San Joaquin info. And advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was originally booked onto 14 from lax to pix. 3 is 4 hours late and amtrak is sending me on the bus train combo from lax to Martinez to catch up to 14.

I checked and the San Joaquin appears not to have business class. I suspect cafe car will run out since the train is stocked in Oakland someplace.

How full is the 3:45 pm departure out of Bakersfield? Which side to sit on to look for hsr construction? How is the Martinez station?

Thank you for any information provided.

I was originally booked onto 14 from lax to pix. 3 is 4 hours late and amtrak is sending me on the bus train combo from lax to Martinez to catch up to 14.

I checked and the San Joaquin appears not to have business class. I suspect cafe car will run out since the train is stocked in Oakland someplace.

How full is the 3:45 pm departure out of Bakersfield? Which side to sit on to look for hsr construction? How is the Martinez station?

Thank you for any information provided.
Not much to see outside. Not sure about the 3:45 but we take 711 during the holiday's and it gets crowded / sold out. The cafe does seem to be ok. On the California Cars, the whole lower level is storage using airline drink carts so storage is probably not an issue. Now if you get a comet car, then I'm not sure how it will.

There is an outside chance you may have time in LAX for a quick visit to the Metro Lounge since your bus for Bakersfield doesn't leave till 1:05pm.

I would say that the right side would be the best one in the Train from Bakersfield to Martinez since the towns and Stations are mostly on that side of the tracks! Not sure about the HSR work?

I've always found that the Cafe cars generally have snack items available on this Route. Since you are leaving Bakersfield @ 345pm and don't arrive in MTZ until after 8pm, you should be able to find enough for a light supper. Every time I ridden there has been a large number of pax get on in Stockton.

As far as the Martinez Station goes, its a Modern, Brick Intermodel Station that is Staffed and very busy with the Ambuses, Capitol Corridor, San Joaquin and Starlight Trains.

There are vending machines and the small downtown close to the Station has a couple of convienence stores, Pizza Joints etc, but the town rolls up the sidewalks fairly early except on the weekends.There usually are a fair sized number of people boarding and detraining here!

Look for the Starlight to be late out of the Bay Area, the San Joaquins generally have good OTP so you'll have a layover @ the Station TBD???

I'll answer about Martinez. The station is nice and has friendly and knowledgeable agents, but really minimal food service (coffee, candy, a few pastries sometimes, not much more and not open very late ... sometimes she has locally made sandwiches or cookies). The depot restrooms require tokens (from the desk, just get one when you arrive so you'll have it if you need it later). I've never seen many homeless people in the area but there must be some because there are regular fatalities from transients walking the tracks, which are on a much easier route than the hillside road.

If you walk east along the tracks, there is a waterfront park with a steam engine, some paths and benches, marsh with birdwatching, marina, bait shop, etc. That is opposite side of tracks from depot. You won't have enough time but that park extends quite a distance along Carquinez Straits both directions.

Same side of tracks as the Amtrak depot is the old SP Depot, which the historic society has been putting money into. The city owns the SP building but I don't know if it is occupied yet, it is a great location and the historic society is not the only group that would like to use it. The SP Depot and the locomotive are roughly across the tracks from each other, there is also a hot dog place on the corner there.

Downtown is on the same side of the tracks and walkable, including decent restaurants. Martinez is the county seat (courthouse, jail) so keep your eyes open but it is generally low key and safe all night long.

Use your smartphone if you wander, Martinez rolls up the sidewalk pretty early, many of the restaurants are lunch only.

The stuff I've been reading suggests that the San Joaquin restocks in Oakland and typically has enough for four trips before restocking again. So it would be a matter of where this particular train is between restocking.

Oh - I've been to Martinez on a jury summons. There's really not that much within a block of the station, although there is a place that has hot dogs and burgers. Still - your problem would probably be that most of this part of Martinez shuts down at night since most of the county and court workers go home. I'm not even sure why, but there was a McDonald's there (wasn't open weekends) and even that closed.

There is a tap room with restaurant within a couple blocks of the train station, but that closes at 9.

http://www.creekmonkey.com

Thank you for the advice. It will be nice to get a choice of seats out of Bakersfield. I'll eat on the train. The issue of 14 running late is the most annoying aspect of this experience. If it's very late I might prefer to ride to emy and board 14 there.

I'll answer about Martinez. The station is nice and has friendly and knowledgeable agents, but really minimal food service (coffee, candy, a few pastries sometimes, not much more and not open very late ... sometimes she has locally made sandwiches or cookies). The depot restrooms require tokens (from the desk, just get one when you arrive so you'll have it if you need it later). I've never seen many homeless people in the area but there must be some because there are regular fatalities from transients walking the tracks, which are on a much easier route than the hillside road.

If you walk east along the tracks, there is a waterfront park with a steam engine, some paths and benches, marsh with birdwatching, marina, bait shop, etc. That is opposite side of tracks from depot. You won't have enough time but that park extends quite a distance along Carquinez Straits both directions.

Same side of tracks as the Amtrak depot is the old SP Depot, which the historic society has been putting money into. The city owns the SP building but I don't know if it is occupied yet, it is a great location and the historic society is not the only group that would like to use it. The SP Depot and the locomotive are roughly across the tracks from each other, there is also a hot dog place on the corner there.

Downtown is on the same side of the tracks and walkable, including decent restaurants. Martinez is the county seat (courthouse, jail) so keep your eyes open but it is generally low key and safe all night long.

Use your smartphone if you wander, Martinez rolls up the sidewalk pretty early, many of the restaurants are lunch only.
The 717 isn't scheduled to get into Martinez until 8:56 PM. However, that's at least 90 minutes before the 14 gets there - assuming everything is on schedule.

I've overshot taking the Capitol Corridor to Richmond and ended up in Martinez with a note from a conductor to get me back to Richmond. I think I actually ended up taking the 717 back to Richmond since it was late, but before the first southbound Capitol Corridor got into Martinez. I had almost an hour to kill and walked around. There is absolutely nothing there to do that late. Almost all the businesses open and close around county government and court hours. I mentioned one place open later, but even that closes at 9 PM.

I figure that late, only bars will be open. Martinez is the kind of town where they have classic dives. I've not been to either of these, but if you feel like taking a walk, you might head over to the old Santa Fe depot, then up Ferry Street. Yelp has reviews.

Whiskey Lane, 629 Ferry, (925) 229-2454, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whiskey-Lane/111678905534715

Nu-Rays, 709 Ferry, (925) 370-7090 (Used to be Ray's Lounge), https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nu-Rays/1423637877883614

There is also a new wine and coffee bar that might be open, they've been closed a long time for remodeling after a move, and just re-opened a couple of weeks ago. It's one of those places that makes "best of" lists in the free weekly regularly. They haven't kept up their website or facebook pages but are responding to comments on their blog.

Barrel Aged Restaurant and Cocktail Bar, 823 Main Street (crosses Ferry on the way to those bars), (925) 228-7795

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back