Scanners, Radio and other such tech inquiries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look on Amazon. There are many inexpensive Asian knockoffs of transcievers, BAOFENG is one brand that comes to mind. I have one. If you are worried, just use tthe menu and disable the transmit function. Et Voila'! You now have a scanner!
However, the cheapest Baofeng transceiver scans 3 frequencies per second, whereas the BC125 scans all of the AAR frequencies (close to 200) in 1 second!

However, the cheapest Baofeng transceiver scans 3 frequencies per second, whereas the BC125 scans all of the AAR frequencies (close to 200) in 1 second!
Yes. My Yaesu VX 5 scanned a lot faster, but was wayy more expensive. I am a licensed Radio Operator (HAM - W5VD) and use my Yaesu to talk on 2Meter and other repeaters. I usually use the Baofeng or the Wouxon for railroad monitoring.
Also, no matter the speed of the channel scan, it can false, especially in populated areas. I don't want to hear taxis, concrete mixers and gypsy users, so I just keep the list handy and switch accordingly. It's really not that complicated.
AAR channels are in my radio labeled 11-197 (AAR Chans 1-97). So it's pretty easy to select any channel. If the Engineer says "Lets go 96". I enter 196 and I am on the channel. Sometimes they want to go off on a side channel for a quick "private" conversation. Real easy to jump to that.
Sometimes I will use the computer interface and set up a scan group for a particular route, but usually I just use the list. Since the radio has an A and a B channel, I'll put the next channel on the other side (B or A), so I can easily switch back and forth if I am not sure whether we have passed the border. It's also handy when there is a road channel and an AMTRAK or station channel, like St. Louis.
My hearing aids are Bluetooth equipped, so I put a Bluetooth adapter on the radio. Kinda neat.

Yes. My Yaesu VX 5 scanned a lot faster, but was wayy more expensive. I am a licensed Radio Operator (HAM - W5VD) and use my Yaesu to talk on 2Meter and other repeaters. I usually use the Baofeng or the Wouxon for railroad monitoring.
Also, no matter the speed of the channel scan, it can false, especially in populated areas. I don't want to hear taxis, concrete mixers and gypsy users, so I just keep the list handy and switch accordingly. It's really not that complicated.
AAR channels are in my radio labeled 11-197 (AAR Chans 1-97). So it's pretty easy to select any channel. If the Engineer says "Lets go 96". I enter 196 and I am on the channel. Sometimes they want to go off on a side channel for a quick "private" conversation. Real easy to jump to that.
Sometimes I will use the computer interface and set up a scan group for a particular route, but usually I just use the list. Since the radio has an A and a B channel, I'll put the next channel on the other side (B or A), so I can easily switch back and forth if I am not sure whether we have passed the border. It's also handy when there is a road channel and an AMTRAK or station channel, like St. Louis.
My hearing aids are Bluetooth equipped, so I put a Bluetooth adapter on the radio. Kinda neat.
Hey @drdumont , NW6A here!

Last edited:
I really appreciated ALL of the information shared here. I ended up not getting a scanner ... however, it would've been helpful several times.
- Train forced to stop as we were almost hit at a crossing. The engineers got out an inspected the train and then we moved on.
- 1.5 hr wait in Tucson to get into the station
- Numerous stops ... typically to allow a freighter to pass

This is what I ended up doing ... Phone Apps Used:
- Google Maps app (iPhone) ... awesome for tracking exactly where you are
- Speedometer GPS app (iPhone) ... awesome for tracking where you are and speed
- Amtrak web site on Chrome browser app (iPhone) ... good for tracking where you are at and expectation of time for future stops
- Locator app (iPhone) ... for railroad specific crossing and track information
I've found Speedometer very useful on my (now ancient) iPhone 6s, but it really drains the battery fast, so either close it when you aren't actively using it, or keep your phone plugged into its charger.

BTW, for a few bucks and about an ounce of extra weight, you can get a rechargeable battery (USB in and out) just about anywhere which will triple or quadruple your phone's (or other equipment's) battery life. The worst problem is getting tangled up by yet another cable.

(By "just about anywhere", in addition to the usual electronics stores, CVS carries them, and I bought one once in the gift shop at the La Brea Tar Pits, so literally "just about anywhere.")

I've found Speedometer very useful on my (now ancient) iPhone 6s, but it really drains the battery fast, so either close it when you aren't actively using it, or keep your phone plugged into its charger.

BTW, for a few bucks and about an ounce of extra weight, you can get a rechargeable battery (USB in and out) just about anywhere which will triple or quadruple your phone's (or other equipment's) battery life. The worst problem is getting tangled up by yet another cable.

(By "just about anywhere", in addition to the usual electronics stores, CVS carries them, and I bought one once in the gift shop at the La Brea Tar Pits, so literally "just about anywhere.")
"Speedometer ... drains the batter" ... I wouldn't know ... I kept it plugged into power all the time :)

I kept it open and on that screen the entire time sitting on the little seat back table in front of me. A couple of times people walked by and asked about it ... or, said, "I've got the same app, it's great!" :)

I liked it for displaying the speed and the current town that we were in. The direction was also nice, but with all the curves the direction doesn't really matter that much ... considering we are on tracks we already know the general direction. :) Not like they are a cab driver trying to take the long route.

Hey @drdumont , NW6A here!
FB, OM... I just saw a YouTube article on a Software Defined Radio USB dongle for $50 or so. Think I will get one and see how that works. All our Microwave gear at Univision was SDRs. Pain in the caboose to set up, but were flexible as all getout.

My wife and I are taking an Amtrak summer vacation from Indianapolis to Chicago to California via the CZ with a return via SWC. While in California we'll be on the San Joaquins and the Pacific Surfliner. We're pretty excited as neither of us has really been across the heart of the country by land before this trip. And, we're taking one of our grandchildren along.

I have no experience with scanners or receivers generally, but I can learn. It sounds quite fun to be able to listen to communication between train professionals on the trip.

Do any of you have current recommendations for a scanner that we might use on the trip? Any brands or models I should avoid? And, how important is an antenna? Something under $150 is the budget. Thanks.

Do any of you have current recommendations for a scanner that we might use on the trip? Any brands or models I should avoid? And, how important is an antenna? Something under $150 is the budget. Thanks.
Just going by posts on this page, it looks like you can do it with a Baofeng handheld; I've got two and they were <$40 each.

My wife and I are taking an Amtrak summer vacation from Indianapolis to Chicago to California via the CZ with a return via SWC. While in California we'll be on the San Joaquins and the Pacific Surfliner. We're pretty excited as neither of us has really been across the heart of the country by land before this trip. And, we're taking one of our grandchildren along.

I have no experience with scanners or receivers generally, but I can learn. It sounds quite fun to be able to listen to communication between train professionals on the trip.

The rubber ducky antenna that comes with it will be fine to pick up crew communications from the train. Picking up the dispatcher can be iffy, but the crew will repeat back any orders, so you can get it on that end.

Get the radio frequencies from On Track Online:
https://on-track-on-line.com/amtrak-freqs.shtml.

Note that it is crowd sourced, so when railroads shift road channels, which they do fairly regularly, it may take awhile for someone to catch a change and report it.

I strongly suggest programming all 96 AAR frequencies in your scanner by AAR channel number. That way when you hear the crew say "rolling to 66" you just punch up 66, rather than worrying where you programmed 161.100. If you lose the road channel, it is also helpful in finding it by just scanning all 96 channels. Note that station stops are useful for finding lost/unknown road channels because the crew will always radio when about to leave the station ("Highball Eugene","Highball").

I listen to road channels and station services when they're on a separate frequency. I am not interested in yard, MOW, etc channels.

The onboard service crew does not have radios, so what you will hear will be conversations between the engineer and conductors, the engineer and the dispatcher (the engineer's radio is more powerful than the conductors handset), roll bys with passing trains ("looking good on the north side, Amtrak") and detectors.

When in public areas of the train always use earphones. That is Amtrak policy and scanners can be particularly annoying to others, producing squawks and screeches and staticky conversations.

I am using a 15 year old Radio Shack scanner that works fine, so do not have any recommendations on current models.

The Uniden BC125AT is a well regarded scanner for railroad and aviation comms. It runs around $125 or less (shop around). I don't use this particular scanner; I use the higher end BC325P2.
As for antenna, the stock "rubber duck" antenna will be satisfactory while you are on the train. There are "better" antennas out there and discussions go on endlessly!
You should have spare AA NiMH rechargeables and a good charger (that charges cells individually vs in pairs) as well.
As for frequencies, check On Track On LIne: https://www.on-track-on-line.com/amtrak-freqs.shtml
If you really want to get overloaded on information check Radio Reference: https://forums.radioreference.com/forums/railroad-railfan-monitoring-forum.88/
I say overloaded because they tend to be quick to recommend more than what you actually may need. That is not bad info, just probably more than you need.
When listening to RR comms, it is NOT constant chatter, even between the dispatcher and the engineer and the engineer and conductor. In fact, you could go many minutes or longer not hearing anything.
Good luck. Once you get set up it can be pretty nice hearing what is going on with and around your train.
John

Do any of you have current recommendations for a scanner that we might use on the trip? [...] Something under $150 is the budget.
This is what I have used in the past...

Purchase: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00772MR0K

Manual: https://www.uniden.info/download/ompdf/BC125ATom.pdf

Review the manual before buying a scanner on a lark. You will want to be familiar with the operation and the route frequencies to get much use out of it. This model should work without issue unless/until US railroads switch to digital. In regular service the vast majority of radio communications are automated detectors reporting no defects. The scanner was available new and within the budget when posted.

And, how important is an antenna?
If all you want is rail transmissions with as much distance and clarity as possible then a proper frequency-optimized antenna might be a good buy, but it makes little difference for casual users and it could also make a portable scanner more difficult to pack and carry around on trips. Around kids I'd suggest sticking with the coiled and rubberized stock antenna to avoid accidental eye-pokes and such.

Another vote for the Uniden BC125AT. A big advantage of a dedicated scanner as opposed to an all-purpose handheld is speed. The BC125 can scan hundreds of channels in a couple of seconds. I don't bother to reprogram mine for trips; I just have all of the railroad frequencies programmed and let it scan through them all.

OTOH, I understand that the Baofengs scan at the rate of around 3 channels per second. It would take around 30 seconds to scan thru 100 channels. If you were scanning all railroad frequencies without tailoring them to specific lines and areas, you would miss all or the first part of many transmissions..

The BC125 has a subset of railroad frequencies permanently programmed into the firmware, which you can scan without needing to enter them yourself (Service Search Mode). If you want to program in all of the railroad frequencies, or just those specific to a route, and you have a Windows laptop or computer, there are 3rd party software packages that make it easy to enter them using a usb connection (a usb cable is included with the BC125.) I use a freeware package called Scan125, which includes a converter program that allowed me to copy a list of frequencies into an Excel spreadsheet and load them into the scanner.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Uniden BC125AT. A big advantage of a dedicated scanner as opposed to an all-purpose handheld is speed. The BC125 can scan hundreds of channels in a couple of seconds. I don't bother to reprogram mine for trips; I just have all of the railroad frequencies programmed and let it scan through them all.
My old Radio Shack scanner is reasonably fast, but even if it were close to instantaneous, I wouldn't routinely scan all 96 AAR frequencies. I don't want to pick up yard channels, MOW channels or other railroads, particularly in busy areas where are multiple railroads and lots of activity. Personally, I am only interested in things pertaining to the train I'm riding, I don't want anything else. So I usually keep it locked (not scanning) on the current road channel, or scan road channel and station services channel (if there is one) or the current road channel and the next one if getting close to a channel change. The only time I scan every channel is when I feel like I've lost the road channel, usually in cases where the OTOL information is outdated, which does happen.

But I wouldn't want a scanner that only scans like 3 channels per second, either.

We use a little Uniden SC230 racing scanner that we bought on eBay for only a few dollars. Here are a few features to look for when shopping for a radio that will scan railroad frequencies:

The capacity to receive frequencies of from 160.215 to 161.565 MHz. (This is where most railroads operate their main voice communications networks.)

The optional capacity to receive the 450 to 470 MHz UHF band. (AMTRAK’s On-Board Service personnel sometimes use these frequencies to facilitate family and group activities.)

A sufficient number of programmable channels for storing all of the frequencies you plan to listen to. (Believe it or not, 20 channels will usually be sufficient!)

The capacity to lock out certain channels so that they won’t be scanned.

A “close call” feature that allows searching for nearby active frequencies.

A “hold” feature that stops the radio from scanning and pauses it on a particular frequency.

An external earphone jack. (Wearing earphones is a “must” if you plan use your scanner in an open coach or other public spaces.)

Some might also want to add battery-charging capabilities to this list. I use disposable batteries, but make it a point to pack along my scanner’s AC adapter. Most AMTRAK passenger cars now offer conveniently-located AC power outlets for those passengers who want to use their laptop computers and other electronic devices at their seats. Taking advantage of this amenity can greatly prolong battery life.

When operating your scanner, it is not necessary or even desirable to scan through all 96 AAR frequencies since many of them will be inactive in the area you are traveling through. (A scanner’s “close call” search feature can be useful for finding nearby active frequencies.) We just program in the frequencies that our trains will be using. These can be found at the AMTRAK Radio Frequencies page of the On Track On Line website: http://www.on-track-on-line.com/amtrak-freqs.shtml. There, you will find most of the frequencies used by various AMTRAK trains such as the “Southwest Chief,” the “Capitol Limited,” and the “Texas Eagle.” These frequencies should be reasonably current since they are updated on a regular basis using information provided by rail fans.

As your train transits through various geographical areas, the road frequencies can and will change. For example, if you refer to the On Track On Line list of radio frequencies used by the “Pacific Surfliner” during its relatively short passage from San Diego to Los Angeles, you will see that it changes frequencies five times. Knowing where these changes occur will allow you to adjust your scanner accordingly so as not to missing anything.

As has been pointed out, the little “rubber ducky” antennas that come with most scanners should work for you even though they are not optimized for railroad frequencies. If, at some future date, you decide that you want to upgrade your antenna, the preferred antenna for monitoring railroad radio communications is an adjustable whip that can be “tuned” to a specific frequency by altering its length. (I compromise by using a 12-inch all-band antenna.) The output power of the portable radios used by the train crews is in the range of from 5 to 10 watts, providing coverage of no more than a mile or so. Since most onboard communications are only intended for other nearby radios, my all-band antenna is more than adequate for receiving them.

By all means, have a scanner along with you on your trip. (We never leave home without ours.)

Last edited:
If you go with the Bearcat scanner you can check out this video for programming etc. He also has some really good Amtrak videos from 3 or 4 years ago.

I just want to comment on the batteries. The creator said he doesn't want to bother with charging batteries. The BC125-AT has a built in charger, so charging is no hassle at all. I believe it charges whenever the battery type switch is on NiMH, and the unit is plugged in and powered off. I don't think it's a smart charger, though, so it's good to take some care not to overcharge the batteries and shorten their life.

Okay, at the risk of sounding like a tech dinosaur: what about GPS? Huge stretches of Amtrak's long-distance routes have no wifi and no cell signal. In theory, our smartphones can get the info from satellites instead. Do they? Do we have to preload maps? Or is a separate GPS called for? Who among us hasn't awakened in a roomette at 2 a.m. on the lonesome plains and wondered "what's that little hamlet?" If I were queen, every little town along every Amtrak route would have its name painted in high-contrast letters 10 feet tall but I'm not queen. Yet.

I find my Samsung Galaxy phone's GPS works just fine. Any problems I had with it was with Google Maps presenting the GPS data.

Even with downloaded maps, Google Maps seemed to have a nervous breakdown when it could not connect to the internet. The phone's GPS function itself does not use the internet. My solution is to use a map app that does not use the internet, but uses only downloaded maps, instead of Google Maps, when on train trips. I use maps.me.

I also use an app that directly exposes GPS data, GPS Status. I can use it to force a GPS lock when maps.me occasionally says it is having trouble with GPS. It'll also tell you speed, altitude, acceleration.

The BC125-AT has a built in charger, so charging is no hassle at all. I believe it charges whenever the battery type switch is on NiMH, and the unit is plugged in and powered off.
The battery charge option was removed in a subsequent hardware revision, probably due to a regulation involving overcharged batteries and Uniden did not want to include a smart charge circuit in an older and simpler unit. If you buy used it might still be there but new units stopped including it many years ago. Although my unit still has one I always use a purpose built charger for better speed and reliability.

In theory, our smartphones can get the info from satellites instead. Do they?
Yes.

Do we have to preload maps?
Yes. Both Google Maps and Apple Maps have a function for this.

Or is a separate GPS called for?
Only if your device is missing a GPS chip, such as a WiFi only iPad.

Okay, at the risk of sounding like a tech dinosaur: what about GPS? Huge stretches of Amtrak's long-distance routes have no wifi and no cell signal. In theory, our smartphones can get the info from satellites instead. Do they? Do we have to preload maps? Or is a separate GPS called for? Who among us hasn't awakened in a roomette at 2 a.m. on the lonesome plains and wondered "what's that little hamlet?" If I were queen, every little town along every Amtrak route would have its name painted in high-contrast letters 10 feet tall but I'm not queen. Yet.
Good points raised here. We don’t have a smart phone, but we do travel with a GPS device. We use a Garmin nuvi 2797 GPS device intended for use in a car or truck. We’ve rigged up a stand for it to sit in so it can be set up on a fold down tray table or the little foldout table in a sleeping car bedroom. We like it because it has a large, easy to read screen and can run off AC power using a power adapter. We have ours set up to display the time. (When we enter a new time zone, it automatically adjusts to the new time.) And yes, it is VERY handy when we get up at O-dark-thirty and are wondering where we are. The only times we've lost the satellite signal was while we were in the Raton Pass tunnel or inside Chicago Union Station, by the platforms.

Last edited:
My old Radio Shack scanner (which almost certainly is a Uniden with a "Radio Shack" label slapped on) uses a separate battery holder for rechargeable versus standard batteries.

I mostly use rechargeables and also pretty much keep it plugged in on trips when I have a plug available, such as when I am in my roomette. So I am very much at risk for overcharging. But in like 15 years of service, I have only had to replace the rechargeables once or at most twice.

Also, since the battery holders are different colors, the rechargeable one is bright yellow, the standard, black, it is very easy to make sure the right batteries are installed in the right holder. It doesn't have a switch, which holder is installed in the scanner controls charging versus not charging. It is darn near foolproof and I don't have to worry about which type of batteries are installed and a switch is in the correct position before plugging it in.

It is a very good system and, despite doubtlessly overcharging my rechargeables almost routinely (assuming it doesn't have the control software, which is almost a certainty), I haven't reduced the life of the rechargeables to the point it seemed like a problem. For casual users, Uniden's decision to no longer offer in-unit recharging feels like overkill.

Last edited:
That's the benefit of researching the freqs used on a given route and scanning just those freqs during that trip. So when you wake up in the middle of nowhere, a scan will find the active channel.
Google maps uses the GPS for location, but needs the WIFi data for displaying the maps. I can't speak for any Apple products. I can say, however, that Verizon appears to have more dependable coverage. I have a phone on Verizon and a tablet on AT&T. Verizon for the win!
I have the last version of Street Atlas on my laptop, and a USB GPS receiver. Hasn't let me down yet.

My old Radio Shack scanner (which almost certainly is a Unden with a "Radio Shack" label slapped on) uses a separate battery holder for rechargeable versus standard batteries.

I mostly use rechargeables and also pretty much keep it plugged in on trips when I have a plug available, such as when I am in my roomette. So I am very much at risk for overcharging. But in like 15 years of service, I have only had to replace the rechargeables once or at most twice.

Also, since the battery holders are different colors, the rechargeable one is bright yellow, the standard, black, it is very easy to make sure the right batteries are installed in the right holder. It doesn't have a switch, which holder is installed in the scanner controls charging versus not charging. It is darn near foolproof and I don't have to worry about which type of batteries are installed and a switch is in the correct position before plugging it in.

It is a very good system and, despite doubtlessly overcharging my rechargeables almost routinely (assuming it doesn't have the control software, which is almost a certainty), I haven't reduced the life of the rechargeables to the point it seemed like a problem. For casual users, Uniden's decision to no longer offer in-unit recharging feels like overkill.
The BC125AT, which is being discussed here, will recharge batteries in the scanner (via USB); my BCD325P2 does as well. My older BCD396XT does as well but NOT via USB. You have to use the supplied AC transformer. Not sure about the 125 but, my 325 only charges when the scanner is off. If the scanner is on, scanner power is supplied by USB and the batteries are not receiving a charge current.
While a general consensus is to not recharge in the scanner, I have no qualms doing so as a matter of convience from time-to-time. Most of the time, I do use a "smart charger" which charges cells individually which is the preferred method. I use Panasonic's BQ-CC55 for this.
Let me add, the USB capable scanners may be powered by common "power banks" like those from Anker.

Last edited:
Back