Routing differences

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbug119

Train Attendant
I am taking a trip from Orlando, visiting Chicago, Minneapolis and Lee's Summit (Kansas City MO area). I have taken the Orlando to Chicago route multiple times with the long layover in Washington which I like because I can fit in some sightseeing. The route in reverse doesn't allow for that much time. KC is my last visiting place before I head home so I looked for routes there. I get the SW Chief (daytime ride) then a route via Pennsylvania, which I've never taken. I can do coach from KC to Chicago and stay overnight if i have to. But I do not see the Penn route available when I look at Chicago to Orlando. Am I missing something??
confused.gif

CHICAGOVIAITTS.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's just me, but the 5:05 AM arrival in Pittsburgh goes against the Pennsylvania option. You didn't mention whether you are going coach or sleeper. It's no fun to be rousted out of bed that early. If I didn't like taking the CL all the way to WAS, I would take the LSL via NYP, even though it requires a stop over in New York.

I've taken the CL to Pittsburgh 5 times in order to bike the Great Allegheny Passage; and 4 of 5 times it was unfashionably right on time.

You could do the route via PGH and PHL. The train does have a guaranteed connection with 97 in Philly.

Why not in your return trip go via the cardinal. It's a great route.

Back