Roomette Bed Turndown

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainLoverJoy

Lead Service Attendant
I know the beds are made up when boarding The Texas Eagle from LA at 10pm, I'm hoping they aren't already made for the 6:40 departure of the Capitol Limited from Chicago.

I just got off the Eagle on Monday.....don't know why I called it The Chief!!

Last edited by a moderator:
They're not. If the SCA is worthy of his or her paycheck they will ask you shortly after boarding when you would like them turned down.

No they won't be made, also I think the dinning car will be closed, so you might want to get a couple extra snacks in the lounge to take with you.

That is the normal situation but with the Capitol Ltd leaving from Chicago 2-3 hours late, it could change? Wishing for the CL & LSL to get back to timetable schedules soon.

The dining car on the CL is usually open and serves dinner to sleeping car passengers at its normal departure time. On the later departures you may be given a voucher for food for dinner or they may keep the diner open later.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a normal Cap departure time the Diner is open for Dinner and you make a Res in the Metropolitan Lounge. But when I rode it last Summer, even after everyone made a Res in advance, the LSA came through to take Dinner times with no idea what was going on. She was pretty inept to say the least, allowing seatings to quickly fall behind by an hour, just like the train :)

I know the beds are made up when boarding The Texas Chief from LA at 10pm, I'm hoping they aren't already made for the 6:40 departure of the Capitol Limited from Chicago.
Has BNSF gone back into the Passenger Train Business and brought back the Texas Chief? ( which didn't run to LA!)

I know you meant the Sunset/Eagle!!

When we've boarded the SL/TE 422 Sleeper in LA, we either had the bed in our bedroom put back or did it ourselves. We put them into sleeping mode ouselves when WE were ready, NOT for the 10 PM departure!

She was pretty inept to say the least, allowing seatings to quickly fall behind by an hour, just like the train :)
Remember that shortly after departure from CHI, the CL enters the Eastern Time Zone, while the dinner reservations are/were made based on CT. Thus the 7:30 pm reservation is being called at 8:30 pm local ET!
That was taken into account; I had a late Res and didn't get called until almost an hour after that adjusted for Time Change. She was the kind that wanted to clear each seating before bringing in the next, not taking into account people lingering and farting around after eating. Needless to say several other pax in my seating group were far from happy having to cool their heels in the Lounge, especially when empty tables could be seen.

I've never seen the beds made up on the eastbound CL, but I have seen reservations both ways. Sometimes they've taken them in the Metro Lounge, sometimes onboard. Either way, as the_traveler pointed out, they've always made a huge deal about the time zones, and which time zone the diner would be serving in.

I mean, a REALLY BIG DEAL about the time change. I get that most people aren't even paying attention to the announcements, so they have to make the dining car rules clear. But the extent to which they talk about the time change... it's like they're trying to coordinate a NASA rocket launch. At some point, you'd think they'd realize that everyone who's going to listen to the announcements & understand the concept has already done so. Announcing it for the 11th time isn't going to make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back