Round trip or separate reservations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When planning a round trip on Amtrak I usually reserve the trip on one reservation. However there is no discount for a round trip reservation,it is merely double the one way fare.

Is there any reason why it would be better to make a separate reservation for each one-way leg of the trip instead of putting them on one round trip reservation? Thanks.

When planning a round trip on Amtrak I usually reserve the trip on one reservation. However there is no discount for a round trip reservation,it is merely double the one way fare.

Is there any reason why it would be better to make a separate reservation for each one-way leg of the trip instead of putting them on one round trip reservation? Thanks.
There is an advantage to booking the two legs seperately. (Especially if you are traveling hundreds or thousands of miles).

With separate reservations, one won’t automatically be canceled if you are a no-show.

Also, if you need to cancel one leg you will be able to cancel just one instead of the whole trip.

The disadvantage is you’ll have to enter your info twice, and you’ll have two reservation numbers. But the pros outweigh the cons Imo.

Depends on the trip and the trains I'm going to be using. For my last trip I tried to book segments with a connection I needed to be guaranteed on combined reservations (e.g., OKC-FTW-STL), and then everything else as separate reservations. I think this works the best for flexibility plus there's less chance of an agent messing up the rest of the reservation should you need to make a change.

I've booked my round trip on the Sunset Limited on one itinerary because if I wasn't going to use the train I'd have to cancel the entire thing.

The only distinction is the Surfliner in unreserved coach. In that case you're basically buying a ticket to be used up to a year past the reservation date without tickets requiring a reissue. Business Class tickets would need to be reissued for any schedule change, as they use reserved seating.

Last edited:
I sometimes even book connecting trips as separate reservations, mostly to avoid the "no show " problem, although I guess if my first train is late, I won't get any help form Amtrak to make the connection. Back about 20 years ago, they used to charge the same fare BAL - CHI and WAS-CHI. Naturally, I'd buy the through fare from Baltimore. But a lot of times I was leaving from work (in Washington), and I'd want to ride down to Washington on 67 early in the morning. It was not easy to get this ticketed. When they stopped giving the "free" ride between WAS and BAL, I would often just book WAS-CHI and buy a separate ticket for 67. I should note that some of these trips were work trips, and they wouldn't reimburse me for the BAL-WAS part, as that was my normal commute. The other time I do this is when passing through Chicago, as I've been building in a layover day on my though trips since the era of the great Norfolk-Southern meltdown. Thus, when the Eagle was 8 hours late on my return from the Gathering in 2019, I wasn't all panicked at not being able to make my connection. (On the other hand, Amtrak didn't pay for my night in Chicago. :) )

For my upcoming Canada trip this November, I'm booking the BAL - ALB segment as one reservation, including a connection at NYP. But the Northeast Regionals and Empire Service runs pretty frequently, so if there's a screwup, I should still get to Albany that day. (The Albany -Toronto segment is a separate reservation.) The return trip from Seattle, I booked the Empire Builder to Chicago as a separate reservation, built in an overnight in Chicago, and then a Chicago to Baltimore reservation that includes the connection in Washington. Again, the Capitol has to be really late to miss the last connecting train to Baltimore, but it did nearly happen to me once.

When using the USA Rail Pass book your short trains on separate reservation to allow you to do more long trains I may even buy the starlight segment to give me another segment. I can't see burning a segment for MKE to Chi or PDX to EMY which gives me 2 more segments ive done all Amtrak routes using this practice in one month I can do 2 Passes and see all corners of the country. To repeat it the next I love the retirement life.

Back