Santa Ana, CA to San Diego, CA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stlouielady

Lead Service Attendant
I am spending a couple of days in California next month, and since I will have a free day, I am taking a (very) short day trip. The plan is to depart from Santa Ana, and travel down to San Diego for the day, and then back up to Santa Ana. I am trying to find a little information about both of these stations, and the areas they are in. Is Santa Ana safe to park for the day? It looks like it is a transportation center parking lot, so I assume it is. What about San Diego? Where is the train station located, and what is nearby within walking distance? I've been to San Diego multiple times, but always with a car, so I didn't really pay much attention.

Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch folks...

Santa Ana is safe to park at. In addition to the surface lot on the north side, there's a 5 or 6 story structure on the south side, and all of it is free. There's not much within walkable distance, so don't plan on getting there early and doing your own walking tour of Santa Ana.

The San Diego station is downtown, with the harbor just a short walk away. Plenty to do there, including catching the light rail across the street and heading wherever it goes (including the international border, should you desire a genuine cerveza in its home country). SD Transit day passes aren't the easiest things to procure, so if you want one I recommend you get it online and have it mailed to you.

It is also serve by Metrolink, so it shouldn't be no problem to park.

San Diego station is located right next to the tracks, a road, some parking lots, and then ocean. There is light rail right next it that will take you all over town, even Mexico border. Also there is aircraft carrier museum in about 15 minutes walk. Whooz will rave about it!

As someone else mentioned, the Amtrak station is across the street from a major San Diego Trolley stop. From there you can go by trolley to 'Old Town' or to Seaport Village.

Both are a short ride away.

You can buy a ticket from a machine at the stop.

Here's a map of the trolley routes, and you can see Santa Fe Depot (Amtrak) on the left side.

Enjoy. I lived in San Diego for a number of years and am going back for the Christmas "holidaze"....my first time back in 10 years.

....and when you pay $5 per for the trolley pass, it gets you on the SD Trolley busses (which are red) for the same price. The San Diego station is located along the harbor, right before it curves north/east-ish :) where Seaport Village is. Hope that makes sense, since f you have been to SD a few times you probably know where those 2 places are!

You get the trolley by exiting the train station and going the "America Plaza" which sits east (left out of the station) . There is a yummy pizza place right in "America Plaza" and the last time we were there, we ordered a pizza and took it on the train with us :)

The trolleys go all over - Old Town, downtown, the US/Mexico border, Little Italy, shopping malls..San Diego Trolley website We took it south and then took the bus to Imperial Beach, which was fun. There is a nice pier and a GREAT ice cream shop called Cowabunga Ice Cream. Also, on the beach, you can walk along and hopefully find SAND DOLLARS! Very cool!

Have fun! San Diego is one of my favorites place to visit!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back