Sad. Pedestrian killed by Acela in Attleboro, MA.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course a "pedestrian" would not be walking on the tracks. Only a trespasser would be on the tracks.

I was thinking the same thing, Alan. I was also wondering where there was a grade crossing for someone to get hit at on the NEC.

I am almost positive that there are no crossovers for passengers at Attleboro Station, I believe you have to cross under the tracks by way of Mill Street or Main street. I am thinking that the person was standing too close to the edge of the platform perhaps? It's a shame either way though.

BOS-T-Time

Edit: The news report online is now saying a person has been killed with more details to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course a "pedestrian" would not be walking on the tracks. Only a trespasser would be on the tracks.
No, actually anyone who is walking is, by definition, a "pedestrian." That pedestrian may also have been trespassing, but the person is still a pedestrian.

Local news here in Boston area said that it was a lady and it happened in front of the platform. No age or name or further information given as of the 5pm ET headlines.

South Attleboro (MBTA) station has a crossover bridge for pedestrians.

The thing I don't understand is that both the Providence and Boston media use the location byline of "Attleboro" when the station in question is actually "South Attleboro" (as noted by the reference to "near Newport Avenue"). And yes there is a bridge at the station.

The reason this is irritating is that MBTA has stations in Attleboro and South Attleboro on this line.

Last edited by a moderator:
South Attleboro has a pedestrian bridge across the tracks. The station is actually at a very busy shopping center with a grocery store, furniture store, home depot, olive garden, mcdonalds, etc.

That still doesn't explain why the woman was on the tracks, but I can kind of see how it could happen. Perhaps she was confused, etc. It is actually JUST over the RI/Mass border. Newport Ave is in Pawtucket.

Maybe she was trying to catch a MBTA train coming in the other direction.
The only MBTA train in the opposite direction goes to Providence (a few miles away), TF Greene airport and Wickford Junction - all within 20 miles south. The AE was headed to BOS (north).

And Amamba, the Shaw's in that plaza closed years ago. I don't believe a new grocery store opened there.

Maybe she was trying to catch a MBTA train coming in the other direction.
The only MBTA train in the opposite direction goes to Providence (a few miles away), TF Greene airport and Wickford Junction - all within 20 miles south. The AE was headed to BOS (north).

And Amamba, the Shaw's in that plaza closed years ago. I don't believe a new grocery store opened there.
LOL, it is too far for me to go to regularly. And by too far, I mean like 5 miles! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back