Roomette with children

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sandy

I was able to reserve a roomette by phone for two children and an adult by phone. The trip is from Tucson to New Orleans/35 hours. I haven't ridden the amtrak in 16 years but am aware of the size of the roomette. I was thinking we will probably spend most of the day in the viewliner anyway. There were no bedrooms available so the only other option was coach which I wouldn't consider seeing as the children are 6 and 10 and I wouldn't be comfortable at night with one across the isle. Just wondering what anybody's thoughts were on this. It would have been less than half the price to fly but one of the children has a heart condition which prohibits him from flight. I figure they are small enough to sleep together on the bottom bunk.

Two children that size should fit on the bottom bunk just fine. Enjoy your trip! :)

It will be tight, I'm in a viewliner roomette this exact moment. My 3 year old daughter and I are on the bottom bunk and it was too tight to lay side by side. It works head to toe.

Also in this scenario I would consider coach as opposed to cramming in one roomette. Luggage, even small bags will take up precious room. In the daytime config. you would have way more legroom and personal space in coach.

Since you're in a Viewliner roomette, I would suggest as soon as you board, to lower the top bunk. The top bunk makes for a great play area, and still has its own window should the kids want to check out what's outside. Even with the top bunk down, there is still enough headroom for anyone using the seats.

In Viewliners, there is a cubbie in the area that's basically the hallway's ceiling. Store as much of your luggage as possible in there, to keep it out of the way. I found small "carry on" sized luggage also stores well under the seats.

Bring appropriate entertainment for your kids. There is an outlet to power adapters, if such is needed (portable DVD player, DS, iPod, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
She's traveling on a Superliner. I think she meant to say sightseer lounge, not viewliner.

Also in this scenario I would consider coach as opposed to cramming in one roomette. Luggage, even small bags will take up precious room. In the daytime config. you would have way more legroom and personal space in coach.
That's what the luggage rack on the lower level is for.
It'll be tight but doable. Spending most of the day in the Sightseer will be almost necessary.

That's what the luggage rack on the lower level is for.
It'll be tight but doable. Spending most of the day in the Sightseer will be almost necessary.
They may find being in the roomette and looking out the window part of the time and playing games part of the time bbeing good also, maybe better in some ways. That makes napping easier for all involved. I do understand the need to sleep with one eye open in coach, but that also applies, possibly moreso in the sightseer.
If Tucson is home and their definition of normal terrain, the second day going across the swamps of Louisiana may be as facination to them as deserts and mountains are to people that find that terrain nearer their normal.

When I took two of my children with me on an Amtrak roomette many years ago (they were ages 8 and 6), I have them sleep "feet to feet" in the upper bunk and me in the lower bunk. They were very comfortable and had a great time.

Thanks to all for the input. Coach with no second adult was not an option. Due to my line of work I have seen what can happen to children and am not taking the chance of anything happening to them. I think the children sleeping with heads at opposite ends will work fine on the bottom. I am only 5'4" so I won't have a problem sleeping on the top bunk at all. As for the luggage, all but two carry ons will be checked. One with clothing and essentials and the other full of things to play with. I'm taking an empty back pack to throw toys/iPad and iPod in to carry to the sightseer lounge. Not sure if that is the proper name for it but where you look out at the terrain. There is usually plenty of seating and an area with bench type seats and tables if it is the same as it was years ago, and with what I have gleaned on line. I have a mobile hot spot on my phone which I can transfer Internet to the gadgets for them. I also have chargeable DVD players with ear phones. Again many thanks. I think the kids will have a great time and a good basis for...what I did on my summer vacation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back