San Joaquin with points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We took a trip with double points and I think we have enough for a trip on the San Joaquins. Could we do Martinez or Chico without a car? Is there somewhere else we should be thinking of? Probably not San Francisco for this. We also did Sac.

Chico is nice but it isn't on the SJ Route! Take a look @ Davis, a really nice little college town with a great old SP Station ( staffed)! Its not on the SJ Route either but you can get off in Sacramrnto or Martinez and ride a Cap Corridor Train, an Thruway Ambus or take the Coast Starlight! Davis has everything you need within walking distance of the station!

Edited to correct connections for Davis and Chico!

Last edited by a moderator:
Caltrain doesn't go anywhere near Davis either. I think you mean the Capitol Corridor.

Not sure if you have enough time for this, but I'd suggest taking the train to Merced or Fresno and transfer to a bus to Yosemite. Not sure if that combo still counts as a special route redemption.

Even though the waterfalls won't be running as powerfully this year, the valley is always stunningly beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto what Rick said. Spend a few bucks, pay for the bus/van to Yosemite, NO CAR NEEDED. If you haven't been, you won't regret it. If you can spend a night, DO IT!

Back