Seating comfort

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Jim

Hello,I am getting ready for my first time on a train...I will climb aboard in Chicago,headed to Spokane,Wa....I have looked at seat photos and am wondering just how they are...I have a bad back and getting settled in can be tricky...Looking forward to seeing the Wesy by train....Thanks

Thank you for your imput,makes me REALLY look forward to the trip....This is a big question,I know,but what "other" advice would any of you experienced travelers offer a roookie????..Thanks again

Take along some headsets and some music. If you can get your hands on one, take a scanner as well. Also, spend as much time as you can in the observation car. I've also found it helpful to bring a pillow.

Are you going coach? Take bottled water (easier than using the water dispenser in the coach). Take a pillow and blanket. They give pillows out but they are pretty flat. Take snacks (kind of expensive if you have to buy them on the train). Hmm. That is all I can think of.

Thank you,all sound like like good suggestions....Someone said the seats(and yes this is coach) were similiar to first class airline seats,will they tilt enough to sit/lie in part on my side to help a bad back....I also have the frame of a linebacker so I'm no small fellow????

I know that the sentiment on this board is that you will do fine sleeping two nights in coach, but with a bad back and being a large person, I would urge you to think twice about it.

First: Amtrak long distance coach seats are not comparable to airline first class seats. There is no comparison to international long-haul sleeper seats, but even compared to domestic first, Amtrak coach is not an equal. The Amtrak seat pitch (leg room) may be as much or more than domestic first, but the Amtrak seats are much narrower and the seat design, comfort and cushioning is much more like airline coach. The recline angle is somewhat greater than airline coach but still you are upright to the degree that you will have to curl up or lean against the window to sleep. It is not a natural sleeping position: at least not for me (and at 5'5", 130 pounds, no one has ever confused me with a linebacker). Sleeping in coach on Amtrak is a very back unfriendly situation, and you will have to sleep that way for two consecutive nights.

I would urge you to look into a roomette. With the right timing you can get a decent fare and the free meals help offset the fare differential. The benefit is a real bed which will keep your back issues under control and will let you enjoy the train ride pain free.

Back