Round Country Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Just returned from a round-country first class trip on Amtrak. Began in Jax on the Silver Star to D. C. where I changed to the Cardinal over to Chicago. Changed there to the Empire Builder to Seattle. Spent 2 nights in Seattle before taking the Coast Starlight down to LA. Spent one night in LA. Then brought the Southwest Chief back to Chicago where I changed over to the Capitol Limited back to D.C. Changed there to the Silver Meteor back to Jax.

I must say that this trip was the best round-country train trip I have ever taken (third time)...

The Silver Service from JAX to WAS was as to be expected on that route. Adequate, but nothing superb. No announcements in the sleepers and no coffee in the sleepers in the mornings. I take those trains regularly and it always seems to be that way. The sleeper attendants had a much greater presence in the cars than in the past however.

The Cardinal had the modified diner service where pre-prepared meals were brought on board and warmed up on a steam table. The food was adequate but nothing compared to the freshly cooked meals on all the other trains.

The services on the Empire Builder were beyond superb. My sleeping car attendant offered champagne and trail mix (what a combination) immediately upon departing Chicago. I tipped (bribed) him handsomely and the entire trip he kept bringing champagne, cookies, trail mix, mimosas and/or apple cider to my room.

The Coast Starlight's Pacific Parlor car was a beautifully appointed lounge with a theater downstairs. It was very quiet, with comfortable stuffed chairs which rotated. One end of the car had a mahogany bar with brass rails and tables where meals could be taken if you so desired rather than going to the dining car. The sleeper attendant was very, very good.

The Southwest Chief was very good but it seems that the further east and south I went, the less service was offered by the car attendants.

The Capitol Limited was very good with an attendant who was as professional as I have ever seen, with almost a regal bearing. Not falling all over himself to bring drinks all the time but extremely sophisticated, and the epitome of polished presence.

Back on the Silver Meteor coming south service was adequate.

I tipped all the attendants because they all did a good job, some better than others, but all a good job. It should be noted that all these trains were very close to on-time (within a matter of minutes) with the exception of the Coast Starlight which, beyond its control, was held up behind a freight which had struck a vehicle which went around the gates.

I was able to do this entire trip in first-class with Amtrak Guest Rewards so it didn't cost my a penny except for the 3 hotel nights and tips.

My only frustration was that I dozed off from time to time due to the high level of relaxation I was experiencing and thus missed some scenery from time to time.

All the trains were sold out, and the conversations with the fellow passengers at meals were wonderful. The constant theme was how much everyone was enjoying traveling by train, the majority of whom were first time train riders in the U.S. Second to that was how much everyone wished that Amtrak had better support from the government and the public.

All in all, this was one of the nicest, relaxing, enjoyable, true VACATIONs I've ever experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back