Roommette and General Q's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike085

Hello,

Looking to book from Rochester NY to Boston on Dec. 24th and return around the 28th to visit family with my wife and 6 month old son. It's a 7-8 hour trip, but we're thinking of getting a roommette, possibly on the way down on the 24th only because I anticpated this would be the busier of the two travel days and we'd like to be together in case of a full train. I'm guessing, but could be completely wrong that, the 28th returning home won't be as crowded and coach should hopefully keep us together? I was hoping to only book a roommette one way as booking it round trip would be the same cost as flying, which if the prices were the same, flying would make more sense for us. I guess the big questions I had were; should the 24th have a more packed train than the 28th? Would a roommette make sense for 3 of us--I know it's a small room but she'll be sitting with us most likely the duration of the trip? Since there's 3 of us, in coach can seats be turned to face each other so the 3 of us could each have a seat in the same proximity?

Thanks,

Mike

Consider that BC is now available to/from Boston. Doesn't include meals, but is very comfortable. May price out well.

This brings up a question about meals for roomette travelers. I an traveling on the CZ from Denver to Sacramento in a roomette. Do I have to make reservations for meals or can I just show up?

They will let you know when you board. Usually dinner is reservation, sometimes lunch is, based on loads, breakfast is normally "first-come, first served"
And the Lead Service Attendant in the dining car will pass through your car and take your reservation.

There are no guarantees that you will get seats together, however Conductors typically do the best they can to keep a family together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back