Roomette or bedroom?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

Is a roomette or bedroom better for one person? Personally, I think a roomette would be sufficient space for me on a long-distance trip, but because I've never traveled that way on Amtrak before, I'm not certain.

I'd want enough space to move around without tripping on myself, but nothing huge.

Thanks!

I've traveled alone for 10 years now & have taken roomettes & bedrooms. I will no longer take a bedroom by myself unless I hit the lottery. Especially after the AGR CHANGE!!! As others chime in you'll get a better feel for what's best for you!!!

Have Fun

2017-10-02_14-43-34_IMG_4452.JPG

2017-10-02_14-43-38_IMG_4453.JPG

2017-10-02_14-43-48_IMG_4454.JPG

Pics of my roomette taken from one of the seats. I may have been leaning back some to get as much into the pic as possible.

There is not much floor space in a Roomette for moving around. Even in a Bedroom, I would find it easy to "trip on myself," especially with the lower berth down. The only rooms with appreciable extra floor space are the Accessible Bedrooms.

One thing I find that is better in a Roomette is sitting in bed looking out the window. With a couple extra pillows, the bed along the window is perfect for watching the scenery go by in ultimate comfort. While a Bedroom is great for sitting upright and looking out the window, the bed perpendicular to the window is not so good for reclining and watching the scenery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maglev makes some points that came to me, too. I would add that the moveable partitions in most bedrooms can mean more noise than a roomette, unless you have adequate scraps of cloth to stuff in the jambs. On the other hand, I enjoy stretching out on the couch in the bedroom for a nap.

But for me, it is hard to beat the "I'm in my own personal cocoon" feeling that happens in a roomette!

Both Bedrooms and Roomettes are fine for one person. Two or more people and you might prefer a bedroom. The main issue with a Superliner Roomette is the poorly designed upper bunk. The method for climbing up is clumsy, it's always dark and cramped up there, and it's even possible to fall out when the tracks get rough. You can get used to it over time but it's not the sort of area that's inviting to relax in. The main issue with Superliner Bedrooms is the bizarre toilet/shower setup, the varying orientation relative to the direction of the train, and the creaking fiberglass dividers. I don't know much about the Viewliner versions so I'll let someone else comment on those.

I was in a Superliner roomette for the first time a few weeks ago and was amazed at how efficiently it is organized for one person (sleeping on the bottom bed--didn't look at the bunk bed). It has a little more shelf space than the Viewliner roomettes, and not having the toilet in the room adds a bit of space. I also found that sharing a bathroom was not the nightmare I thought it would be--on all the trains I was on, the SCA routinely cleaned the bathrooms, and everyone cleaned up after themselves as well.

I think both Superliner and Viewliner roomettes are fine for one person--also, in a bedroom, you are sleeping sideways to the movement of the train, which I find to feel a bit odd. For two people, though, I would definitely look for a good deal on a bedroom.

One hint for the lack of floor space in the roomette: take off or put on your shoes with the door open so you have a bit of the hallway to work in (after checking first, of course, that no one is walking along, so you don't trip them). This wasn't my bright idea--it was the row of wiggling socks in the Superliner that made me think of it!
default_tongue.png

P.S.--AmtrakBlue, I just found your chocolate stash hidden in your first photo! Too late now--I will have to wait for the next Gathering to try and raid it!
default_mosking.gif

For one person, I choose the roomette. There are less rattles and you can sit facing forwards no matter which direction the train is traveling. In the bedroom every other room the sofa faces opposite direction and the extra single seat is most uncomfortable for me. This means you may find yourself riding backwards while sitting on the sofa. I can do it but it just does not feel normal for me. Also, a few recent times I have been in bedroom because of the in room toliets and fact that bedrooms are over the lower level toliets, you can smell an order from time to time. Not a problem in the roomettes since toliets are all on the bedroom end of the train car.

If you use the net, it is virtually impossible to fall out, but regardless, the upper in a s/l sleeper is not as nice as in a VL. In the VL you have much more headroom, and a set of windows, it is way less of a cramped feeling. Also, if you are travelling solo the VL upper is a great storage shelf since it travels up and down, rather than folding out.

P.S.--AmtrakBlue, I just found your chocolate stash hidden in your first photo! Too late now--I will have to wait for the next Gathering to try and raid it!
default_mosking.gif
That chocolate stash (the M&M’s container) was in my hotel room while I was in Portland so you would not have found it.
default_wink.png

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

If you use the net, it is virtually impossible to fall out, but regardless...
What "net" are you talking about? You mean those loosey goosey straps that dangle from the ceiling and struggle to cover half of the fall down area? I've woken up in the middle of falling between the bed and the wall when the train hit a particularly sharp section of track, and I'm a big guy. I can only imagine what might be like for a child or small adult sleeping soundly over rough track.

I am a traveler who likes his "space", but find the Superliner Roomette quite adequate. The Viewliner Roomette's toilet set-up is not to my liking when in either day or night use.

I do like the Superliner Bedrooms, but using the shower within the toilet facility makes that facility unusable until the SCA wipes it down. I do appreciate the fact that one is able to sit while taking a shower. If the train is "rocking and rolling" when showering, it certainly is safer.

I do like the Superliner Bedrooms, but using the shower within the toilet facility makes that facility unusable until the SCA wipes it down.
Really?
I travel in Superliner Bedrooms routinely. I have yet to have the SCA "wipe down" the shower after use. I wipe down the "facility" myself and it is certainly usuable thereafter.

I've been using the AutoTrain almost monthly...at least every 2 months year'round....a hybrid Snowbird: 2 weeks down (Orlando)/2 weeks up (MD). Used the roomettes for years, but since retiring 4 years ago...always book the bedroom. I like my own bathroom. While I HAVE used the shower in the room...I usually like to spread out in the large shower downstairs. Something I've been doing the last few years is...don't make up the bed! I just ask for 2 sheets and a blanket, pull the couch out to lounge position, and sleep on that. That way I still have a lot of floor space. The roomette = 8" x 24" of floor-space when the chairs are in sleep position. As the old timers pass on...the newbe's have no idea what they are missing: wine & cheese reception, snack & cookie trays, wine included w/dinner, actually cooking (loooong gone). Now they "Press 1 for fish/2 for meat" and keep a boiling pot of frozen veggies for both.. 'Course when I take the niece (3 times/yr) we have to get 2 adjoining bedrooms and open the wall.

I've been using the AutoTrain almost monthly...at least every 2 months year'round....a hybrid Snowbird: 2 weeks down (Orlando)/2 weeks up (MD). Used the roomettes for years, but since retiring 4 years ago...always book the bedroom. I like my own bathroom. While I HAVE used the shower in the room...I usually like to spread out in the large shower downstairs. Something I've been doing the last few years is...don't make up the bed! I just ask for 2 sheets and a blanket, pull the couch out to lounge position, and sleep on that. That way I still have a lot of floor space. The roomette = 8" x 24" of floor-space when the chairs are in sleep position. As the old timers pass on...the newbe's have no idea what they are missing: wine & cheese reception, snack & cookie trays, wine included w/dinner, actually cooking (loooong gone). Now they "Press 1 for fish/2 for meat" and keep a boiling pot of frozen veggies for both.. 'Course when I take the niece (3 times/yr) we have to get 2 adjoining bedrooms and open the wall.
The only way I would be able to ride on the Auto Train is if I was with someone who has a vehicle. I cannot drive due to being vision-impaired.
default_biggrin.png

I do not like the upper bunk in a Superliner roomette. Very claustrophobic and there is virtually no room to move. If there are two people,a bedroom or sometimes especially on the Silver trains two roomettes will be cheaper than a bedroom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Amtrak Forum mobile app

IMO, the roomette should be very comfortable for one but many people use it for two. It all depends on your definition of comfort. In our case my wife is 6' tall and I'm 5'11 so we opt for the bedroom. Next year we will be doing a 9 hour day trip in a roomette CHI-OMA and that should work out fine.

During your trip you will be in the dining car and perhaps spend some time in the SSL. When you return to the roomette you will still have the two seats to yourself and a choice of beds. If money is no object then go for the bedroom but it can cost 2-3x what a roomette costs. IMO, traveling as you will solo in a roomette should be fine.

I do like the Superliner Bedrooms, but using the shower within the toilet facility makes that facility unusable until the SCA wipes it down.
Really?
I travel in Superliner Bedrooms routinely. I have yet to have the SCA "wipe down" the shower after use. I wipe down the "facility" myself and it is certainly usuable thereafter.

Really?
May I explain what I said?

By "unusable", I meant that until the shower/commode area was wiped down, using the commode would be a "wet" experience. I meant nothing more than that.

I'll admit that it has been some time since I have booked a Superliner Bedroom, but I don't remember either my traveling companion nor myself wiping down the shower/commode area. So, the SCA must have done so.

I'd like to add a negative comment regarding the V/L bedroom. There is virtually no room to walk between the door and window when the lower berth is made up for sleeping. The outer edge of the berth is about 9" from the toilet/shower wall, forcing you to squeeze sideways while bracing yourself against the back wall of the berth. Even the SCA couldn't navigate without falling face down onto the berth while making it up.

I'd like to add a negative comment regarding the V/L bedroom. There is virtually no room to walk between the door and window when the lower berth is made up for sleeping. The outer edge of the berth is about 9" from the toilet/shower wall, forcing you to squeeze sideways while bracing yourself against the back wall of the berth. Even the SCA couldn't navigate without falling face down onto the berth while making it up.
That problem with the bed side clearance is with all Amtrak bedrooms. The design could have been far better if the vanity and bed were decreased in width by about 1 inch but this wasn't in the plan as some travelers use the lower bunk for two. You just need to squeeze by and hold on. On a positive note the VZ bedrooms have a huge amount of baggage space and that's perfect for my wife who likes to take up to a dozen suitcases on an overnight journey. On our first Amtrak bedroom trip many years back, she took along a frying pan to cook breakfast before she found out about the dining car.

I'd like to add a negative comment regarding the V/L bedroom. There is virtually no room to walk between the door and window when the lower berth is made up for sleeping.
On our first Amtrak bedroom trip many years back, she took along a frying pan to cook breakfast before she found out about the dining car.
When I tried the Viewliner bedroom (just once, then realized it wasn't worth it for just me), I felt about 5 years old, kneeling on the bed to reach the sink to brush my teeth!
default_tongue.png

The frying pan reminds me of the expression (I don't know who said it) that taking Amtrak is a cross between going to a resort and camping!

Back