Roomette on upper or lower deck better?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cwhutch

Hi , I was wondering if there is a comfort or visablity differance between upper level or lower level roomettes . I already have my ticket for Chicago to Emeryville and a lower level room (12) , Should I ask for a upper on the return trip ? Thanks and I enjoy this site . Hutch

Comfort wise, the upper and lower are the same.

The lower offers the advantage of being closer to the majority of the bathrooms (3) and the shower. There is also less people walking by, since you pass from car to car on the upper level. There is however more track/road noise on the lower level.

The upper level, definately has the better view, thanks to the added height. It's also quieter as it relates to road noise. There is more people walking by on the upper level and if you're near the end of the car you'll hear the door to the next car opening and closing. There is also, only 1 bathroom on the upper level.

So the choice is really your's as to what's most important to you.

If you haven't been in an upper-level room before, I'd recommend booking it (if available), just so you can compare the two. Then, for future trips, you'll have a point of reference to decide which one you like better.

Do note, though, that if you have already booked the return trip, then changing rooms counts as a change in reservation. Therefore, if the sleeper fare has increased since you first booked, you will be charged the difference.

Comfort wise, the upper and lower are the same.
Aloha

I agree with Alan, except for this comment. Although for most reasons especially view I prefer the upper room. But The ride is smoother, less sway and the bumps seem softer in lower. Guess what is of importance, is noise or movement a factor for you to sleep.

As far as I am concerned just put me on a train, It's quieter than sleeping backstage at a Rock concert and much beter view, people are people.

Thanks everyone for the replys . I think I will try to get a upper . Its on the California Zephyr between Chicago and Emeryville and the view is most important I think. My total trip is the City of New Orleans from Hammond , La. to Chicago then California Zephyr Chicago to Emeryville 3 days in San Francisco and then the Coast Starlight Emeryville to Los Angeles 2 days there then the Sunset Limited to New Orleans . My first amtrak trip . HUtch

Aloha

Last September I was suppose to do the reverse trip. Thanks to the Huricane threat to New orleans I returned to LA on the Southwest Chief.

Enjoy your trip.

The visibiity is greater on the upper deck, all things being equal. But a lower room gives you the opportunity to clean your own window at a station stop, if it needs it.

Consider this: does the sway you will get in the upper bother you at night while sleeping? As for the 'view' argument, you will likely be spending a lot of time in the lounge car anyway. I always get the bottom room. I like the lack of traffic and the bathrooms. :)

Back