roomette questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

carolyn boersma

My daughter and I are travelling to and from Bingen/WHite Salmon WA from Chicago this summer on the Empire Builder, and I am wondering how much luggage I can take. As Bingen does not have baggage service, I know I am limited. The website says luggage is limited to 2 carry-ons per person. But I am not sure how 4 carry-ons would fit in a roomette!

Any other suggestions for first time travellers on the Empire Builder would be wonderful!

Hi Carolyn.....You will have no problems with your "carry on" luggage, as an ample storage area is provided in each of the sleeping cars. The cars are built on two levels with the luggage storage area on the bottom level. It is very convienient and very safe...with access anytime you wish. I just took (in March) my family of 4 on a trip from Chicago to San Francisco/Los Angeles. We booked a deluxe bedroom suite with 8 large bags. We basically kept all of our luggage in the storage area, which I should explain is a generous shelving area on the lower level. It was very handy for us as it will be for you. Enjoy your trip! You will have no problems with your bags! :)

Carolyn,

Rick is exactly right. I would add one thing though. Try to pack one of the smaller carry-on's with both of your overnight clothes, a change of clothes, and your toiletries.

That way you can keep the one bag in the room under the seat for easier access. The other three can go downstairs on the luggage rack.

THANKS! I had a picture of me, my daughter, and all our luggage crammed into the roomette! Sounded a bit tight! Do you know if they are very strict on the size of the bags? The website has size limitations of 22X28X14"...

Carolyn

Guest said:
THANKS! I had a picture of me, my daughter, and all our luggage crammed into the roomette! Sounded a bit tight! Do you know if they are very strict on the size of the bags? The website has size limitations of 22X28X14"...Carolyn
Well it's unlikely that you'll find someone standing there with a measuring tape. So if you're bag is slightly oversized, you'll probably get away with it, especially if you carry it on yourself. If you ask for help, then you'll have a bigger chance of it being noticed.

However if is visibly larger than the size restriction, then yes you may get stopped.

Carolyn.....I had the same worry when my family traveled in March. All of our bags met the size limits save for one. It was 25'' in height and 35'' in length. Nothing was said at all. This is not to say that it can't happen, as Alan has said, but as long as you're not bringing on something drastically oversized, you should have no worries. We traveled on SIX different trains and nothing was ever said. Really, as long as you handle your bags yourself...no "checked" baggage, as you mentioned in your original post, you will have no problems. Forget the worries and look forward to that trip......you WILL have a wonderful time! :D

My husband was also concerned about our suitcases. I just showed him some of the ones we had bought they were on wheels and they are within the size limits but he can't imagine where they would put eight suitcases in a four person coach.

Guest_Gingee01 said:
My husband was also concerned about our suitcases.  I just showed him some of the ones we had bought they were on wheels and they are within the size limits but he can't imagine where they would put eight suitcases in a four person coach.
I'm confused. Do you have a sleeper? A coach, which is not a sleeper, holds a lot more than 4 people.

We are just in a coach seat. It costs about a thousand dollars more for sleeping accomodations. We figured we could live 24 hours that way - I hope.

Oh, I reread your message again Alan. We are four people in the coach section with eight suitcases (maybe - have to make sure once we pack) and my husband's sleeping machine and maybe some small backpacks to put our snacks and reading material and cd player in.

Guest_Gingee01 said:
Oh, I reread your message again Alan. We are four people in the coach section with eight suitcases (maybe - have to make sure once we pack) and my husband's sleeping machine and maybe some small backpacks to put our snacks and reading material and cd player in.
You'll have plenty of room in coach, with overhead luggage racks and a storage area at the end of the car.

So you should have no worries about your bags. The room in a sleeper is very different than a coach.

Thanks again Alan. We leave Thursday and I will try to take pictures so someone like me maybe won't have to ask so many questions.

Guest_Gingee01 said:
Thanks again Alan. We leave Thursday and I will try to take pictures so someone like me maybe won't have to ask so many questions.
Don't worry about the questions. :) That's one of the main reasons that this site exists, so that people can ask and get answers to questions that they can't find easily, if at all, on Amtrak's website.

Back