Roomette Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In all my years, I have never had my room change from day-to-night, or night-to-day, without the Attendant asking first.
Me neither.

I have had the Attendant ask early on, like when he first introduces himself, when I liked my room changed, but I have never had one simply do it on their own. I would not want to worry about if I left, for example, something sitting on the table.

I don't think I've ever gone to breakfast and not found the bed converted back to the two seats. On the other hand, I've never had them make the beds up without asking first. But then my experience on sleepers is somewhat limited.

Is there a way to let the attendant know ahead of boarding that he doesn't need to make one of the bunks?

In my case I sometimes board a LD train in the middle of the night, finding both bunks made even though I only need one (and wouldn't mind making that myself). I'd like to save the attendant the trouble of making the unneeded bed and then unmaking it the next morning... can such a hint be added to a reservation and find its way to the attendant?

Or maybe it's just easier on the guy to make all of the beds rather than trying to keep track of which want what.

Is there a way to let the attendant know ahead of boarding that he doesn't need to make one of the bunks?
In my case I sometimes board a LD train in the middle of the night, finding both bunks made even though I only need one (and wouldn't mind making that myself). I'd like to save the attendant the trouble of making the unneeded bed and then unmaking it the next morning... can such a hint be added to a reservation and find its way to the attendant?
If there's 2 in the room, it is assumed that both bunks are needed. If there is only 1, it is assumed that he/she/it :lol: will want to sleep on the lower bunk. Besides, the upper bunk is already made up, and the mattress for the lower bunk is also kept on the upper bunk. If the upper bunk only was set before your arrival, where would the sleeper attendant put the other mattress? :huh:

Or maybe it's just easier on the guy to make all of the beds rather than trying to keep track of which want what.
Actually the attendant should know ahead of time if he/she needs to make up both beds, since they have a manifest that tells them how many are supposed to be in that room.

That said, most attendants assume that the lone passenger will want the lower bed made, since that is usually that case. The upper bunk is always ready to go no matter what, it's only the lower bunk that really requires any work to get ready. Therefore when they make the lower bunk up, even if you don't need the upper bunk, it's really already ready.

If the upper bunk only was set before your arrival, where would the sleeper attendant put the other mattress? :huh:
Well the smart ones just unfold the lower bunk's mattress on top of the upper bunk's mattress, creating a cushier bed than normal. That's what I do when I'm soloing in the room.

The other attendants either bring it to their own room and throw it up on their top bunk, or look for other places to hide the extra mattress.

I don't think I've ever gone to breakfast and not found the bed converted back to the two seats.
Wow, I find that very troubling. That means that your attendant is constantly spying on you, and keeping track of your every move. Otherwise, how does the attendant know you are in the dining car having breakfast, and not still fast asleep in your room?

I don't think I've ever gone to breakfast and not found the bed converted back to the two seats.
Wow, I find that very troubling. That means that your attendant is constantly spying on you, and keeping track of your every move. Otherwise, how does the attendant know you are in the dining car having breakfast, and not still fast asleep in your room?
Maybe because he left the door and/or the curtains open for everybody to see the place was empty?

Maybe because he left the door and/or the curtains open for everybody to see the place was empty?

Yes, because we leave the door open and because I asked him to wake me at 6 and told him I was going to breakfast. I, for one, am extremely thankful that they make up the bed automatically when I am at breakfast. As stated previously I can scarecly remember a time when the bed was not made up. And I am very pleased, I do not feel like he is spying on me at all

I want the attendent to be SORT OF a mother hen anyway. That does not mean I want them asking how old I am, how much I weigh, how much I have in the bank, etc but I do want some sense of personal attentiveness and awareness of what might be my needs.To some extent I want to be a tad more than "room 6".

I always end up staying late in the observation lounge every evening having a drink and chatting, my room is always made up when I get back. That would be close to midnight

If a car attendant is going to spy on me, he/she is certainly not going to see me do much that's exciting! :lol: No, actually I do leave the curtains open so that anyone could see in. And if it's early in the morning and I'm gone for half an hour or 45 minutes or so, I'm sure the attendant can put 2 and 2 together and figure out that I'm at breakfast.

I like attendants who are aware of who is in their car at all times, and especially who is supposed to be continuing to the next car (and shouldn't be going downstairs or entering any compartments) and who doesn't belong in the car at all (and needs diverting).

I like to stay up late. So a lot of times I just tell the attendant I'll convert the room myself. It's easy, just slide the chairs down to the sleeping position and take the already made up bedding from the top bunk and lay it over the folded down chairs.

I like attendants who are aware of who is in their car at all times, and especially who is supposed to be continuing to the next car (and shouldn't be going downstairs or entering any compartments) and who doesn't belong in the car at all (and needs diverting).
I wish those guys were around when I was on the Texas Eagle back 9 years ago or so... We had an extra Amfleet car between the Baggage and the sleepers, and those Amfeeters were constantly walking through the transition, sleepers, and dining car to get to the lounge. They were drinkin' our juice and coffee. Grr. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back