Roomette questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marlene

I'm planning to take the Empire Builder from Minneapolis to Seattle and get a superliner roomette. How much space is in the upper bed? Since I'm short, I'll have that bed (hubby is 6'1" and gets the lower one). But I'm a bit concerned about feeling claustrophobic in that bed. So - any information you can give me (or other travel tips) would be appreciated! Thanks very much!

Hi Marlene, I haven't used that particular line, but I do think the upper berth is quite claustrophobic on certain trains. Some trains have no window at the upper berth, some have a window, which I find is better.

I am 6'2", and had to use the upper berth as my girlfriend is a rather too cuddly build!

Ed. B)

The sleeper that you'll be riding on is Superliner, a double decker car. Top bunk is quiet claustrophobic. You'll have about 2 feet between the bunk and ceiling. There's no window. It has like seatbelt on the opening side to prevent you from rolling off the bed.

Both bunk length are the same.

It comes with reading light and night light.

Just got back on the E B . Had roomette. Top bunk is quite close, also seemed a bit more noise to me form the rails. Maybe thats just me? Ride is very smooth. Crew was great. They went beyond the call of duty. We had some problems. All problems were taken care of. I do get a little claustrophobic at times. However after about 15 min. I was OK. Rails rock you to sleep. The next thing you know its morning. Have a good trip. Remember train travel can be an adventure, and I would not have it any other way! :D

You won't suffocate up there, the air vent is right there. In fact, if you don't like a lot of air you may want to direct the vent in other directions. I like it right on me.

Back