Santa Fe to Chama?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gord

Planning a trip to ride the Cumbres and Toltec out of Chama. I know the SWC goes to Lamy and there is a connecting bus to Santa Fe. Is there any bus service from Santa Fe to Chama or another way to get there without a car?

Thanks,

Gord

Planning a trip to ride the Cumbres and Toltec out of Chama. I know the SWC goes to Lamy and there is a connecting bus to Santa Fe. Is there any bus service from Santa Fe to Chama or another way to get there without a car?

Thanks,

Gord
It looks like there is transit (with a transfer) offered by the NCRTD: http://www.ncrtd.org/default.aspx

I'd call them with how to do it; I couldn't figure it out right away from their website.

I'm very surprised! I've been to Chama, and (nothing personal) it's a nothing town.
Yep, but it's a principle station on one of the greatest, narrow-gauge steam railroads in the world and a major tourist attraction.

This is the Cumbres & Toltec, formerly part of the Denver & Rio Grande Western narrow gauge network.

Gord.

Thanks,

Gord
It looks like there is transit (with a transfer) offered by the NCRTD: http://www.ncrtd.org/default.aspx

I'd call them with how to do it; I couldn't figure it out right away from their website.
Many thanks, I'll check it out

Gord

According to the site, you'd have to take a bus from Santa Fe to Espanola, then from there to Chama. The schedules are quite confusing, though. Best part about it, looks like free transit!

The route to Chama only runs Tues/Wed/Thurs, be forewarned.

Wow, I'm surprised there's any kind of public transportation to Chama. It a real middle of nowhere place. Of course you'd have to stay two nights in Chama since the bus arrives long after the train's departure and leaves before the train's arrival. On the other hand, the trip is free!

Out of sheer frustration with the car rental people in Santa Fe, I took a taxi both ways, because I couldn't marry my pre booked trip

in with the bus service. $340 Australian return, and I don't regret a cent of it. It is a great train trip. Hitching can be daunting as

sometimes the traffic is light, and it's a long walk.

A visit to the High Country Inn in Chama is recommended as well. Good meals and company, and good music, especially if Gary

Gorence/The Jakes are playing. One of the best American pubs I visited in 2011.

Hi,

I am looking to take a ride on the Cumbres and Toltec steam railroad on my next trip this sept/oct 2014. Does anyone have any idea whether the ride from Cumbres to Antonito direction is better, or the reverse? I am guessing that Cumbres, small though it is, would be a more interesting place to stay for a night than Antonito? It looks like hire car territory, as far as I can tell...

Ed :cool:

Best ride is most definitely FROM Chama on the train, as you will climb a 4% grade with at least two engines blasting. That said, there are many trip options available. This year, I drove from northern Colorado to Antonito, took their bus at 8:30 AM to Chama, and rode the train all the way to Antonito.

A previous year, I drove from western Colorado to Chama, then rode the train from Chama to the halfway point (the scheduled lunch stop at Osier), then rode the other train back to Chama.

A third option is to ride the train from Chama to Antonito, then take their bus back to Chama.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Not arguing that the climb up Cumbres Pass is worth watching, but my Dad and I did it the opposite way (morning bus to Antonito; train return from Antonito to Chama) in 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed every mile of the trip. We booked the parlor car, and from Antonito to Osier (lunch stop) we were the only passengers in that car (another couple doing the Chama-Osier-Chama route joined us in Osier) and the service was wonderful.

I would like to take the train ride again the other way, but the point I'd like to make is that you can't make a wrong decision if you take this trip. The only way you can make a mistake is if you decide not to go!

We took the train from Antonito to Chama in May and enjoyed the trip immensely. Actually thought it was a better ride than Durango. The lunch in Osier is very good and provides a nice break off the train before continuing on to the other end. The bus ride return from Chama to Antonito was relatively fast and comfortable in a very nice bus. We stayed in Alamosa that evening. Nice hotels, good food and more excursion railroads there to ride if you wish.

Cheers everyone for the info.

Bill, I read your most excellent trip report... a real step by step pathfinder guide! (Unfortunatly, I am more in the motel 8 price bracket than the hotels you recommend!)

Funny thing, Last week I picked up a mile by mile guide "Ticket to Toltec" in my local second hand bookshop. It has a leaflet inside advertising the Antonito to Chama ride for $52... current price is $95. At least I won't have to buy the guide book again!

Can't wait!

If you are in a Motel 8 kind of bracket, I recommend the Narrow Gauge Motel in Antonito. It's right across from the train station and it's a nice place to stay with a very friendly and helpful staff. You can take the train from there to Chama and a bus back or take the bus to Chama and the train back. Either way, the trip is spectacular and the lunch in Osier is nice. To get there, I would just rent a car. I usually fly into Albuquerque and drive from there, but you can do the same from Santa Fe. If you drive you can also drive over to Chama and putter around the yards there. They are very laid back and friendly.

Sounds a good plan, I am looking on this visit stateside as a mix of travel and holiday, so I will treat myself a little at times. Also the old bones are starting to complain about roughing it too much!

Also, on Wednesday only through Sept 3, you can take a mixed train from Alamosa to Antonito in the morning, which connects with the Cumbres train from Antonito to Osier. Take the return train from Osier to Antonito will then connect with the northbound version of the mixed train back to Alamosa. When I did this several years ago, there were 3 passenger cars on the mixed train (including a full length dome), and ZERO onboard crew on the return trip. I, and the one other passenger aboard, knew when it was safe to disembark upon arrival back at Alamosa when the engineer gave one long toot on the horn -- which is the standard signal to indicate that brakes are set and the train has come to a complete stop.

Also, on Wednesday only through Sept 3, you can take a mixed train from Alamosa to Antonito in the morning, which connects with the Cumbres train from Antonito to Osier. Take the return train from Osier to Antonito will then connect with the northbound version of the mixed train back to Alamosa. When I did this several years ago, there were 3 passenger cars on the mixed train (including a full length dome), and ZERO onboard crew on the return trip. I, and the one other passenger aboard, knew when it was safe to disembark upon arrival back at Alamosa when the engineer gave one long toot on the horn -- which is the standard signal to indicate that brakes are set and the train has come to a complete stop.
When we arrived in Antonito in 2010 the connecting train to Alamosa was one locomotive and one full-dome car, which seemed to get about three passengers. I had not known about this connection, or would have tried to fit it in. Probably just as well, as Mrs. Ispolkom did not enjoy the slow ride across the plains to Antonito, and was happy to board a speedy bus back to Chama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back