Roomette set up for sleep

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Circus train

I'm taking the empire builder from Chicago, Union Station to NY Penn. I'd like the roomette set up for the entire trip for sleeping. Is that possible?

Assuming you are indeed going east on the Lake Shore or Cardinal, since those are Viewliner Sleepers if you are traveling alone I would suggest sleeping "upstairs" leaving the downstairs seats available for lounging. Unlike Superliners, Viewliners have upper bunk windows and plenty of headroom. I always tell non-rail enthusiast friends I have a 2 level "suite" with the bedroom and storage room upstairs and a day lounge and restroom downstairs :)

Thanks for the info. I'm much more comfortable laying in bed, looking out the window, reading, etc.

The Lakeshore leaves Union Station @ 930pm or later so your room will be made up for sleep when you board!

The Lakeshore runs single level equipment, hence your Sleeper will be a Viewliner!May I suggest that you consider sleeping in the top bunk since it has windows, and lots of head room!

OlympianHiawatha posted the same idea and it's a good one!YMMV

This way you could leave the downstairs in daytime configuration so you would have a place to sit, be able to change clothes and use the toliet and sink easier and have more room for your bags and stuff!

The top bunk is easy to slide up and down as needed and is very comfortable compared to a Superliner top bunk, aka the coffin! Talk with your SCA when you board and let them know what you would like, it' s your room!

Your SCA will want to put your room back into daytime configuration before you reach NYP so will want to do this after leaving Albany for the trip down the Hudson!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I'm much more comfortable laying in bed, looking out the window, reading, etc.
And by leaving the Roomette in "split configuration" you still have the option to use the seats at your leisure, but pay heed when you stand up as the bottom of the upper will be just a couple feet above you.

I have ridden the LSL east only two times, but both times the room was in daytime configuration upon boarding in CHI.

I have ridden the LSL east only two times, but both times the room was in daytime configuration upon boarding in CHI.
Was that when they still did the wine and cheese/grapes reception in the Diner where the SCAs had to help serve?

The many times I've taken #48/#448 my room was in night time configuration and I just put the bedding back up top before I went to the Diner!

Was that when they still did the wine and cheese/grapes reception in the Diner where the SCAs had to help serve?
The many times I've taken #48/#448 my room was in night time configuration and I just put the bedding back up top before I went to the Diner!
Yes to wine and cheese but no to SCAs there serving in the diner.

Yes. Before you go to bed, tell your car attendant that you want to keep the room in "sleep" mode for the whole trip.

Your SCA will be glad to keep your room in whatever configuration you wish. But it may be difficult to go from CHI to NYP on the builder.

I'm taking the empire builder from Chicago, Union Station to NY Penn. I'd like the roomette set up for the entire trip for sleeping. Is that possible?
*Joke* No you can't have your bed set up.. Since the EB doesn't run east of Chicago....

Serious.. I'm going to guess you're taking either the LSL or Cardinal to NYP. It's not an issue at all. Some attendants will ask when you would like your bed turned down. But since the LSL departs so late I wouldn't be surprised if the beds will already be turned down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back