Seats In Coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJRACER

Service Attendant
This is probably up to your "guess-tamation".....but what are the fully reclined degrees (i.e. 45, 30, 90 degree) for the coach seats?? Are they wide?? Do I need something to fill the "small" of the back, or do they have a nice lumbar support. I also take it that there is a leg support and foot rest. Maybe you can describe comfort or lack there-of of the seats in general. Are the same seats in the "roomette's"??? Thank you

I believe you already asked this question before "For Coach Passengers what is provided for comfort???"

I believe you already asked this question before "For Coach Passengers what is provided for comfort???"
I may have asked a question pertaining to comfort.....this is digging for more info.....if you don't wish to respond you need not respond at all. That would be easy enough!!!!

I would kinda compare the coach seats to a recliner at home, 'cept it doesn't rock.....the roomette seats don't recline, at last with two people in the room.....

Last edited by a moderator:
The seats in coach recline maybe 30 degrees, I'm not real sure just guessing. There is a calf rest that pulls up from the bottom of your seat and a foot rest on the bottom of the seat in front of you. No lumbar support. So you may wish to plan accordingly by bringing extra pillows, etc. As someone noted in another topic, a beach ring partially inflated can be helpful to some.

And the seats in the sleepers don't recline or have any foot rests. Of course in the sleepers you'll be moving around far more, between meals in the dining car, sightseeing in the lounge, and of course actually sleeping. So less comfort is needed in some sense; sure it would be nice, but still.

Let me please remind you that the original purpose of this forum was to allow people to ask questions about Amtrak. Even if those questions were already asked and answered before.

No one is required to answer those questions however.

In my experience the seats in a roomette, at least on the two-level Western LD trains, DO recline. There is a bar underneath the front of the seat that says "Recline'. It is the first notch in what turns the seat into a the lower bunk.

It is not nearly as versatile as the coach seats - except for the fact of ultimate importance to me, it turns into a BED. I would forego meals and privacy in favor of a cheaper seat that would convert to a fully horizontal bunk.

I do like the meals and privacy, don't get me wrong. But lack of good sleep is the hardest thing about LD coach for me.

Let me please remind you that the original purpose of this forum was to allow people to ask questions about Amtrak. Even if those questions were already asked and answered before.

No one is required to answer those questions however.

THANKS Alan for sticking up for us NEWBIES... We do have a lot of questions and we appreciate all the help that you seasoned riders can afford to us. Sometimes we may ask or repeat a question for more clarification. Thanks for those helpful responses.

Yes Alan, thank you . . . . we are definitely newbie's . . . so are asking lots of questions as the excitement grows for our August trip.

Yes Alan, thank you . . . . we are definitely newbie's . . . so are asking lots of questions as the excitement grows for our August trip.

@ PJ... I guess SOME PEOPLE forget about being NEWBIES (maybe they were BORN an EXPERIENCED Amtrak rider) :giggle: ... Ask away PJ :help: ... STAY EXCITED... :p IGNORE the bad attitudes :wacko: ... IF you get OUT OF LINE... Alan will let you know... SO ASK away .... BUT MOSTLY STAY EXCITED... Our first trip begins TOMORROW NIGHT and I AM READY TO LEAVE YESTERDAY :lol: BTW IF you would like we are on the Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, The Southwest Chief and the Pacific Surfliner if you would like me to get any of those dimensions for you... not sure which train you are going to be on... and I will take pictures too :D

Last edited by a moderator:

I appreciate this info on coach seating and had not seen it before. As a newbie I've asked a lot of questions but, as I do, I think to myself that the "old timers" have probably seen the question a dozen times before. I do try to search the forums for any previous questions on the subject first. I've usually found though that the "Search" on many websites isn't that useful.

I did find this question, and answers provided, helpful to me. Thanks

It's been many years (decades actually), that I've been in a Superliner Economy Bedroo...er, make that 'Roomette' (see what I mean?)....but IIRC, the seats sort of do recline somewhat, as mentioned. When you slide the cushion forward a notch, the bottom of the lower half of the backrest slides forward along with it. The top part of the backrest is affixed, and doesn't move, so overall, it is not quite as comfortable a recliner as in the coach. On the other hand, you can pull the opposite seat (if you're alone) fully down to make a perfectly flat legrest which is better than the coach recliner setup.

And of course, when you're ready to retire for the evening, you can sleep in a flat bed, which is way better than the coach recliner. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back