Rude light rail riders...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rode to Santa Monica Pier last January on the metro and a very nice,big guy sat in a seat perpendicular to us and advised that unless there was a USC game, they didn’t get many riders like us. We had a pleasant trip and felt safe. He was really big and no one bothered us or even came near!

I'll tell you what... I found more public courtesy in NYC than I have in Dallas or Miami or even Southern California.
Same here. but my experience of NYC is dated.

I remember that when I and my 4yo daughter rode the subway a decade or more ago

Always, someone, any age, race, gender -- would offer me and the kid a seat within a stop or two , however full the subway car was.

Coming from Minneapolis, this was new and strange to me. I'd stood in the aisle in MSP on the (then) slow crosstown 16 bus all the 45 minute way with an infant in a carrier and a toddler in my arms and thought "this makes me stronger"

MSP Metro Transit is mostly better and pax more courteous now -- hoping NYC hasn't gotten worse.

In Singapore, they have a series of placards encouraging appropriate behavior--like, don't keep a backpack on your bag, or you might hit someone, let others off before crowding on, etc. Seems to work there.

On the other hand, light rail in Seattle has some humorous placards to discourage people from putting luggage on their seats, stretching out over two seats, etc. I haven't noticed particularly high levels of compliance...

Apparently fines and caning beat gentle peer pressure. Unfortunately, because I'm not in favor of fines and caning, myself.

In the mountains of Georgia & North Carolina, you will notice that the people are very friendly and will greet everyone, even strangers. You notice the difference in stores and on the street,

I think it is a small town thing. A nice change from the big cities and south Florida!
One should also remember that Miami is not all of South Florida. There are plenty of rural areas with typical rural behavior even in South Florida. They are just not touristy enough for your average non-Floridians to venture there - thankfully, I might add
default_wink.png

Back