Scanning tickets at NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is relevant, but don't they sometimes make "ticket sweeps" on long-distance trains enroute, to try to 'catch' those who might have been missed along the way?

I vaguely recall them doing it on the westbound CZ in the morning somewhere between Fort Morgan and arrival in Denver, and also on the eastbound, somewhere around Galesburg....

I also think that historically it has been done at NYP.

Also at NYP, there are many trains on the adjacent track that may be going to the same place or similar direction!. For example, Amtrak may be going south to Newark and Washington on track 11, while NJT may be going south to Newark on track 12 - right across the same platform.

BTW - The only Amtrak train thru NYP that they do not recheck tickets (thankfully) is 66/67. Thankfully since departure from NYP is about 3 am! And this is true in both coach and BC.
You got lucky on 66/67. Same procedure happens on those too.

The Vermonter has a quite interesting seat check routine going north of Springfield. The new crew comes through and verbally confirms everyone's destination, writing the three letter code on an NEC seat check with the destination punched. They don't rescan tickets. Crews on the NEC also don't know what to do for the stops that aren't on the pre-printed special Vermonter only punch seat checks that haven't been updated in many years with new stops, I think they still have Northampton on them!
They still have Montreal on them as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back