San Antonio Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the Sunset Limited gets into San Antonio at a late hour,is it safe to walk to the Red Roof Inn ? I am looking at trip in October

The main rule of thumb is to stay North of the station and West of the tracks. I would probably feel safe walking there. However, I'm unlikely to be the most appealing target on any given night. If I was a lady traveling alone and/or unfamiliar with the area I'd probably just take a cab. It couldn't cost very much to reach such a close location. Cabs will generally meet the trains at the station and even if there aren't any left over for you they can easily call over more cabs with their cell phones.

Since the Sunset Limited gets into San Antonio at a late hour,is it safe to walk to the Red Roof Inn ? I am looking at trip in October
Any reason why you'd need to stay at the Red Roof? There's a Staybridge Suites within walking distance of the Amtrak station.

Plenty of Nicer places to stay in San Antonio including a Really Nice Best Western Sunset Suites across the Street from the Station towards town, La Quinta Suites by Dennys and even some of the Places on the River Walk when Nothing is going on Special. Id Google Kayak or Orbitz or similar and see whats Available, nothing Wrong with Red Roof Inns but I stayed in Hyatt Place on the Riverwalk with Breakfast for $89 the week before Christmas and it was Very Nice! The area between the Station and the River Walk (Commerce street) isnt unsafe, you might see a few Panhandlers (probably more around the Amshak!)and Street People late at Night but lots of Traffic and People from the Train going to Dennys/to the Riverwalk etc.

Good time of year to be in San Antonio, it's Cooled off by then! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pat and Jim make good points as well. The Staybridge Suites hotel is literally right next door to the station and the Best Western is only a crooked block away or so. And of course just about every major brand of hotel is represented somewhere along the far more lively and picturesque river walk. The primary word of caution is don't cross the tracks and don't head south of the station. Those areas would not be good for late night strolls.

If you are booked through SAS on trains #421 or #422, there is no need for a hotel in SAS. You can sleep on the train in your seat or room! One coach and one sleeper (train #421 or train #422) get switched between trains. So if you're booked on them, you can (if you wish) stay aboard and sleep thru the stop!
smile.gif

If you booked train #2 to SAS connecting to train #21, then you must get off in SAS!
sad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back