Roomette and Bedroom Pricing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for explaining that. Wonder if there were, say, only two roomettes shown available for the posted bucket fare, would booking for more than four people give a peek at the fare for the next bucket? Hmm-m-m. One way to find out is to try it (if I can remember what I just wrote!)

Edit: Tried it and it seemed to do just that - show the next bucket price. Found there were 2 roomettes available on the EB from CHI to SEA on 30 Mar 2015.

• For 2 seniors the basic fare was $295.80 (or $147.90 each) plus $243.00 for 1 roomette = $538.80

• For 4 seniors the basic fare was $591.60 (or $147.90 each) plus $486 for 2 roomettes (or $243.00 each) = $1077.60

• For 6 seniors the basic fare was $887.40 (or $147.90 each) plus $1062.00 for 3 roomettes (or $1062.00 - $486.00 = $576.00 for the one additional roomette - instead of the $243.00 for each of the previous ones.

So did doing this actually reveal the next roomette bucket fare? Or did it merely conk the Amtrak fare selection monkey on the head with a monkey wrench?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use Amsnag for a large window of potential dates (30 is the maximum), you will often see up to 4 different prices posted, depending on the day, for each room type. That would tell you the current prices for 4 buckets.

I've been checking fares the hard way so long I'm just stuck in a rut. Must get familiar with Amsnag to save time. Time for what, I don't know, but have heard saving it is good thing.

Also sign up for fare watch. It will send you an email when there is a change in the fare price. I recently upgraded from roomette to a bedroom. First time in bedroom. Great space in daytime configuration. Very limited floor space with bed made. Loved private bath. While in-route on my first leg, I decide to seek out an upgrade from coach on my second leg. Only room available last minute was family bedroom, $209 from CHI to KCY. Using eVoucher I had cut that about in half. What an enormous amount of space for one person. I mentioned to car attendant I'd switch with someone who might need the larger space, but he didn't seem to grasp what I was offering. First time in lower level room. Ride was fantastic.

I'm pricing a trip on CS and it's $298 or 260 if I forgo business class on the Surfliner. It's 15000 points if I do a redemption.

6 of one half a dozen of the other?

Must get familiar with Amsnag to save time. Time for what, I don't know, but have heard saving it is good thing.
When I was younger, I saved time. Now, I spend time--on Amtrak, when I travel.
I'm pricing a trip on CS and it's $298 or 260 if I forgo business class on the Surfliner. It's 15000 points if I do a redemption.

6 of one half a dozen of the other?
I would not redeem points at $0.02 per point. I buy them at that price.

One thing I noticed on a recent series of fare searches for the SL was that several "buckets" appeared to only hold a single room. The website said only one room left and the price went up as soon as I bought my ticket and it continued to claim there was only one room left in the next bucket. Every few days the price would increase but always with only one room left at that price. If you select two rooms the price would increase. If you selected three rooms it would increase again and so on. That's not something I've ever seen before.

I'm beginning to think that there is a gremlin working in the IT dept at Amtrak. :ph34r: :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back