SCAs, the good and the bad

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
We just returned from a LD trip. We had a roomette all the way, so I would like to rate our SCAs.

CONO- Al GREAT

CL- Darryl POOR

SM- Patrick GREAT

SS- Jr. POOR

Crescent- Grady Great

We don't ask for much from our SCAs- ice, coffee, schedule updates, directions to other cars, and clean bathrooms.

By the way, I did turn in a complete report to Customer Relations. I hope that the Good SCAs receive a commendation and the bad a reprimand.

I think word filters down to the bad and a letter of commendation goes into the employee's personnel file for the good. I may be wrong on this, but that's what I have heard over the years.
Both good & bad reports make their way down the food chain to the employee's direct boss.

We don't ask for much from our SCAs- ice, coffee, schedule updates, directions to other cars, and clean bathrooms.
Not changing the room over, day/night? That's about all I ask, and on two trains I couldn't even get that from SCAs whooz main efforts seemed devoted to making themselves scarce (One guy - on the westbound California Zephyr - was seen virtually only at smoke stops when he was having a cigarette.).

Margo, One of the few great trips I've had on #30, I had a Darryl as an SCA. He was animated and knew the history of the route as well as seeing to the little things. Hope your Darryl was not the Darryl of a few years ago. Burn-out happens to them occasionally. I had Brenda once on #27 CHI to PDX. She worked off the extra board and was actually based in Florida! She was amazing, and even scrubbed our bedroom bathroom daily. (NEVER experienced that from any other SCA) Worse for us was Pat (female) on the Crescent. Only saw her upon boarding in WAS and never again until she wanted to strip our room half an hour before Sliddell. (that was a bit early for my liking) She is the only SCA I have not tipped. (others the tips do vary on thier level of service) I am not helpless and know how to put down beds, but there wasn't any ice in our car, water/juice ran out early in the run, not to be replaced. And the offer to help with bags (which I decline most of the time) never came.

I'm not sure if I've actually had more bad SCA's than good ones or if the bad ones just stand out more in my mind. The one thing I do know is that the bad SCA's aren't inclined to change their ways or to leave the job for other opportunities. Most of my worst experiences are still encountered on future visits acting every bit as rude and indifferent as the first time I ever met them. When I come to AmtrakUnlimited it has the unexpected affect of making me feel better about flying. Maybe I should start reading about Greyhound travel in order to feel better about riding Amtrak? ;)

We have had SCA's that were better than others, but never any that I would want to officially label as "bad".

I guess we don't use the SCA very much. I pull the upper down upon our arrival, for my kid to use it as a play area. Late at night, when I am finally ready to go to sleep, I convert the chairs into my bed, myself. I am sure that the SCA would do these, but I just prefer to do them all myself. I know where the train is currently located (I keep track), and I know when our station is coming up. We eat all our meals in the dining car. All I really rely on the SCA to do, is to keep the coffee, juice, water area clean and full.

I'm not sure if I've actually had more bad SCA's than good ones or if the bad ones just stand out more in my mind. The one thing I do know is that the bad SCA's aren't inclined to change their ways or to leave the job for other opportunities. Most of my worst experiences are still encountered on future visits acting every bit as rude and indifferent as the first time I ever met them. When I come to AmtrakUnlimited it has the unexpected affect of making me feel better about flying. Maybe I should start reading about Greyhound travel in order to feel better about riding Amtrak?
The Murder of Tim McLean

Of course, it could've happened on Amtrak just as easily...

I think this may be the same Darryl I had on a recent Crescent. Not "bad," just not very forthcoming. He would do anything asked, but volunteered nothing. Indeed, the only time I ever saw him was after dinner when we met in the hall and I requested he turn my room into sleeping mode (which he did in about 10 minutes).

On the other hand, as I was waiting to disembark in New Orleans, he and I ended up standing by one another and he was delightful to chat with.

I'm not sure if I've actually had more bad SCA's than good ones or if the bad ones just stand out more in my mind. The one thing I do know is that the bad SCA's aren't inclined to change their ways or to leave the job for other opportunities. Most of my worst experiences are still encountered on future visits acting every bit as rude and indifferent as the first time I ever met them. When I come to AmtrakUnlimited it has the unexpected affect of making me feel better about flying. Maybe I should start reading about Greyhound travel in order to feel better about riding Amtrak?
The Murder of Tim McLean

Of course, it could've happened on Amtrak just as easily...
I could have gone a couple more days without reading the Wikipedia article on Tim McLean. And will never fall asleep in the back of a bus or train.

OP: I'm very glad you gave a report to customer relations. They can't address issues if they're unaware of them.

Most of our SCAs have been good ones, as well as the dining car staff. We've had one dining attendant who wasn't up to par.

The Greyhound incident was awful. Fortunately it's rare, but there are definitely crazies out there. I'm not paranoid, but I do try to be security-conscious.

The head lady on the Empire Builder once made a general announcement that she was NOT going to clean the toilets and she had placed big cups in the lavs for us to add more water to wash anything left. If we wanted clean bathrooms it was up to us. That might have been a little over the top.

The head lady on the Empire Builder once made a general announcement that she was NOT going to clean the toilets and she had placed big cups in the lavs for us to add more water to wash anything left. If we wanted clean bathrooms it was up to us. That might have been a little over the top.
'Ya think? That's when I love to have the Amtrak Standards Manual on my laptop or ipad.........

Kind of, but not really - I don't blame her.

I'd b!#c& my husband or any family member out if they left 1/100 of the messes I've seen.

I'm disgusted by the big wads of *stuff* left in the bowls.

Get a clue... take some toilet paper and line the bowl a little (not a lot) before you take a dump.

No one wants to see your leftover, ahem, *stuff*.

There is no one to clean up after you each time and you certainly can't expect the SCA to be your own personal pooper scooper, take care of your own mess!

Same goes for missing the bowl when you pee - the rude, disgusting messes are just as bad in the sleepers as in coach in my experience.

I always appreciate the SCA who leaves a toilet mop and some foam next to the bowl so at least you can give the thing a quick swirl if it needs it :)

A couple of years ago on the Coast Starlight I had an SCA named Sandy. She cleaned the bathrooms once an hour. I kid you not, once an hour. They were immaculate.

A couple of years ago on the Coast Starlight I had an SCA named Sandy. She cleaned the bathrooms once an hour. I kid you not, once an hour. They were immaculate.
It is obvious the "head lady on the EB" was NOT doing her job and had the intestinal fortitude to go on the PA system and annouce the fact. Then you have Sandy on the CS who was doing what is required of her as per the Amtrak Service Standards Manual (see below). Kudos to her. But on-board service employees are not held to any consistant level of accountability. Their "supervisors", the Concuctors, change shifts every few hours, and have their "plates full" handling train operations and tickets.

Every pax on board that sleeper should have phoned or written Amtrak about that announcement from that SCA.

Amtrak Service Standards Manual Apr. 30. 2011

Restrooms – Routine Cleaning

Restrooms are to be checked every hour during

the course of the trip and checked every 30 minutes

during the morning peak time between 6 am and

10 am. Clean as required.

• Keep the public restrooms clean and dry.

• Wipe mirrors, sinks and counters.

• Wipe and disinfect toilet bowl, toilet seat,

under toilet lid.

• Replenish soap and paper products as necessary.

• Pick up trash.

• Dust floor with Swiffer Dry.

I did a price check just now, on tomorrows Coast Starlight, the cost with a bedroom is $1155.00. Roomettes were sold out. The fare was $221.00 and the bedroom was the balance. My thinking is, yes, I maintain common courtesy and clean up after myself. But, for 1155 bucks, I ain't cleaning toilets! Its not my job. Someone above mentioned all sorts of techniques, one should follow to tidy up. I might mention that the toilets on Amtrak are vacuum flush commodes and there are no clumps of stuff left inside. Indeed, one could loose a leg if not careful there is so much flushing. I would not expect a attendant to be a pooper scooper, I wood expect her to provide normal cleanup, like Sandy. For one to make an announcement "I am not cleaning toilets," is over the top. Next thing is we will be told to pack a magic wand and tidy bowl.

Lisa (usually on the SSL/TE) is AWESOME. I've had her for 2 trips from L.A. to Tucson, once from Tucson to L.A. and once from L.A. all the way to New Orleans! She is so cool, she organizes trivia games, keeps her car VERY clean, and also runs a tight ship! She really makes it feel like a community and is ALWAYS there if anyone needs anything! I hope I get her on my next trip *fingers crossed*

Lisa (usually on the SSL/TE) is AWESOME. I've had her for 2 trips from L.A. to Tucson, once from Tucson to L.A. and once from L.A. all the way to New Orleans! She is so cool, she organizes trivia games, keeps her car VERY clean, and also runs a tight ship! She really makes it feel like a community and is ALWAYS there if anyone needs anything! I hope I get her on my next trip *fingers crossed*
Over the course of many rides I've found Lisa's cars aren't all that clean during the day and don't seem to receive any cleaning at all during the night. If you happen to board before she's decided it's time to prep your room she'll won't let you wait for a few minutes to enter. Rather, she'll instruct you to sit in the diner to wait until she's ready for you, never mind if you're actually hungry for AmChow. Lisa seems to spend much of her time in the diner so maybe that's why she assumes everyone else loves it in there as much as she does. Lisa will cheerfully agree to go get you ice, over and over again, that never actually shows up. If you keep asking she might eventually pass the request off to a coach attendant on the fourth or fifth reminder but I've never seen her get up and do it herself. Depending on Lisa's arbitrary moods she might look at you weird if you want your bed made before or after she was originally planning to do it. If you ask her for something she wasn't planning to do at all she'll inform you that it's far more work than you could possibly realize. It doesn't matter if you've seen other SCA's do it (like get some more towels) or you've done it yourself (like grab juice from another car). Should you happen to ask her for help finding something that's gone missing you can forget it. All she'll do is watch you look for it. I cannot possibly imagine this frail and lazy lady performing her necessary duties in the midst of a wreck or other catastrophe. Maybe she’ll start a happily little trivia game while other customers help drag you from the wreckage. Thanks, but no thanks. In my experience Lisa's attitude encapsulates everything that's wrong with today's Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might mention that the toilets on Amtrak are vacuum flush commodes and there are no clumps of stuff left inside. Indeed, one could loose a leg if not careful there is so much flushing. I would not expect a attendant to be a pooper scooper, I wood expect her to provide normal cleanup, like Sandy. For one to make an announcement "I am not cleaning toilets," is over the top.
I am not aware of vacuum flush toilets on Amtrak. Perhaps in sleeper cars they are, but the coach toilets on Amfleets are recirculating blue water commodes by Monogram (now part of the Zodiak family).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back