Seat assginments

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How are "reserved seats in coach" assigned? Can you choose, ahead of time?
You can't choose ahead of time and most of the time you choose after you board. Reserved simply means you will have seat.

Now, on very crowded trains they will sometimes assign seats as you board.

For the long-distance trains that I've traveled on, I always received a seat check and an assigned seat number upon boarding. I don't think I've ever been told to just get on-board.

Once the train is underway, it is sometimes possible to ask to switch to a different seat (but you should ask because the on-board staff often keep track of occupied seats).

In my experience, it's different for regional services (like the reserved San Joaquins and Surfliner or unreserved Capitol Corridor). In those cases, I've boarded and selected my seat before the conductor can take my ticket and give me a seat check. You can switch seats without checking with staff as long as you take your seat check with you.

For the long-distance trains that I've traveled on, I always received a seat check and an assigned seat number upon boarding. I don't think I've ever been told to just get on-board.
It all depends on the load, and the crew. I've had both on the same train - on different days.

Such as on the Crescent:

• Boarding at NYP - take any seat
  • Boarding at WAS - assigned seat at boarding the car
  • Boarding at CVS - take any seat

The Cascades:

• Boarding at PDX - assigned seat in station
  • Boarding at OLW - take any seat

It all depends on the load, and the crew. I've had both on the same train - on different days.

Such as on the Crescent:

• Boarding at NYP - take any seat
  • Boarding at WAS - assigned seat at boarding the car
  • Boarding at CVS - take any seat

The Cascades:

• Boarding at PDX - assigned seat in station
  • Boarding at OLW - take any seat
I'm not talking trains here, but I was often assigned to a seat in the principals office by my teachers! :rolleyes:

I may be off base but, it seems they like to assign seats where people are departing at the same destination. Makes perfect sense to me, as the crew wants to make it as easy & organized as possible to make sure passengers jump off at the correct location!

RF

I may be off base but, it seems they like to assign seats where people are departing at the same destination. Makes perfect sense to me, as the crew wants to make it as easy & organized as possible to make sure passengers jump off at the correct location!
While it's true that they like to put keep all passengers headed to a specific destination in the same car (Example - Richmond this car, Jacksonville next car), what I'm talking about is being told "Your seat is #65" or "Your seat is #12"!

While it's true that they like to put keep all passengers headed to a specific destination in the same car (Example - Richmond this car, Jacksonville next car), what I'm talking about is being told "Your seat is #65" or "Your seat is #12"!
Yeah, I understand.

I've only traveled coach a few times but, when they assigned me a seat #, most seats around me were filled with folks whose destinations were fairly close to mine. ( keeping in mind "close" being relative!!!)

RF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back