Seat assignment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKA

OBS Chief
I will be on the Capital Limited next week with my family. Iam wondering if seat assignment is a common practice in the summertime? Friends went last week and said they were assigned seats upon boarding. Boarding in CLE to CHI. Return on the LSL sameday.A day trip to CHI just to get the grandkids on a train. Thanks in advance.

AKA said:
I will be on the Capital Limited next week with my family. Iam wondering if seat assignment is a common practice in the summertime? Friends went last week and said they were assigned seats upon boarding. Boarding in CLE to CHI. Return on the LSL sameday.A day trip to CHI just to get the grandkids on a train. Thanks in advance.
Almost any non-corridor train will assign you seats based on destination and number in your party on boarding. When the crew signs up at their originating terminal they draw up a plan on where destinations will sit as the trip progresses, consolidationg all the CHI passengers together in one (approximate) location so they can easily locate people when it comes time to detrain, and can avoid opening multiple doors if possible, especially in the middle of the night. Have a great trip!

I have taken that exact trip you mentioned many times. The only "seat assignment" that happens in Cleveland is you are told what car to sit in if memory serves correctly. I think the same thing happens most of the time in Chicago as well.

Enjoy your trip.

CAPLTD29, Boarding in CLE on 23 July 05 . I think that will put me one day ahead of you, as ( If on time) it will be Saturday morning at 2:21 AM 23 July for you ,should be 3:55 PM in DC. This puts you in CLE at 2:21 on the 24 th. However anything can happen on AMTRAK, and I would not have it anyother way. :D Just in case, we will be six , four adults and two preteen girls. As I mentioned my friends just took this trip about three weeks ago. CLE CHI LAX coach all the way. They were assigned seats in CLE and CHI.Thanks AKA

But the Pennsylvanian falls under corridor service IMHO. Like the Vermonter there are no TA's, it's pretty much a free for all, once your ticket has been lifted you're free to do as you wish.

Back