Roomettes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travelchick45

Train Attendant
We will be on the SW Chief in June. We have 2 upper level roomettes Westbound and 2 lowers Eastbound. Are the uppers better?

We will be on the SW Chief in June. We have 2 upper level roomettes Westbound and 2 lowers Eastbound. Are the uppers better?
I much prefer an upper roomette located in the center of the car just for the view aspect alone. Whether this makes it "better" is a personal choice.

Uppers generally have a better view and easier access to the rest of the train. Lowers tend to be quieter (in terms of less neighbors) and have easier access to toilets, luggage rack and shower. It comes down to personal choice.

Location. Location. Location.

If you're healthy, I guess upper is better for the view and easier access to cafe, dining car, etc.

If you're elderly and hobbled with physical problems (as I am) making climbing stairs a problem, lower is better,

as meals can be brought to you in the roomette.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lower roomettes are closer to the tracks and the train's sway is minimized. They're also closer to the three lower bathrooms and shower room. They're also away from corridor traffic.

Uppers have better views and are closer to the dining car.

Whatever you get, be happy.

The only issue I had with a lower roomette was the group in the family bedroom. The "kids" were in and out of the room most of the night (door open and closing frequently). Other than that I was fine with the lower although the upper is more convenient for accessing the rest of the train. For my wife, the upper is preferred as she only has to climb the stairs once until we get to our destination.

The difference in height as far a view goes really didn't make any difference to me.

It is your own personal choice.

Besides the points already listed, all access to other cars (such as the diner and lounge) is from the upper level only. So you need to climb or decend the stairs once if your room is on the upper level. Except for 1 restroom on the upper level, the other 3 restrooms and the shower room (and of course the exit door to get out at fresh air stops) are on the lower level.

My own preference is the upper level. But to each his/her own. Nobody can say one is better than the other - only you can.

The first time I was assigned a lower level room I almost called and tried for a change. But then I thought I'd see what it's like there and turned out I love it and totally prefer it to the upstairs roomettes. It's nice because of the close restrooms plus I like to get off for a bit of fresh air when possible and the location makes it quicker and easier than when you're upstairs. My only tiny issue is that the coffee is upstairs but it's only a few stairs away. For me there is no difference or problem with the view.

I tend to prefer #3 - #8 for ease to the rest of the train, views outside, coffee in the morning, ability to leave curtains open during the night to watch the stars and the moon with no one staring into my room from the platform. I have found #13 & #14 can be really bad during the summer and holidays times because many parents allow their children to run wild opening and slamming their room door hour after hour, all day long, even during the night.

Just to echo what others have said.... Both have pros and cons. I personally prefer the view from the upper level. But I prefer how the train rides on the lower level. A little less sway.

Usually when I want to view the scenery I go to the lounge car anyways.

So look at it this way, you can ride both kinds and see which one you prefer!

My first amtrak ride we were put in the handicapped room on the lower level. Very spacious but you had to sit on the toilet to look out the window on that side I of the train, next trip we got the family bedroom. Still just two of us. The child beds were very small but great for sitting stretched out and looking out the window both are better than the little room ette for the same price in these two cases

The Accessible Bedroom is routinely sold at the Roomette rate.

The Accessible Bedroom is generally not available to non-handicapped customers until something like 24 hours before the train departure date/time.

The Family Bedroom is usually sold at 2x to 3x the rate for a Roomette.

However, if no one has reserved the Family Bedroom it's better to sell it close to the train departure date/time for the Roomette rate so the space at least gets sold.

I would think KauaiJohn that you paid the Roomette maximum bucket price both those times.

I didn't ask for those rooms it's what they gave me on departure. I'm sure I had only paid for roomette. Now days we get two roomettes, neither of us wants the upper

Thanks for the opinions. We have upper one way and lower the other. I thought about calling to change the lower to upper but maybe I will just leave it alone so we can compare.

I had #14 on the lower level when I rode the CZ this winter. I was very pleased. Quiet, smooth riding, and less hall light enters the room due to its configuration adjacent to the family bedroom.

This one's easy. YES!!!!! Uppers always better for the view. Plus you don't have to keep going upstairs everytime you want to walk around to other cars....

We normally are on the upper level, although we have been in the handicap room (which I DO NOT like) . I always take the top bunk so She Who Must Be Obeyed can lounge in luxury in the lower. I am always amazed that they did not lower the top bunk another foot (after all the lower sleeper has the luxury of the floor and the window to overcome the crowding this would cause) to make it not only wider, but less like claustrophobic. The ride sways less on the lower, however the sound of the trucks (wheels) can sometimes be overpowering.

To me its in the journey, and nothing beats Gore Canyon,,, although I am excited about seeing Raton this May when we Chief it to Grand Canyon,,,,,,,, enjoy your trip ,,, its good either way

Thanks for the opinions. We have upper one way and lower the other. I thought about calling to change the lower to upper but maybe I will just leave it alone so we can compare.
This sounds like a good idea, and then you will have your own opinion about which is better.
My advice would be to ensure that the two roomettes are across from each other. Unless I missed it, you didn't say, and no one else commented. The room numbers should be consecutive with the lower number odd. For example, 5 and 6 are opposite, but 6 and 7 are not.

I am always amazed that they did not lower the top bunk another foot (after all the lower sleeper has the luxury of the floor and the window to overcome the crowding this would cause) to make it not only wider, but less like claustrophobic.
If the upper bunk on a Superliner were to be lower, it would encroach on the window. It might be a fair trade; I also getting into and out of the upper bunk, as well as turning over in the bunk, to be an uncomfortable exercise. But smaller windows would be a disadvantage.

This sounds like a good idea, and then you will have your own opinion about which is better.My advice would be to ensure that the two roomettes are across from each other. Unless I missed it, you didn't say, and no one else commented. The room numbers should be consecutive with the lower number odd. For example, 5 and 6 are opposite, but 6 and 7 are not.
What she is saying is on #3, she has (for example) room #5 (upper level) and on #4, she has (for example) room #11 (lower level).

keep the window size the same and use some engineering smarts to make it work,,, and it would help the alpine mountaineering experience of climbing in as well,,,, there was no ergonomics expert involved in this design

I would suggest trying to get roomettes opposite each other. With roomettes opposite each other, you can more easily talk to each other (please don't shout) and more easily move from one room to the other. Many people will suggest spending most of your time in the lounge, but that might not always be practical or desirable.

If you do try to change roomettes and the agent tells you it cannot be done without an extra charge, either hang up and call again or ask for a supervisor. It can be done without an extra charge, if the roomettes are available. It might be that no pair of opposite roomettes are available for the length of your trip.

And with one even and one odd roomette, you are guaranteed to have windows on both sides of the train, for maximum view enjoyment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back