roomette prices online

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSue

Train Attendant
I have been looking at prices for roomettes on the SWC for September and playing around with booking two roomettes for four people. When I go to book the roomette for the round trip, it shows that the price is $281 but once it totals it at the end the first leg of the trip shows the total of the two roomettes as $762 and the return trip as as total of $562 like it should be, so it is charging $381 per roomette instead of $281. Can anyone tell me why???

It's because the fare bucket rose.

You may have checked first for 1 roomette, and got a price (that was a lower bucket), but that may have been the last one available in that bucket. So when you booked 2 roomettes, and one of them is in a higher bucket, it prices both to be the higher bucket fare!

Also, each train has their own buckets. Thursday's train may not be the same fare as Wednesday's or Friday's train! And on routes that have more than 1 train a day, the 4 PM train may have a different fare than thee 6 PM train!
ohmy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Last fall I was pricing a trip on the CL using Amsnag. If I recall, when I went to the Amtrak website, the fare as stated was the same as what I found on Amsnag. In the process of booking the trip online, the same thing happened to me. However, I stopped the process, went back to the beginning and the lower fare was still showing. I called the reservation number and I believe the told me the higher fare again. When I stated that the website showed a lower fare, the agent asked me to wait a minute, he came back and offered me the lower price.

This happened to me. I was making reservations for 4 people, getting 2 roomettes and the price kept changing. Amtrak kept showing one price, but when I selected the 2 roomettes, but the final price was quite a bit more. So I made a reservation for two of us and got the roomette for the displayed price. Then I went to make the second reservation, and the price was quite a bit more. After mentioning it on here, I must have gotten the last one in the lower bucket price.

My final resolution - we're getting the Family bedroom instead. My wife, being the second shortest, will take the lower child bunk. As suggested, we took taped out the area in our living room of our room and the bunk space. We'll be cozy, that's for sure.

Have a great day, everone,

Tom

This happened to me. I was making reservations for 4 people, getting 2 roomettes and the price kept changing. Amtrak kept showing one price, but when I selected the 2 roomettes, but the final price was quite a bit more. So I made a reservation for two of us and got the roomette for the displayed price. Then I went to make the second reservation, and the price was quite a bit more. After mentioning it on here, I must have gotten the last one in the lower bucket price.

My final resolution - we're getting the Family bedroom instead. My wife, being the second shortest, will take the lower child bunk. As suggested, we took taped out the area in our living room of our room and the bunk space. We'll be cozy, that's for sure.

Have a great day, everone,

Tom
Keep checking. Prices change and if they do, you mod your reservation at no cost. Use amsnag to check prices daily.

I've had that happen when trying to book two roomettes. It will give you one price but when you go to book, the price jumps way higher for both roomettes. I noticed if I changed it to one roomette I got the lower price. So obviously even though you put in two roomettes and it gives you the low price, there's only one available at that bucket. The problem is when you go to the next page it bumps the price up to the next bucket on BOTH rooms. It's problem in the system IMO.

Back