Sacramento Valley Station Red Cap service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdscott

Train Attendant
Although I’ve used SAC a few times, I wouldn’t use Red Cap and therefore don’t recall if the service is provided. Amtrak’s web site was of no help.

Is Red Cap available at SAC?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Sacramento is not listed as a station with Red Cap baggage assistance:

Free Red Cap Baggage Handling Service

In addition to self-service handcarts in a number of Amtrak stations, you can count on uniformed Red Caps to provide free baggage-handling assistance at many major stations. We recommend that you accept assistance from only uniformed Red Cap agents. All baggage handled by Red Cap is protected by a claim check.

Free Red Cap assistance service is offered at these major stations:

• Baltimore, MD
  • Boston, MA (South Station)
  • Chicago, IL
  • Los Angeles, CA

• New Haven, CT
  • New York, NY
  • Newark, NJ
  • Philadelphia, PA

• Portland, OR
  • Seattle, WA
  • Washington, DC
  • Wilmington, DE

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/baggage-policy/at-station-baggage-services.html

Thanks to both of you. I’ll do what I can to be there to take charge when my elderly mom & step dad arrive. If so, problem solved. If I’m still in The Diego, I’ve gotta talk them through a bunch of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

While they don't have 'Red Caps' SAC does have staff that take people & their baggage to/from the train platform.

Thursday, 3/29 I was there to catch the CZ back here to Iowa.

Staff came to the sleeper passenger waiting area to get us about 30 minutes before the scheduled train departure to take us out to the platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can also confirm that golf carts met an arriving CZ recently. This really is the definition of red cap, although NYP is an exception in that red caps don't seem to carry people in golf carts, only luggage in hand carts.

The difference is that the red-caps are dedicated specifically to that task, while "station staff" may be involved in other tasks, such as checking in bags at the counter and bringing them to the baggage cars....

Back