Rude and insensitive passengers on board

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the CS northbound by myself two years ago, I was seated for lunch with a family of three--father, mother and son about eight years old. It became clear very quickly that the father had just been released from prison and the family was going home to Oregon to reestablish itself. They were quite shy until I started taking about the new job he was taking, about his son's sports interests, and soon we all were having a great conversation. It was especially important for the son to see that his dad was not an outcast but engaged in regular back-and-forth with people. The lunch was one of the best encounters I have had on more than 50 Amtrak multi-night jaunts.

Most people are pretty receptive when you ask. I've even had the window-sitter offer "Hey, would you like to plug your phone in?".
If I get the window seat and somebody boards I usually ask them as they're getting settled if they want to plug their phone in... gets the conversation out of the way early and on my terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back