Seat assignments (Acela pilot Feb 2018)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all the stops Amtrak makes, the Program/Project Managers with Amtrak must determine all the what if scenarios, what to allow, what to prohibit totally, and what requires an override. What is the decision making process the computer must run before displaying available seats/rooms. Also, are they going to show seats/rooms available to choose for an upgrade fee like the airlines. If Europe has a great system, why can't Amtrak obtain all or part of it to cut some of the problem solving time.

The problem with basing things on systems that work in foreign countries is that American rules, culture and acceptances/expectations are different. It is a viable starting point, but not a complete answer for anything.

Maybe Amtrak will show some seats unavailable like the airlines do except for special assignment or a couple weeks out. Amtrak might block some seats out except for end to end purchases, then release them closer to departure. The airlines do it without any issues.

Makes sense. The LOSSAN business plan mentioned the ability to pick and choose your seat in Business Class for the Pacific Surfliner for couple of years now. Not sure if LOSSAN forced Amtrak's hand or if Amtrak decided to implement and LOSSAN is following along.

Business class should certainly be able to offer this as it's only 1 car and not dependent on where your destination is. I agree it would keep people from lining up early, and if you are someone like me who is a regular rider and books early, I'd like to be able to just pick my seat and then show up just in time to board.

Makes sense. The LOSSAN business plan mentioned the ability to pick and choose your seat in Business Class for the Pacific Surfliner for couple of years now. Not sure if LOSSAN forced Amtrak's hand or if Amtrak decided to implement and LOSSAN is following along.

I wonder if the introduction of reserved assigned seats by Brightline hastened this move by Amtrak after all these years, or it is just a mere coincidence, with the triggering event being Anderson..
If you scroll back, you'll see that this has been in the works for quite some time. It has nothing to do with Brightline, it has nothing to do with Lossan. It is being slightly expedited and possibly expanded under the new CEO.

There are a lot of little things to analyze and it will take time. Who knows if it will even go the distance?

A NER with 300+ passengers getting on and off with only a Conductor and A/C seating issues would be difficult to handle if passengers don't cooperate. Perhaps BC only on that type of route? A 300 seat aircraft would have minimum 6 attendants (1 per 50 seats even if empty)

A NER with 300+ passengers getting on and off with only a Conductor and A/C seating issues would be difficult to handle if passengers don't cooperate. Perhaps BC only on that type of route? A 300 seat aircraft would have minimum 6 attendants (1 per 50 seats even if empty)
Fair use quote from RPA:

Amtrak also said that the seat assignments process is part of a larger rollout that will include adding seat assignments to First class on additional Acela Express trains, then later adding it to Business class on select Northeast Regional and long-distance trains.
It sounds like they're doing exactly that. Acela First, Business on select Regionals and Long Distance trains.

Acela Business and system-wide Coach is still left to their own seat-finding once aboard.

God I hope they eventually extend this to business class and coach on the Regionals. I'd love to be able to show up at the station 10 min before departure and not worry about getting a good seat. Now I show up 30 min early just so I be towards the front of the line smh.

Sounds like only NE Regionals for now - I take BC regularly but out of Chicago on the Michigan trains. And agree would be nice to show up 10 minutes earlier and just go to my seat!

I think there are two separable things that we tend to conflate together in our discussions and thus confuse ourselves:

1. Reserved assigned accommodation. This has existed before there was any online anything. Amtrak does have this in Sleeper and generally does not have it anywhere else.

2. Online selection of accommodation by customers. Some railroads have this in addition to assigned accommodations. Most that have assigned accommodation don’t provide this facility. Most allow reassignment or specific assignment request through a conversation with an agent, though some major ones don’t.

Amtrak is trying to do both at the same time which of course doubles the risk of hitting snags. We’ll see how it goes. Brightline has managed to do both together spectacularly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

The problem with basing things on systems that work in foreign countries is that American rules, culture and acceptances/expectations are different.
I thought what could be un-American about a system that lets you not select a seat, or select one for a very nominal charge. That is until

A NER with 300+ passengers getting on and off with only a Conductor and A/C seating issues would be difficult to handle if passengers don't cooperate.
reminded me that any red blooded American would think it an assault on his manhood not to try to beat the system.

I think there are two separable things that we tend to conflate together in our discussions and thus confuse ourselves:

1. Reserved assigned accommodation. This has existed before there was any online anything. Amtrak does have this in Sleeper and generally does not have it anywhere else.

2. Online selection of accommodation by customers. Some railroads have this in addition to assigned accommodations. Most that have assigned accommodation don’t provide this facility. Most allow reassignment or specific assignment request through a conversation with an agent, though some major ones don’t.

Amtrak is trying to do both at the same time which of course doubles the risk of hitting snags. We’ll see how it goes. Brightline has managed to do both together spectacularly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
Once phase III of the pilot is completed, perhaps Amtrak will pick one way...or the other. Additionally, at this point, Brightline currently functions much like an airline. If I am not mistaken, it currently operates between FTL and WPB. It's pretty easy to control thing when everyone boards at one stop and disembarks at the next stop. It is quite another thing to do this with a train that makes 40 stops over the course of 3 days.

That is why it was wise of them to back off their initial plan and test this on business class and Acela first class first...although that eliminates one of the problems coach passengers may have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I know there is no assigned seating in coach, but I'm a very huge opponent of assigned seating. A few years back my wife and I were traveling on the NER from Philadelphia to BWI. We showed up to 30th St. Station over an hour early and there were already over 100 people waiting to go down trackside. When we boarded the train we had to go all the way to the back of the last car to find two seats together. How hard would it be to assign seats so something like this does not happen to people traveling together. At one point, I thought we were going to have stand all the way back to BWI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I know there is no assigned seating in coach, but I'm a very huge opponent of assigned seating. A few years back my wife and I were traveling on the NER from Philadelphia to BWI. We showed up to 30th St. Station over an hour early and there were already over 100 people waiting to go down trackside. When we boarded the train we had to go all the way to the back of the last car to find two seats together. How hard would it be to assign seats so something like this does not happen to people traveling together. At one point, I thought we were going to have stand all the way back to BWI.
Did you mean proponent? It sounds like you're for assigned seating, not against.
default_smile.png

If they end up doing it for NER coach, what happens to people with 10-rides or monthlies?

Did you mean proponent? It sounds like you're for assigned seating, not against.
default_smile.png
Yes, I think that's what he meant.

Even with passenger selected seating, you may have that problem...particularly if you're one of the last to book your reservation. That is why this is not a slam dunk with coach,

Even with passenger selected seating, you may have that problem...particularly if you're one of the last to book your reservation. That is why this is not a slam dunk with coach.
You mean trying to get two seats together? Isn't that a problem on every assigned seating system if one books last minute?

If they end up doing it for NER coach, what happens to people with 10-rides or monthlies?
They get to ride in the Cafe Car if the train is sold out. They technically do not have first dibs on seats anyway.
I've never been asked to do that, although I'm always conscious that it's a possibility. If this happened it would definitely push me more towards buying tickets for specific trains, though. And I'd be delighted to only have people in the quiet car who meant to be there!

Back