Roomette Pricing Problem

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Whoopi

Hi,

I have a huge fear of flying and I have to take the train. I've always had a roomette which has just been wonderful but because of some money problems I recently had to downgrade to a coachseat. The bad thing for me is I have tourettes and a 20 hour train ride with ticks is bad and VERY uncomfortable. I was wondering if anyone knows any accomadations amtrak can give me. Such as a 2 seats to myself so I won't be squished without paying for both. Or is there anyway for me to get cheap prices for the roomette any way? I'm a student. Is there any other service besides amtrak that has rooms that are cheaper. Is there a site where people sell cheap tickets? Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe if you called Amtrak and explained your situation they could book you into the handicapped room for a low bucket roomette price. I don't know if they only allow use of that for physical handicaps or not, but it never hurts to ask. Another thing to try is if your travel dates are flexible is check a few days before/after your intended travel date to see if the prices are cheaper. Also, if you can't get a cheap roomette ahead of time, once onboard the train ask the conductor to see if any roomettes are available and if so you can upgrade for a lower price. Finally, if you do end up in coach, I don't think it would be that huge of a deal. I think most people nowadays realize what tourettes is and if you explained up front to your neighbors they shouldn't be alarmed. You can also spend time in the lounge car if you feel like you are bothering others. Good luck and have a good trip!

I thought the handicap, or "H", rooms were for the mobility handicapped?

You can certainly ask Amtrak for an accommodation for your handicap, it reads as if the accommodation you are primarily seeking, is simply a major discount because you are a student.

Tourettes is something that should not be taken lightly. This "student" is actually trying to be proactive to be considerate others around him and avoid problems with intolerant others who might mistake his behavior as threatening. To imply thathe is trying to secure accommodations at a lower rate is really disrespectful. I do not know amtrak's policies on this matter. I suspect that the interpretations will vary based on who you talk to.

To the op, welcome to the adult world and keep acting like an adult in spite of the "adults" who dont act like adults.

It is always best to check with Amtrak directly with these kinds of policy questions as they make the rules and we don't always know when they are updated until someone obtains current information.

But, as far as I understand it, the H room is available for whatever the current prevailing roomette fare is for a particular departure. There is no further discount, so there is really no advantage in booking it unless you can not travel comfortably in a non-H room.

Try checking several dates as fares can vary greatly based on advance bookings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back