San Francisco to New York via Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering booking SF to NY via Chicago for my wife and I in March 2013. We are from the UK, are well travelled, but not with trains in the USA. We are considering booking a roomette. I have read numerous posts on this site, but still need advice.

1. Safety. Any comments welcome, inparticular on the Chicago to New York section.

2. Lounge at Chicago station. Where is it, and what does it provide?

3. How secure is your baggage? Can anybody pick up your case and walk off in the middle of the night at a station?

4. What tips would you advise for the roomette? eg do you take your own drinks, are there enough electrical plugs - does anybody take an extension lead? :)

6. Is there a post or site giving advice for any longer stops at stations?

7. Is it worth staying a night in Chicago prior to travelling on?

Many thanks.

I am considering booking SF to NY via Chicago for my wife and I in March 2013. We are from the UK, are well travelled, but not with trains in the USA. We are considering booking a roomette. I have read numerous posts on this site, but still need advice.

1. Safety. Any comments welcome, inparticular on the Chicago to New York section.

3. How secure is your baggage? Can anybody pick up your case and walk off in the middle of the night at a station?

4. What tips would you advise for the roomette? eg do you take your own drinks, are there enough electrical plugs - does anybody take an extension lead? :)

Many thanks.
I'll give you my take. I'm sure you will get other viewpoints.

1. Safety on the train (either train or personal) is not a problem at all. From that end, just relax and enjoy yourself.

2. The lounge in Chicago, called the Metropolitan Lounge, is open to anyone riding sleeper service. It has nice seating, well maintained rest rooms (toilets), and some refreshments. It is a nice oasis from the chaos of the station, however, by airline lounge standards, it is pretty spartan.

3. Baggage in the common storage area of the sleeper car is not secured, but in practice, incidents involving missing bags are pretty rare. However, it does happen (and I witnessed one such occurrence myself). I would take anything of value with you to your room. You can also check baggage. Amtrak checked baggage is pretty reliable.

4. You can certainly bring some adult beverages with you to your room and consume them there. Your own beverages must stay in your room. The room has power outlets (USA 110v - 60hz, of course). An extension cord could be helpful to allow you to place your device where ever you like while it is charging or being used.

6. The only stop where you will have enough time to really explore is Chicago. Denver allows a little time, but the station is temporarily isolated from downtown Denver, so there is not much to do there.

7. Even though it will increase your Amtrak fare a bit, I strongly urge to spend a night in Chicago. First, Chicago is a great city. There is lots to see and do there. Second, Amtrak trains coming into Chicago from the west can sometimes arrive so late that you can miss your eastbound connection to New York. While Amtrak will accommodate that with either a later train or a train the next day (with a hotel room and meals overnight), your re-accommodation on Amtrak may not include a room, plus you will have to deal with Amtrak in Chicago to process your changes. By staying over, not only do you avoid any angst with a late arrival into Chicago, you know will not lose your roomette onward to New York, and you get to experience Chicago for a day. A win-win.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago is located on the lower level of Union Station, which is also the track level. If you are standing in front of the Amtrak ticket windows, then the Amtrak waiting area is to your left. When you enter the main Amtrak waiting area through a sliding glass door, just walk forward and slightly to the left. There should be another sliding glass door along with a sign, unless they've changed the entrance in the last few months. Again, just show your tickets and relax.

They'll also give you a card that contains the time that you need to return to the lounge by, in order to board the train and not miss it. If you do leave the lounge, take this card with you as it is also your pass for reentering the lounge. Just wave it at the attendants as you walk in and one will usually look up and acknowledge you and the card. Note the Chicago lounge can be very busy and it sometimes can be hard to get a seat, but you still get the free stuff and priority boarding.

Note: They may make you leave your carry-on bags in the luggage room inside the lounge, if the lounge is very crowded. There is a redcap manning this room who will give you a claim check for your bags, such that you can claim them shortly before you board the train. One nice advantage of this is the fact that you can park your carryon bags here, while you wander around Chicago and do lunch, assuming that your trains arrive on time.

Regarding a stopover-if it were me, I would suggest getting off and staying a day or two in Denver rather than Chicago. The Rocky Mt's are amazing, and there is a lot to see and do within an hour or so of Denver. Chicago is ok, but, really, it's just another large city. I prefer the Wild West I guess.

A note on the power. There is only ONE outlet in a roomette. In many cars (not all), it is somewhat recessed and the "flat" extension cords with the cord perpendicular to the prongs don't work in it. If you get an extension cord, make sure and get one with a traditional plug. It also says 'shaver only' - don't pay attention to that.

Many thanks.

Welcome! I want to wish you the best of luck with your trip. I hope you enjoy your visit to America.

1. You'll be fine. You shouldn't encounter any safety problems on Amtrak at all. I know that among Europeans America has a reputation for crime, and it is true that there is more violent crime in the United States than on the other side of the pond, you're very unlikely to encounter any yourself. Most of it happens to people who know each other or in neighborhoods you're probably not going to visit (and certainly not aboard trains).
  2. The Metropolitan Lounge is a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle. It has clean bathrooms, free soft drinks, and some snacks. Additionally, there's free secure bag storage. And it's only open to sleeper passengers.
  3. There are three ways to handle your baggage: (1) You can check it. This way is very secure. You'll have to show a claim check to pick it up, so not just anyone can walk off with it. (2) You can bring it with you in your roomette. If you pack light, this shouldn't be an issue. This should be pretty secure. (3) You can leave it in a rack in the corridor of the sleeping car. Theoretically, anyone could walk off with it, but as only sleeping car passengers are allowed in the sleeping car, this is probably not a frequent occurrence.
  4. I would advise that you get a roomette or bedroom. It's a long trip across the States, and you'll appreciate a bed, I think. Feel free to bring your own drinks and things. Keep in mind that if you're in sleeper, meals in the dining car are included in your fare. Additionally, there's a cafe on the lower level of the lounge where you can purchase snacks, drinks, and light food.
  5. My advice for alighting during the station stops is: Never get farther away from the train than a 30 second jog. The train can and will leave without you. I do like to get off at the longer stops to get some fresh air and take photos. Others like to smoke (smoking is not allowed aboard).
  6. I would suggest that you do stay a night in Chicago. It can help ensure you don't miss your connection if there's a problem on your first leg. Additionally, Chicago is a great city with lots of things to see and do.

Let us know if you have other questions!

Amtrak has baggage tags at staffed stations which you can label and hook onto your baggage. If your case has a tag with your name on it, then I can guarantee that anyone with a good conscience will leave it alone if it is stored in the common baggage storage areas.

Many thanks.
G'Day Lincoln18, we are also taking our first Amtrak journey in early March next year. We will be traveling from Los Angeles to San Francisco, San Francisco to Chicago, Chicago to Washington and Washington to New York where we will connect with a cruise back to Los Angeles via the Panama Canal. We have planned a 3 day stop in San Francisco, 1 day in Chicago and 3 days in Washington on the way so we can do a bit of sight seeing and not be concerned about missing connections along the way.

I know that bedrooms and roomettes are very expensive in relation to the actual train fare, however, when you factor in the meals and other benefits they actually represent pretty good value, particularly if you book early and get the cheaper prices. We decided that we needed the extra space and a flat bed so we booked a roomette on the 11 hour Los Angeles to San Francisco leg and bedrooms on the longer San Francisco to Chicago and Chicago to Washington legs. A coach seat will be fine for the final 3 hour journey from Washington to New York.

We are really looking forward to our trip and we are very thankful to the many people on this forum who have helped us so far with advice and information that will make our trip more enjoyable and less stressful.

Garry :lol:

Thank you one and all.

All advice has been greatly appreciated.

Apologies to any golfers about the Ryder Cup. :)

...Apologies to any golfers about the Ryder Cup. :)
Whew! Wasn't that something? Your boys sure had a good time afterwards.

The Golf Channel (USA) had a suggestion for all future European team selections. Nine automatics by points, two captains picks, and Poulter. He was a beast.

Hi,

Greetings from Nottingham, UK...

Most of your questions have been answered, so I am just waffling... I would certainly encourage you to break your journey in Chicago, if you have not visited the city before. It will mean that you should not have any worries about late running of your train from San Francisco, and Chicago is a wonderful city, in my opinion. I have travelled many thousands of rail miles on Amtrak, and never felt unsafe for one minute. As you will have read, the Zephyr train has some fantastic scenery, which you would miss by flying. There are few "longer stops", although Denver involves a halt of around an hour. You can download timetables from Amtrak.com which show the layovers.

Have a great trip.

Ed :cool:

Hello to you all. We are travelling next month from San Francisco to New York with Amtrak. Brilliant information and advice on this site thanks so much to everyone who contributed. Our only concern is that our train may arrive late at Chicago and we will miss our connection train to New York. The train and the journey is part of a prebooked package and the arrangements are fixed and are not alterable. Does a delay often occur on the service from San Francisco to Chicago? Any information would be useful.

Steve

Delays do happen; however, Amtrak has a pretty good record of getting you to your destination. Maybe not "on time", but you do get there.

If your train runs late, there are a number of options. For one, the rail lines in and out of Chicago are somewhat congested, and the Amtrak schedules are padded both in and out of the city to reflect that. So, if it appears that your train is going to run late enough for your connection to be problematic, Amtrak may take you off the California Zephyr early—say in Galesburg or Naperville—and bus you directly to South Bend or Lafayette to bypass the congestion in Chicago and let you catch up with your train there. If you are scheduled for one of the earlier trains (Cardinal or Capitol Limited) they may bump you to a later train (such as the Lake Shore Limited) if space is available. Only as a last resort will they keep you in Chicago overnight to catch the next day's train, and if they do my understanding is that they will provide you with hotel and meal vouchers (I know they will do this if you booked sleeper accommodations; I'm a little less sure about hotel being provided if you booked in coach).

There are no real guarantees in any mode of transportation. Thunderstorms happen to airliners. Accidents block freeways. Unfortunately, you have fewer alternatives available when you travel by rail than if you fly or drive, due to our society's decision to spend untold billions subsidizing airlines and highways but to only support passenger rail at the "one a day" level; when something does happen to that one a day you're stuck. Still and all, Amtrak does have a pretty good record at getting you to your destination, as I said in the beginning. I hope that you have a pleasant and uneventful trip.

Hi,

I echo what ehbowen says... just relax and enjoy the wonderful Zephyr scenery.

Ed :cool:
Yeah this is a rare Zephyr thread with so little talk of the Rockies and the Sierra Nevada! My first time through those mountains was mind boggling. I've done it 3 more times since and every time is amazing again.

Enjoy!

Are you spending tourist time in San Francisco before heading east? It is definitely worth a day or two. If you are, I have some suggestionss, if interested. You are far safer on the train than you will be walking around in New York City. Be certain to keep a good sitautional awareness. The question is not whether or not to be paranoid, but how much paranoia is appropriate. Some certain is necessary. San Francisco people can be fairly reasonable and helpful. Chicago, I do not know about. New York, they will run over you and then cuss at you for being in their way.

An additional minor suggestion: Yes, there is only one outlet in the sleeping car rooms. I carry a multi plug so I can plug in my sleep apnea machine, cell phone, or perhaps the laptop.

@ Lincoln18

As a fellow Brit I can only echo what others have said about safety onboard Amtrak trains. I've done quite a few journeys, mainly on the 'regional' and Acela services, but have also done the 'Lake Shore' 'Zephyr' and 'Empire Builder'. We all know some of us Limeys and Europeans have the 'oh my, in America, everyone carries a gun' mentality and that crime is rife. However, having been to the USA over 16 times now I'd confidently say the USA is a safer place to be for the average Joe. And this includes Amtrak too. You also will probably find Americans don't tolerate anti social or drunken behaviour like we do in the UK.

Definitely stay a night in Chicago. Its not as spectacular as New York or pretty as DC, but has a charm of its own.

Enjoy the ride!

Are you spending tourist time in San Francisco before heading east? It is definitely worth a day or two. If you are, I have some suggestionss, if interested. You are far safer on the train than you will be walking around in New York City. Be certain to keep a good sitautional awareness. The question is not whether or not to be paranoid, but how much paranoia is appropriate. Some certain is necessary. San Francisco people can be fairly reasonable and helpful. Chicago, I do not know about. New York, they will run over you and then cuss at you for being in their way.
I think New Yorkers get a bum rap - NY - especially Manhattan - is a high-speed city and the locals can be impatient if they think you are lollygagging and blocking the way, or otherwise wasting their time.

But - when I took the train there with my then 4-year-old daughter back in 1991 - when we rode the crowded subway - someone - any age,race,ethnicity, or gender - would stand up and offer me and the child a seat. Every time we rode a crowded car. That doesn't often happen here in MSP where I have stood in the aisle on the bus for 6 miles with two small children several times.

The environment shapes the terms of politeness.

I'm going to Tokyo soon - where - it seems - it is very impolite to take even the extra space for your newspaper or laptop in the subway.

Chicago is like a cross between NY and MSP in my experience - take a day there.

Hope you enjoy the voyage.

Take care, don't sweat it (noli perspirare is the Latin I think) too bad we can't visit Rome in 40 AD.

I think New Yorkers get a bum rap - NY - especially Manhattan - is a high-speed city and the locals can be impatient if they think you are lollygagging and blocking the way, or otherwise wasting their time.

But - when I took the train there with my then 4-year-old daughter back in 1991 - when we rode the crowded subway - someone - any age,race,ethnicity, or gender - would stand up and offer me and the child a seat. Every time we rode a crowded car. That doesn't often happen here in MSP where I have stood in the aisle on the bus for 6 miles with two small children several times.

The environment shapes the terms of politeness.

I'm going to Tokyo soon - where - it seems - it is very impolite to take even the extra space for your newspaper or laptop in the subway.

Chicago is like a cross between NY and MSP in my experience - take a day there.

Hope you enjoy the voyage.

Take care, don't sweat it (noli perspirare is the Latin I think) too bad we can't visit Rome in 40 AD.
My New York comment was based on experience from a trip make while working in DC, so the Northeasst was not exactly terra incognito. Admittedly, it was 35 years ago, but we said to each other on the way back that we considered to be two trips in one, our first and our last. It did help me understand why the New Yorkers in our office considered being in DC as being in the South. We have each been back once since, my wife to visit a relative that lived on Long Island, me for work, for about 3 months. I did get more used to how it functioned, but I was still very happy to see it dissapear behind me.

Tokyo: Easy to get around. Everything is well marked. Many signs have English / Roman Alphabet duplicates. I found the signage on public transportation orders of magnitude easier to comprehend and follow than that in New York. Yes, it is crowded, but people there crowd well. The atmosphere is quite different from New York. If you want to make yourself the true and outstnading Ugly American act like a New Yorker in Tokyo. If you can't manage to act in the Japanese manner while in Tokyo, please don't go. We spent a week in Japan including a couple of days in Tokyo and loved every minute of it but we tried as much as practical without knowing the language to do like the locals in getting around. We considered the level of crowding overstated. But maybe 15 years in Asia had modified out perspective on what crowded means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back