Santa's Amtrak Sleigh and his elves

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from our "every other Christmas in Nawlins" Amtrak trip.

Took the Heartland Flyer from OKC to FTW, Texas Eagle to SAS and Sunset Limited w/a roomette from SAS to NOL. The trains were full according to the TA, but still very efficient and relatively clean in coach. Our sleeper car attendant from SAS to NOL (Matt) was on top of things and very helpful and friendly...as a result I tipped appropriately. On the way back from NOL to SAS the same could NOT be said for our sleeper car attendant Patty as my daughter did the nighttime roomette conversion. The resulting tip to Patty in SAS was also "appropriate". Met wonderful folks on the train during meals in the dining car and my daughter and I had some fascinating conversations as a result. One piece of advice on the Sunset Limited dining car from SAS to NOL...DO NOT order the half chicken!!! God-awful! The steak on the way back actually was pretty tender and fairly flavorful..not a bad choice. Not Ruth's Crist...but passable. I just wish somehow...some way..Amtrak could figure out how to eliminate the 5 hour layover in SAS going from the Limited to the Eagle northbound and the, almost, four hour layover in FTW going from the Eagle to the Flyer northbound.

That said...WONDERFUL trip, great way to travel. Another two years and we'll probably do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back