Route Choice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John

Will be traveling from Chicago to the West in June or July. Anyone have a preference between the Empire Builder or the California Zephyr? Would get off the Empire Builder in Shelby Mont. and the Zephyr is Denver. The more scenic route would please the better half, which makes the trip MUCH easier.

Thanks,

John

If you're getting off the CZ in Denver, you're guilty of "tripus interruptus". Any chance you could extend to SLC; most of the scenic part of the CZ is traversing the Rockies during daylight between Denver and Salt Lake City.

Ocala Mike

I agree with Mike, If you are getting off at Denver, take the Empire Builder instead for the the Mississippi River Views. If you are getting off at Salt Lake City, take the Zephyr.

I agree with Mike. And the EB has the advantage of a longer trip - a 5pm arrival in Shelby instead of 8am in Denver. But then, your spouse may not think that's an advantage. And be forewarned: the great plains of North Dakota and Montana may not be appreciated by all. Personally I think it's fascinating - you really get a sense of how big this country is (and how sparsely populated it is in that area).

Are you only going one-way on the train, or RT? If RT, use one train outbound and the other back to your home.

Your trip itinerary comes SSOOOOO close to being pretty, with both stops just a few minutes from some really scenic passes. But if you can't or wouldn't like to extend either leg, I would take the EB to Shelby for the Miss. River and because Chicago-Denver sells out quicker and therefore has higher prices (usually, but can't be guaranteed).

Any chance you could fly to Denver and ride the CZ to California? As everyone else is saying, the ride West of Denver across the Rockies and Sierras is a trip of a lifetime.

Any chance you could fly to Denver and ride the CZ to California? As everyone else is saying, the ride West of Denver across the Rockies and Sierras is a trip of a lifetime.

Thanks for all the great info guys. This will be our second long trip on Amtrak. I love the trains, and the boss tolerates em, to a point. Looking at the maps I think it would be smart to extend our trip to Salt Lake. This is our first time visiting the area and will be touring the beautiful scenery. I did notice someone say the trains sell out. Do they add extra cars when this happens, or not??

Thanks,

John

No extra cars or extra sections, John. That would be a throwback to actual passenger railroading; remember we're talking Amtrak here. My suggestion is to bite the bullet and book as early as possible.

Ocala Mike

No extra cars or extra sections, John. That would be a throwback to actual passenger railroading; remember we're talking Amtrak here. My suggestion is to bite the bullet and book as early as possible.

Ocala Mike
Great advice and fantastic move to stay on until SLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back