Same CL consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
I took a quick down and back trip from Cleveland to DC Saturday and Sunday. I don't usually take much notice of a train's consist but this one caught my eye. On the front, between locos and the baggage car were two low level coaches. I figured they were being transfered to the NEC. We were about an hour and a half late into DC which eliminated a trip to my favorite nearby pub the Irish Times, but I digress.

As we were getting ready to board 29 for the return trip, I noticed two low level coaches on the front of the consist again. Unfortunately, I didn't get the coaches numbers so I can't be sure they were the same as we brought in on train 30.

Is it possible that they just turned the 30 train around and used it for the next trip on 29? How could they possibly had time to get the same consist ready in that short time?

As far as I know, the #30 always lays overnight in DC and heads out as the NEXT day's #29. So if I had to guess, there was probably some sort of a swap happening, where Chicago was sending something to DC (possibly for repairs) and getting something in return (possibly good replacements).

Just a guess.

Rafi

If Chicago was transferring something to DC for repair, it'd be to go up to Bear, DE right? What about Beech Grove? Where do they play into the whole repair scheme?

Matt,

You are correct, Bear would be handling any Amfleet repairs. Beech Grove deals with the Heritage diners, major overhauls for the Viewliners, Superliners and their kin, and Horizons.

These were Horizon coaches, not Amfleets. I was at Point of Rocks on Saturday and saw 30 roll through.

I took a quick down and back trip from Cleveland to DC Saturday and Sunday. I don't usually take much notice of a train's consist but this one caught my eye. On the front, between locos and the baggage car were two low level coaches. I figured they were being transfered to the NEC. We were about an hour and a half late into DC which eliminated a trip to my favorite nearby pub the Irish Times, but I digress.As we were getting ready to board 29 for the return trip, I noticed two low level coaches on the front of the consist again. Unfortunately, I didn't get the coaches numbers so I can't be sure they were the same as we brought in on train 30.

Is it possible that they just turned the 30 train around and used it for the next trip on 29? How could they possibly had time to get the same consist ready in that short time?
When I arrived at the WUS Acela Lounge on 1/8 I check the status of #30 into WAS and saw that it was due to arrive at 3:00. I asked the woman behind the counter if that days #30 would be todays #29, she laughed and said no there is a separate trainset ready to go and if we did use the same trainset it would never get out of DC in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back