Roomette Location on Texas Eagle?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Gal

Train Attendant
Hi all! It's been a couple of years since I have posted but planning on another train trip this summer and have a question.

I just booked, online, a train trip on board the Texas Eagle to San Antonio for 2 adults and 2 children.

We got 2 roomettes on car #2132 going to San Antonio rooms 022 and 023.

Our return will be in car #2232 rooms 022 and 023.

We have traveled Amtrak a quite a few times and have had roomettes, bedroom and family room. I didn't recognize these room numbers and assuming this is the transitional crew car, which I have never traveled in before. I called Amtrak to see if these rooms are upstairs and are they directly across the hall, facing each other. They told me these are downstairs rooms and are directly across from each other. I asked if they had any upstairs that are available. They said there would be a fee of over 200 bucks if I switched. I never heard of this because I have switched roomette locations before without any fees. I told her it was fine that and I would stick to these rooms.

I found a layout online to see that these are upstairs rooms and not directly across from each other, but they are close. I called back to ask again and was told again that they are downstairs and they are directly facing each other. I left it at that but I cannot find a layout that states what they are telling me. Is there another layout that would match what they describe?

To clarify any confusion, I am not in the least being super picky but if I have an option I would love for our rooms to be directly across the hall so we can keep an eye on the kids if they are in one room playing games etc. and we can see them from the other room. It's also nice for us to have our doors open to quietly chat across the hall to each other. I will be happy no matter what, even if one room is upstairs and the other is downstairs and nothing else is available. But if I have an option and if available, I would like these locations. I probably should have booked over the phone but I have done this online before and able to switch without paying a fee.

Both people I talked to were very friendly but not sure if they had correct information. When I asked if these were in the crew car they didn't know that either.

I am just wondering if the people I talked to are correct in the information they gave me regarding the room location?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all! It's been a couple of years since I have posted but planning on another train trip this summer and have a question.

I just booked, online, a train trip on board the Texas Eagle to San Antonio for 2 adults and 2 children.

We got 2 roomettes on car #2132 going to San Antonio rooms 022 and 023.

Our return will be in car #2232 rooms 022 and 023.

We have traveled Amtrak a quite a few times and have had roomettes, bedroom and family room. I didn't recognize these room numbers and assuming this is the transitional crew car, which I have never traveled in before. I called Amtrak to see if these rooms are upstairs and are they directly across the hall, facing each other. They told me these are downstairs rooms and are directly across from each other. I asked if they had any upstairs that are available. They said there would be a fee of over 200 bucks if I switched. I never heard of this because I have switched roomette locations before without any fees. I told her it was fine that and I would stick to these rooms.

I found a layout online to see that these are upstairs rooms and not directly across from each other, but they are close. I called back to ask again and was told again that they are downstairs and they are directly facing each other. I left it at that but I cannot find a layout that states what they are telling me. Is there another layout that would match what they describe?

To clarify any confusion, I am not in the least being super picky but if I have an option I would love for our rooms to be directly across the hall so we can keep an eye on the kids if they are in one room playing games etc. and we can see them from the other room. It's also nice for us to have our doors open to quietly chat across the hall to each other. I will be happy no matter what, even if one room is upstairs and the other is downstairs and nothing else is available. But if I have an option and if available, I would like these locations. I probably should have booked over the phone but I have done this online before and able to switch without paying a fee.

Both people I talked to were very friendly but not sure if they had correct information. When I asked if these were in the crew car they didn't know that either.

I am just wondering if the people I talked to are correct in the information they gave me regarding the room location?

Thanks!
See this old forum: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/31548-transition-sleeper/

Rooms should be upstairs. No, they do not appear to be direclty across from each other, but at an angle.

Thanks for the link. I agree about what they layout states but wondering what the 2 people, at Amtrak, that I spoke with are referring to. They both told me something completely different than what this layout reads. I am guessing that there is another type of sleeping car that you cannot find an online layout for?

I am also assuming Amtrak now charges to switch roomettes? I have never had to pay a fee before to switch from one roomette to another.

It's all good. We will still have a great time, I am just curious about the info they gave me.

You will be in the crew car, and my guess is that the price change involves moving to the thru sleeper that connects to the Sunset. It may be at a different price due to traveling longer route. My suggestion would be just check with whoever boards in 21 and ask them and/or sleeper attendant about swapping. Probably no big deal...

Edited to correct spelling...

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, Tex? you could call the 800 number 3 times, talk to 3 different people and get 3 different answers where the roomettes are located. I'm willing to bet if you tell the SCA as you board, they will help you switch so you can be across from each other OR the other passengers will be more than happy to do so. I can't imagine anyone NOT helping!

:help:

You will be in the crew car, and my guess is that the price change involves moving to the thru sleeper that connects to the Sunset. It may be at a different price due to traveling longer route. My suggestion would be just check with whoever boards in 21 and ask them and/or sleeper attendant about swapping. Probably no big deal...
That would make sense for a price increase. Thanks!

Rooms #22 and #23 are upstairs in the trans-dorm car. It has no rooms downstairs! Unless you meant Roomettes #12 and #13, which are downstairs in the regular sleeper!
I have the reservation and it clearly states room #22 and #23 going there and back. I guess the people I phoned at Amtrak thought they were downstairs and directly across from each other.

Honestly, Tex? you could call the 800 number 3 times, talk to 3 different people and get 3 different answers where the roomettes are located. I'm willing to bet if you tell the SCA as you board, they will help you switch so you can be across from each other OR the other passengers will be more than happy to do so. I can't imagine anyone NOT helping!

:help:
Yeah, I noticed that in the past getting different info.

Thanks for the info everyone. We will have a great trip regardless! :)

I am thankful for the information given here. I didn't want to call back until I had the correct details.

I just called Amtrak and a lady who answered was very helpful. She made a change with no issues whatsoever and no charge. I think the person yesterday quoted me a price for another sleeper car. We are still in the same car with rooms across from each other, 21 & 22 going and returning.

I am excited and can't wait to go!

I am thankful for the information given here. I didn't want to call back until I had the correct details.

I just called Amtrak and a lady who answered was very helpful. She made a change with no issues whatsoever and no charge. I think the person yesterday quoted me a price for another sleeper car. We are still in the same car with rooms across from each other, 21 & 22 going and returning.

I am excited and can't wait to go!
Good luck on your trip. I have switched rooms on multiple trains and was NEVER asked to pay a fee. I would use the online system to make reservations then call to move the rooms because online you can neither select nor even find out what rooms you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back