I kept comfortable by leaving my window open during the day and running a small portable fan at night. I was out and about during the day and by the time I got

to my room in the evening it was just fine.

My choice while not cheap - would be Edgewater Hotel - only hotel directly on the water - where Beatles stayed so many years ago.

Surprised no one mentioned location of where MTV's Real World was filmed in Seattle it's just a few Piers down from my favorite hotel.

Seagull says hello Edgewater Hotel Seattle

Our room at the Edgewater hotel 2007

A bit of long gone rail history - hint Real World location is right at this corner.

Bring Back the George Benson Waterfront Streetcar Line in Seattle

Seattle Space Needle viewed from WaterFront Seafood Grill bar - new name now ( AQUA by El Gaucho Pier 70 ) other side of this building was home of Real World filming.

If you look really hard in picture linked below - you can see Duck Tour location right around corner from EMP. Hint huge duck is on top of small building.

Experience Music Project from the top of the Space Needle Seattle

Rachel the Pig Iggy and a pouty little girl

Didn't see Fremont Troll getting any love

Iggy back at the Fremont Troll

Woodland Park Zoo penguin exhibit construction August 2008

Seattle Aquarium at night summer 2007 Gnomedex

Why are these people in the trunk Ballard Locks ( Hiram M Chittenden Locks ) Seattle

On our overnight stopover between the Coast Starlight and Empire Builder in April, my father and I stayed at the Mediterranean Inn in Seattle. We found it to be clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. It's about a $10 cab ride from the Amtrak station, but it is within walking distance of the Space Needle and Key Arena. We would happily stay there again.

Just completed a trip last month that included 2 days in Seattle.

For attractions we chose the Bainbridge Island Ferry (best bargain in town at $8 round trip), Chihuly Glass and Gardens, Seattle Aquarium and Pike Place. We enjoyed all of them.

We avoided the more expensive downtown hotels and stayed down in Renton. but we already had a rental car and were departing from SEA-TAC anyway.

Weather was beautiful. We would have liked to stay longer and will definitely go back.

Stayed at Best Western Pioneer Square a few years ago. Decent room for a moderate price. As others have said, to get a low price in a nice hotel, take the light rail that has a station one block from Amtrak station out to SEATAC airport and grt a room near there.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I'm a Hostel stayer and even those in Seattle are generally a few dollars more than those in other places, A bed in a shared bunkbed room is about $35 instead of the just under $30 I'm used to paying.

The hostels due have private rooms for $70 or $80 a night. I've stayed in both, there adequate. I'm partial to the Hostel Seattle only because when I stayed there the last time I went to Seattle it turned out someone I went to college with is now a manager.

http://www.hostelseattle.com/

http://www.greentortoise.net/

City Hostel is a GREAT deal and a very enjoyable and conveniently located property. When I stayed there a few years ago I had a Private Room w. Shared Bath and had no complaints whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back