San Jose Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael061282

Lead Service Attendant
My son and I have a date with the Coast Starlight Monday evening from San Jose. What I need to know is, is there a place to store our bags while we go out and get some dinner, since i know the CS won't be serving dinner at 8:30pm. Lockers or a left luggage room or anything?

This is a late response, but the answer is no. San Jose is a relatively small station, and doesn't entertain many amenities.

I have, however, found that the dining car on the CS usually serves until 9:00p -- sometimes as late as 9:30, if the passenger load is high.

The timeliness of the train doesn't have a lot to do with whether the dining car is serving at a particular time -- only whether one can take advantage of it.

In any case, I suspect that most people prefer to eat earlier in than evening. I've always eaten before boarding the northbound CS in San Jose, picking up a dessert from the dining car, if I'm up for it.

The timeliness of the train doesn't have a lot to do with whether the dining car is serving at a particular time -- only whether one can take advantage of it.
In any case, I suspect that most people prefer to eat earlier in than evening. I've always eaten before boarding the northbound CS in San Jose, picking up a dessert from the dining car, if I'm up for it.
I always try to get a reservation at the first dinner seating, but my observation has been that other rooms around me often seek later reservations.

I've been meaning to reply but havent had time until now. The crew on the Starlight was really amazing. The train pulled into SJ almost 30 minutes late, after 9pm, the Sleeper attendant, took us to our room, and promptly asked us if we had eaten, we had, about 3:00 but not since, she then took charged and literally barged us through the PPC and into the diner and said rather loudly (and good naturedly) I have 2 for dinner! We were then served a full dinner with the crew. I was stunned. I never expected that to be honest. I was expecting a hot dog dinner in the lounge car, NOT a medium well steak in the diner that night!

I've been meaning to reply but havent had time until now. The crew on the Starlight was really amazing. The train pulled into SJ almost 30 minutes late, after 9pm, the Sleeper attendant, took us to our room, and promptly asked us if we had eaten, we had, about 3:00 but not since, she then took charged and literally barged us through the PPC and into the diner and said rather loudly (and good naturedly) I have 2 for dinner! We were then served a full dinner with the crew. I was stunned. I never expected that to be honest. I was expecting a hot dog dinner in the lounge car, NOT a medium well steak in the diner that night!
Yeah, Amtrak sucks and their SCAs are even worse!

Oh wait...

Wrong thread. :D

j/k of course. ;)

I'm glad to hear that you had a great experience. :thumbsup:

Yeah, Amtrak sucks and their SCAs are even worse!

Oh wait...

Wrong thread. :D

j/k of course. ;)

I'm glad to hear that you had a great experience. :thumbsup:
heh we got the other side of the Amtrak SCA's on the Empire Builder a couple nights later, but no worries, I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly and nothing much really bothers me. I let Amtrak know when I have a good one and I don't tip when I have a bad one

My son and I have a date with the Coast Starlight Monday evening from San Jose. What I need to know is, is there a place to store our bags while we go out and get some dinner, since i know the CS won't be serving dinner at 8:30pm. Lockers or a left luggage room or anything?
To answer the question you asked...yes, you can store your bags at the station with the ticket agent. Usually they charge $3 per bag though and you can store it as long as you wish. They will keep it locked behind the counter for you.

Are taxis ready for pickup at this station when the northbound Coast Starlight comes in? I going to a hotel upon arrival.

Are taxis ready for pickup at this station when the northbound Coast Starlight comes in? I going to a hotel upon arrival.

Not officially but there might be a few hanging around. Also Uber/Lyft is easy enough and will pick up right in front

Back