Rough Tracks

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by Bob Dylan, Oct 24, 2014.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Oct 24, 2014 #1

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

Since Henry Kisor just posted about the rough tracks between CHI and Memphis on the CONO Route, and its been several years since we had this subject discussed, what is your candidate for the roughest tracks on a LD Route currently being used?

Mine is on the SWC Route in Western Kansas but it sounds like the CONO Route (_which has been rough for years) is really getting bad!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
  2. Oct 24, 2014 #2

AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Conductor Gathering Team Member

I don't think the KS tracks woke me or kept me awake. I couldn't hear the rattling door until I put my hearing aids in the next morning. :eek: Then I remembered how people said the tracks were rough. Not long after I was awake and dressed we had slow orders through the rest of KS into CO, so the tracks were obviously not as bad as they could have been.

3. Oct 24, 2014 #3

bobnjulie

bobnjulie

bobnjulie

Lead Service Attendant

We slept like rocks through Kansas... our biggest thrill was dinner on the Empire Builder through a Dakota?? on our way to Chicago. We were really holding on through that dinner!

4. Oct 24, 2014 #4

xyzzy

x

xyzzy

Conductor

The segment of the Silver Star's route between Fairfax, SC and Cary, NC. Will knock the fillings out of your teeth. FRA Class III track at the limit (60 mph).

5. Oct 24, 2014 #5

Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I will second that nomination :eek: and add the tracks in Arkansas on the TE to the list.

6. Oct 24, 2014 #6

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

How could I forget my "home train" which I just rode last week from SPI-AUS???

I haven't been in the Star in 2 years, it must be getting really rough, the Meteor doesn't have as rough a route since the Silvers split through the Carolinas!

7. Oct 24, 2014 #7

SarahZ

SarahZ

SarahZ

Conductor

I didn't notice the tracks between CHI and Memphis. I don't remember them being rough. Then again, I've been on the SWC numerous times, and I don't think anything can beat the tracks through Kansas. Maybe, in comparison, I thought the CONO was a smooth ride. ;)

8. Oct 24, 2014 #8
    There's some rough track on the Card--maybe the "Bucking"-ham section? We were in the dining car and things on the table were dancing. (Not Amanda and me, honest.)

9. Oct 24, 2014 #9

CoachSlumber

C

CoachSlumber

Lead Service Attendant

I hear complaints about CONO in Mississippi. I'll check it out next week.

10. Oct 24, 2014 #10
    Returning to Chicago from Nawlins on the CONO tomorrow. I'll pay extra attention to the sections of rough track. But I don't expect to get much sleep.

11. Oct 24, 2014 #11

Slasharoo

Slasharoo

Slasharoo

Service Attendant

There was a section of track on last week's Meteor that wasn't rough but was rather disorienting none the less. We were going pretty slow, but the tilt was pretty constant and pretty severe. We had to hold onto the dining table to keep from sliding into the aisle.

12. Oct 24, 2014 #12

George K

George K

George K

Conductor

Update please! My bride and I are planning a trip next spring!

13. Oct 24, 2014 #13

SarahZ

SarahZ

SarahZ

Conductor

Ha. The tracks are like this in Michigan City, IN. Every time we stop at that station, I have to hold on if I'm on the "up" side of the train. The tilt is definitely noticeable.

14. Oct 24, 2014 #14

Dakota 400

D

Dakota 400

Conductor

I thought the ride for part of the way between New Orleans and Houston was much rougher than west of Houston. Even the Lounge Car Attendant agreed with me that it was rougher than usual when I visited her for a pre-lunch Bloody Mary.

Agree that the Kansas section was certainly not smooth, but, maybe it helped me to once again enjoy a good night's sleep in my Roomette.

15. Oct 24, 2014 #15

gdj

g

gdj

Train Attendant

I agree with the comments and silvers. I am a very sound sleeper so most times very little wakes me up. One time on the SWC in Kansas, we hit a stretch that shook so hard that for a few seconds I thought we were leaving the rails. Another time on the SS northbound I was up early and chatting with the attendant in the café. When I mentioned the roughness, he said that that a lady was thrown out of her bed and broke a hip. on an earlier trip.

16. Oct 25, 2014 #16

Big Iron

B

Big Iron

Conductor

The jointed rail on the Buckingham Branch of the Cardinal will rattle the ice in your cocktail but it sounds so dog gone good it doesn't matter to me.

17. Oct 25, 2014 #17

acelafan

acelafan

acelafan

OBS Chief

It's been about 2 years, but I remember a short (10 miles?) section of tracks east of Albany NY on the Boston segment of the LSL. Think it was near Chatham, NY. That was rattling everything in the car. We were really pokey-pokey on that section.

18. Oct 25, 2014 #18

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

Yes. The Amtrak maintained connecting track from CSX to the Albany station!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

19. Oct 25, 2014 #19

PRae_Train

PRae_Train

PRae_Train

Service Attendant

My notes for LSL 448 in August mention that it was a lot rougher than I had remembered from previous years, and lots rougher than the EB.

20. Oct 25, 2014 #20

xyzzy

x

xyzzy

Conductor

If the Silver Meteor, the Palmetto, and the Auto-Train can stay on the faster track (FRA Class IV) between Richmond and Savannah, the ride is fine. But if the dispatcher puts the train on the second track (FRA Class III), watch out. Much of the second track is still jointed rail, probably from the 1950s. Given the volume of traffic that runs on the ex-ACL, I find that rather incredible, but so it is.

21. Oct 26, 2014 #21

neroden

n

neroden

Conductor

I wonder if they'll upgrade that track soon. If they do, they'll probably do it after the major work being done from "Hoffmans" to Poughkeepsie.

22. Oct 28, 2019 #22

JC_620

JC_620

JC_620

Train Attendant

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I was curious if anyone might have any updates on any rough track? Namely the LSL, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, California Zephyr, or the Chief. The Chief runs 90mph I guess in some spots - does also anyone happen to know where exactly? Thanks!

23. Oct 28, 2019 #23

adamj023

a

adamj023

Train Attendant

The AutoTrain had several sections of rough track when I was on it and track work was going on at the same time awhile ago. One would hope that more sections of rough track get upgraded over time. Rough track is still safe and was the design that used to be used in the past. One could actually eliminate rough sections and keep existing tracks with train upgrades instead as it can be eliminated by either train upgrades or track upgrades.

24. Oct 28, 2019 #24

lrh442

l

lrh442

Segments with at least some 90mph running:
    Barstow-Needles-Kingman-Flagstaff
    Winslow-Gallup (lots) – Albuquerque
    KCY-Marceline-LaPlata-Ft. Madison

25. Oct 28, 2019 #25

crescent-zephyr

c

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

The Lake Shore runs 90 or 100 for a bit as well doesn't it?